Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

What would you recommend as a limit (if any) for the number of pictures in a gallery (folder)?

13 Aug 2023, 01:53

Hello, Karl,

In your experience with X3 over the years, have you ever experienced a situation whereby an X3 gallery (folder) had too many pictures in it, to the point that it caused problems with/for X3 ?

I realize that in most situations having them split up into sub-galleries would be best, but I find that in certain situations having single folders with lots of "similar" pictures is better for my needs, so I can browse a single folder to select similar pictures to view, rather than knowing which separate folders contain those similar pictures  :upside_down:.

The only down-side that I've found (so far) is that if in control panel I forget and have Gallery set to Edit Mode, with that many pictures in a single gallery, X3's control panel will hang & popup a notice a few times telling me that the page is unresponsive, and allowing me to Wait or Exit the page.  So whenever I am working on those handful of large galleries, I always try to remember to switch to List View before selecting those large galleries in control panel  :slight_smile:.

But I'm wondering if there are any other X3 problems that I have not discovered yet & am therefore unaware of, by having that many pictures in a single gallery.

At present, I am still working on 2 or 3 galleries that will contain many pictures in each, maybe not a thousand but at least quite a few, but for now those few galleries are still hidden.  So I have temporarily created a test gallery (folder) HERE on one of my public sites for testing purposes, and placed about 1,275 pictures in it (I had to copy the same pictures many times to the same folder, to get the quantity of pictures that high for testing purposes).  Those are NOT the actual pictures that will go into those large galleries... this test folder is just to see how X3 handles over a thousand pictures in a single gallery.  From my end, it looks & displays OK.

So back to my question here, from your perspective, what would you recommend would be good-practice for limiting (if at all) the number of pictures in a single gallery (folder)?

Thank you in advance & have yourself a great weekend.
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: What would you recommend as a limit (if any) for the number of pictures in a gallery (folder)?

13 Aug 2023, 07:05

From the visitors (usability) perspective, there is no precise answer to this question. Too many images in one page, and it could become awkward to browse/scroll. Too many folders, and the navigation can become complicated and confusing. From a "photography website" perspective, one would normally recommend to simply limit the amount of photos on display (normally a selection of best quality photos, which would more than satisfy the visitor, as they aren't there to view all 1000's of photos). From an archive-like gallery (as in your case), limiting the amount of photos is not an option. Personally, if I had 1000+ images (like in your example), and there are no clear categories to separate by, I would indeed try to squeeze all into one page.

There are technical solutions like "pagination" and "infinite scroll" which improve some technical issues, but you are still stuck with loads of images in one page.

From a technical perspective, adding 1000+ photos on a single page should work "OK" on desktop, but may easily become sluggish on mobile devices and/or old devices.

I think that pretty much sums it up. It will become sluggish to navigate, and it's not incredibly user-friendly to scroll 1000+ images (but then again, there aren't really any definite solutions for this).
JMM wrote:The only down-side that I've found (so far) is that if in control panel I forget and have Gallery set to Edit Mode, with that many pictures in a single gallery, X3's control panel will hang & popup a notice a few times telling me that the page is unresponsive, and allowing me to Wait or Exit the page.  So whenever I am working on those handful of large galleries, I always try to remember to switch to List View before selecting those large galleries in control panel
I have never actually heard of this, but I can imagine it could happen in the browser, if it is looping too many objects. This would be proportional to the gallery becoming sluggish.
JMM wrote:But I'm wondering if there are any other X3 problems that I have not discovered yet & am therefore unaware of, by having that many pictures in a single gallery.
Not that I can think of. If it works for you, and you are not too worried about slow/mobile devices, then it should be ok.
JMM wrote:So back to my question here, from your perspective, what would you recommend would be good-practice for limiting (if at all) the number of pictures in a single gallery (folder)?
Difficult to quantify, but going beyond 2000 images would definitely be asking for trouble. Your example page works fine also on my Macbook Pro, but it won't work nicely with 5000+ images for sure.