Search…

dark-rebel
Experienced
Topic Author

Initital Setup Questions and Improvements

19 Mar 2017, 15:12

Hi,

i am now finally going to set up my page and have some initial setup questions:

1. What is the recommendes maximum size in pixels for an intro/mainpage with slider? If i use 12-24 MP files, i get very long loading times. So whats you recommendation in pixels for the longest side of the pic as maximum?

2. is there a "hide" function for folders/subfolders, so that is is not shown in the menu. I have planned a category "blog" and it would be good to have a chance to set it up and review it before it is visible to the whole public.

3. special characters in the menu - is it planned to have in the future the possibility to also use in the menu items "&" and "/"? I know that you have a certain structure in the naming of folders. Would be just helpfull if you group more than one topic in one menu item eg "Nature & Architecture" ...

4. How to add instagram, 500 px and so on in the contact form as icon? Are these icons already existing?

Thanks a lot!

Stefan

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Initital Setup Questions and Improvements

20 Mar 2017, 01:03

dark-rebel wrote:1. What is the recommendes maximum size in pixels for an intro/mainpage with slider? If i use 12-24 MP files, i get very long loading times. So whats you recommendation in pixels for the longest side of the pic as maximum?
ALL images in X3 should be optimized for displaying on the WEB (friendly sizes and load-times), and that's why we have as DEFAULT "resize to 1600px" for the panel uploader. I would recommend at most 1600px - 2000px (long side), which creates a reasonable file-size yet retains high resolution (high quality) for most large screens and retina devices. When you state "12-24" MP, that would normally be images 5000px or longer. Using this size is unproductive, since the image will normally scale down to less than 2000px anyway, and the visitor is loading large image-sizes for no reason.

Generally speaking, always resize your images for the web.
dark-rebel wrote:2. is there a "hide" function for folders/subfolders, so that is is not shown in the menu. I have planned a category "blog" and it would be good to have a chance to set it up and review it before it is visible to the whole public.
TWO options:
  1. Give your folder a name without number. For example "blog" (instead of "2.blog). Leaving out the number will make the page invisible to the menu, but leave it accessible by URL.
  2. Or simply go to page settings -> menu, and select "Hide page from menu". It will still be accessible by URL, but nobody will see it in the menu.
dark-rebel wrote:3. special characters in the menu - is it planned to have in the future the possibility to also use in the menu items "&" and "/"? I know that you have a certain structure in the naming of folders. Would be just helpfull if you group more than one topic in one menu item eg "Nature & Architecture" ...
You can already use any characters in the menu label (page settings -> details -> menu label)
I think perhaps you are mixing the restrictions of FOLDER NAME with menu label. The FOLDER NAME is restricted (and correctly so) because it creates the URL segment for your page, for example yourdomain.com/mypage/. You can't use special characters in URL's (eg yourdomain.com/my?p/age/ ... That won't work, and neither is it functional for any visitor.

THUS, folder names should be as-simple-and-short-as-possible (for sake of URL), while you can extend how it displays in the menu by editing "menu label" page setting.
dark-rebel wrote:4. How to add instagram, 500 px and so on in the contact form as icon? Are these icons already existing?
Yes, icons are available in X3, as http://fontawesome.io/icons/ is already loaded into X3. See example:
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/features/sample/ (scroll down to font-icons)

Not quite sure what you mean "add in the contact form" though. If you want to use custom icons, this requires adding basic custom html code (as explained in both links above).

dark-rebel
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Initital Setup Questions and Improvements

21 Mar 2017, 14:27

Thanks Karl, this was a perfect response to my questions.