Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

Is it possible for Description to also be displayed over Panorama images?

21 Dec 2022, 06:09

Hello, Karl.

Although I have both a Title and Description assigned to THIS panorama image, only the Title is displayed.

As a work-around for now, for THIS OTHER panorama image, what I did was add a description to the Title line, using <span class="mybreak"> to separate the title & description, as follows:
Code
<span style="color:yellow">
<small>
My village where I lived from 1981 until 1983: Hügelsheim, Municipality of Rheinmünster, Rastatt District, Karlsruhe Region, Baden-Württemberg, West Germany.
<span class="mybreak">
<span class="mybreak">
<small>
Shown are 2 of the restaurants where I ate many of my meals... and had many a beers: first in view is the Gasthaus Grüner Baum (Green Tree Inn) on this side of the street, followed by the Gasthaus zum Schwan (Swan Inn) on the other side of the street, both on Hauptstraße (Main Street).
</small>
</small>
</span>
</span>
</span>
I don't actually have the code above in the Title on separate lines as displayed above... the above is only for clarity for you to see what I've done... for my Title, everything's on 1 single line  :relaxed:.

Note that I have 2 mybreaks in the above code, trying to force 2 linebreaks, but only 1 linebreak is implemented.  The single linebreaks work great for many of my folder titles on most of my X3 sites, and seem to work fine here for the panoramas too, except here just 1 linebreak is recognized.  What I did, as a work-around for now :sunglasses:, is to separate the 2 mybreaks with a space, as follows:
Code
<span class="mybreak">&nbsp;<span class="mybreak">
Question 1:  My first question is, is there a way that Description can also be displayed over Panorama images, similar to how Title is displayed?

Question 2:  If not, is there a way that I can force 2 linefeeds in these situations?  Possibly I will require a 2nd Custom CSS for the 2 linebreaks?  My current one, for 1 linebreak, is:
Code
/* Adds line-breaks to titles */
.mybreak {
  display: block;
}
Question 3:  I have added map coordinates to a couple of my panorama images (including the Panaroma image in the 2nd link above), but the map buttons are not displayed.  Are map buttons something that cannot be included with panorama images?

Question 4:  What is the purpose for, and is it normal for, the Title displayed over Panorama images to be displayed as a hyperlink?  Clicking on the Title/hyperlink doesn't seem to do anything.

Thank you in advance & have yourself a great day.

Regards,
John
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Is it possible for Description to also be displayed over Panorama images?

21 Dec 2022, 09:59

Let me answer your questions in short for now:

1+2. By design, the panorama is set to only display title on ONE line at the top. This is because, unlike the image popup, there simply is no room for title + description + other image meta data displaying in a multi-line block. There are important interface items at the bottom of screen, and remember that this also has to looks nice on mobile devices where captions would wrap onto multiple lines. Therefore, the panorama top left title is by design only meant to display title, and is actually furthermore designed with certain CSS attributes that prevent it from "wrapping" to new lines. Therefore, attempting to "fix" this is kinda going against the design concept in the first place.

I could perhaps look into some CSS fixes that allows the text to WRAP onto multiple lines. I can't vouch that this is a great idea, but it should be ok. You don't need to force "line breaks" ... I just think we need to remove the CSS that forces elements on the title to remain on the same line.

3+4. If you check our demo link below, you will see that clicking the title shows description and coordinates in an overlay.
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/plu ... =dubrovnik

For some reason, there is an error when clicking the caption. I will need to look into it tomorrow. This answer is also related to 1+2, since full title+description will display in the overlay, so that you don't need to squeeze all this info directly into the panorama interface. This was how it was intended by design, with limited title at top, with more details available on title-click.

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Dec 2022, 18:46

I could perhaps look into some CSS fixes that allows the text to WRAP onto multiple lines. I can't vouch that this is a great idea, but it should be ok. You don't need to force "line breaks" ... I just think we need to remove the CSS that forces elements on the title to remain on the same line.
No need to do this, now that I know the way it's supposed to work.  Thanks anyway.
For some reason, there is an error when clicking the caption. I will need to look into it tomorrow.
Thanks for looking into this for me.  I believe my panorama images are what is causing the problem.  I temporarily copied the 3 sample  panorama pictures from my site's |examples|plugins|panorama folder to a test folder on my site, and their captions work correctly when they're clicked on.  So, something in my panorama pictures is preventing the problem when they're clicked on, but I know nothing about panorama images & therefore have no idea what could be causing this problem.

Thanks in advance for anything that you can find.

Regards,
John
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Dec 2022, 21:16

It's actually not clear to me why it's working in the test folder, but not the other folders. Could you create a copy of one of your items, and try to remove the <html> tags from the title, and also add a basic description?

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Dec 2022, 22:20

It's not that the images in the test folder work but not the other folders.  It's the 2 images from your default Examples folder that work.

I also copied 2 of the images from your Examples folder to this location HERE, so they are now in the same folder as my panorama image that does not work.

As requested, I removed all the html coding from the title, and my image simply has Test for the title, and no Description.

So, of the 3 images that are in the same folder, my image does not display anything when the title is clicked, but your 2 example images that come with X3 do display the popup when the title is clicked.

So it can't be the folder that they're in, and instead there must be something with my panorama images that are causing the problem.  I wouldn't think that it's encryption, as they display fine, etc.  It's just that clicking the title hyperlink that does nothing.

Is it maybe that for my panorama images, I have nothing in the Parameters fields?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Dec 2022, 22:25

Ok I know what the problem is, and it has to go down as a bug ...

Your images contain EXIF data, and this is breaking the overlay function. I will look into this for next release. For now, you would need to either 1. Strip the image meta data from images, something which can be done in the resize/compress process (or use an app or online service). Or 2. Just remove the "link" style from the text, and accept that it can't be clicked.

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Dec 2022, 22:53

I tried a few methods by installing software & also online to remove the meta data, but no luck.

How do I do it in X3, during the resize/compress process?  I unchecked both "Copy ICC color profile" and "Store image settings in image as IPTC", but still no luck.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Dec 2022, 23:09

Personally, I use ImageOptim, but that is Mac-only. Basically I selected "strip meta data" with "lossless" compression, so it didn't really change much in your already-compressed image. You can download the file here:
https://file.io/R0mAf6LDTO4k
I tried a few methods by installing software & also online to remove the meta data, but no luck.
It seems it "almost" worked. I see the new image was stripped from general camera-data, but it still have width/height settings stored in EXIF, and we need to unpopulate EXIF.
How do I do it in X3, during the resize/compress process? I unchecked both "Copy ICC color profile" and "Store image settings in image as IPTC", but still no luck.
This is unrelated. It's about copying color profiles to resized images, and how captions are stored. Besides, when you upload without using the "resize" option, X3 won't change anything in your uploaded original images.

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

24 Dec 2022, 04:56

Thank you, Karl, I downloaded the file that you stripped the data from, and it worked perfectly.

As I don't use a Mac, I found a website that strips Meta data for people online, and once I ran each of my panorama images through their website to strip all Exif data, I am now able to click on each image title to successfully display their respective overlay.

There's no doubt lots of such websites out there, but in case anyone needs to strip Exif data for images on their X3 site, the one that I found & used is VerExif

Thank you again, Karl, for discovering what was causing my problem.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Dec 2022, 05:14

JMM wrote:There's no doubt lots of such websites out there, but in case anyone needs to strip Exif data for images on their X3 site, the one that I found & used is VerExif
:clap: :thumbsup:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Sep 2023, 06:29

The panorama EXIF related bug was fixed in X3.32.0. See release post:
photo.gallery/blog/photo-gallery-x3-32/