Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ed_f
Experienced
Topic Author

dropdown-menu too long, entries no more visible on notebook

16 Sep 2023, 08:17

using my notebook looking at my site I now realise that a grown menu has now more entries than visible and at least with firefox on my linux-mint-notebook there is no scrolling possible. how to solve that?

JMM
Experienced

Re: dropdown-menu too long, entries no more visible on notebook

17 Sep 2023, 00:16

Ed, I've noticed the same thing happening to me for quite a while.

Karl,

In addition to Ed's problem on his notebook with Firefox, this is happening to me using Chrome-based browsers (Brave, Iridium & Microsoft Edge) on a 1080p monitor.  This also happened before upgrading to 3.32.0 recently.

I have a folder (gallery) that has 42 subfolders.

When any gallery (i.e. not the home page) is selected, for example HERE, if I try to display the content (subfolders) as shown in the attached screenshot, in the folder (column) on the right, only the first 24 (out of 42) subfolders are displayed, as shown in this screenshot:

I am able to scroll down slightly, to display an additional 5 subfolders, in which case then the first 29 (out of 42) folders are displayed, as shown here:

This problem does not really impact me, as this X3 site is for my own use only, and when this problem happens I know that I can just go to & select the parent folder, at which time all 42 folders are displayed.  But I can see where this would be a problem for people who use their X3 sites for professional reasons.

I do acknowledge, however, that I myself might be the cause of this happening to me in my case, due to some Custom CSS that I'm using on this X3 site for other things, but that might be causing this problem.

Regards
John
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Sep 2023, 00:19

It's an entirely normal challenge for everyone building a website, and there are many solutions. The whole point of topbar menus are for it to be rather usable and simple for the visitor. Sidebar layout is better for extensive folder structures, and that's why this is always use for file browsers etc.

1. This is why there are many different menu options, including the carousel and mega menu list as in the X3 demo.
  2. If you have extensive menu items, it's not unusual to choose the sidebar layout option, which is optimal for deep/long menus.
  3. Another option for long menu lists, is to disable the child pages from displaying in the menu, and instead the user will view all the pages from the page that contains them. For example, see this website and click portfolio in the menu ... As you can see, portfolio pages are not listed in the menu, but directly from the /portfolio/ page. Quite useful, as you don't need to always squeeze everything into the menu.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Sep 2023, 00:25

JMM wrote: Image
This amount of child menu items is simply not useful in topbar dropdown menus. Even if they would fit the large screen, it's very tedious to navigate. For archive-like websites, you should consider sidebar. That's why you will see the demo.files.gallery is very simple and intuitive to navigate with a heavy folder structure.

That, or disable long menu items and simply allow the user to view child pages from within the page that contains them:
mjau-mjau wrote: Another option for long menu lists, is to disable the child pages from displaying in the menu, and instead the user will view all the pages from the page that contains them. For example, see this website and click portfolio in the menu ... As you can see, portfolio pages are not listed in the menu, but directly from the /portfolio/ page. Quite useful, as you don't need to always squeeze everything into the menu.
There is no magic wand for "too long" topbar dropdown menus, except for re-thinking the navigation logic.