Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Mi.Rog
Topic Author

Image background and slider

31 Jan 2017, 14:36

I noticed that pictures are being previewed on very dark background (gallery page), which can be slide up and down.
The background is hardly visible, I also don't get the idea of sliding.
I would like to turn it off - the main reason is that I to hide the slider which disturbs viewing of pictures in full screen mode.
Can it be done?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Image background and slider

31 Jan 2017, 22:48

Mi.Rog wrote:I noticed that pictures are being previewed on very dark background (gallery page), which can be slide up and down. The background is hardly visible, I also don't get the idea of sliding.
You speak of the X3 POPUP when an image is clicked? Yes, it displays on a black background, set to 95% opacity so the website behind is just about visible, but does not interfere much.

Not sure what you mean "which can be slide up and down". SCROLLING up/down will CLOSE the popup. This is native behavior for all mobile devices, so visitor can swipe up/down to close the popup instead of having to find the "close" button. This is how it works in native mobile applications, and also useful for trackpads (most laptops).
Mi.Rog wrote:I would like to turn it off - the main reason is that I to hide the slider which disturbs viewing of pictures in full screen mode.
Sorry, I am not sure what you want to turn off. With "slider", do you mean scrollbar? Normally, the popup will CLOSE when scrolling, unless only scrolling a few pixels.

You can change the background opacity if you want from Settings -> Popup -> Opacity:

Mi.Rog
Topic Author

01 Feb 2017, 13:21

OK, now I got it.I simply did not understand the "pop up concept" :) Now it's clear to me, I experimented with opacity, looks great.
Yes, I meant scroll-bar. It is present to the right and one can scroll the background with it. What is the purpose of that? I don't mean anything, just asking. It disappears in full screen.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Feb 2017, 22:09

Mi.Rog wrote:Yes, I meant scroll-bar. It is present to the right and one can scroll the background with it. What is the purpose of that? I don't mean anything, just asking. It disappears in full screen.
It's a good question. I can summarize this into a few points:
  • First of all, the scrollbar is only visible in some Windows (OS) ... On Mac (OS) and ALL mobile devices, the scrollbar appears "on-scroll", and is never a physical part of the window itself  (it simply overlays the window). In the future, I anticipate most browsers will work like this by default.
  • We can't really remove the scrollbar. The only way to achieve that, would be to temporarily (on popup open) set the height of the entire document to 100% window height, and block scrolling (height: 100%; overflow: hidden).
If we implement the last point above, there are three new issues:
  • Open and closing the popup will create "layout thrashing", because the WIDTH of the website will change when scrollbars are removed or re-added. This means the browser needs to re-render the website content based on new width.
  • Preventing scrollbar from showing will also block any scroll. This means the "scroll down to close" would not work, and this is vital feature for mobile devices. We would have to make the fix OS-specific, and there is not really any way to check what scrollbar-mechanism the visitor is using (it would have to be applied on Windows-only).
  • The document scroll would "jump" to top of screen (scroll position 0), since the document is basically "un-scrollable". 
I'm sure the "fix" could be considered, but essentially, the scrollbar is simply a part of your browser that we can't change.

Scrollbar on Mac and mobile devices:

Mi.Rog
Topic Author

02 Feb 2017, 04:37

Thank you for thorough explanation :)