X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

HiFly260
Experienced
Topic Author

Popup - control size

06 Jan 2024, 21:23

Hi, 

(how) can I control the image size when going to popup - I have size settings wide to narrowest in the gallery, but can't see how to set it for popup ... 

Harald 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Popup - control size

06 Jan 2024, 23:36

HiFly260 wrote:(how) can I control the image size when going to popup - I have size settings wide to narrowest in the gallery, but can't see how to set it for popup ... 
It's unclear what you are trying to achieve here. If your image is 3000 px and the screen is 1600 px, the image will scale down to fit the screen 1600 px. If your image is 800 px, it will display at 800 px (half screen). The popup will display the image at best size for the screen, always scaling down to fit screen, but never scaling up beyond pixel dimensions.

If your images are displaying "too large" (which is unusual), then the question would be why have you uploaded them at this size in the first place, if you never want them to be seen at that size. Also, did you consider your requirements from all screen sizes (massive, large, medium, mobile)? Personally, when viewing images on my Macbook 14, the best photos are displayed scaled up to be contained within the screen, taking advantage of the screen size and the image dimensions.

HiFly260
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Jan 2024, 00:22

ok, thanks - that seems to be it, I had 700 images from my old website - can generate in larger px to fix this then. 
Just in gallery, they seem to become larger than their actual px size, if I select wide or default, was just wondering why for "popup" there are no such size options ... 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Jan 2024, 00:41

HiFly260 wrote:Just in gallery, they seem to become larger than their actual px size
This could happen for example if you are using the grid layout and only have a single item uploaded, the grid would become a single 1x1 grid, and if the image is very small, it might get scaled up to fit the grid. Unlike the popup, the layouts will shift images to suit the grid and not vice versa.

There is another factor you might need to take into consideration here, and that is screen pixel density. Your screen might for example be 3840 x 2160, but displaying "like" 1920 x 1080 (CSS resolution), to create more natural sizing instead of making everything incredibly small. This is often referred to as "retina screen", and it allows images and fonts to become more clear although still scaled down. However, images will still scale up to maximum pixel dimensions to match the CSS resolution, which means images may look larger than if for example opened in Photoshop or another local desktop app.
HiFly260 wrote:was just wondering why for "popup" there are no such size options ... 
The popup is designed specifically to showcase a single image on screen, un-cropped, without scroll at best dimensions for the screen, without scaling pixels beyond original dimensions (causing blur). It doesn't really make much sense to have scaling options within the popup. At best, you would be scaling an image smaller than it's capable of displaying on the visitors screen, degrading it's viewing quality.