X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Search engine optimization for the folders

04 Nov 2022, 04:47

Hello,

I would like to have a better findability of my posts in subfolders and wonder what I can do for this. I googled the titles of my blog entries on the page, and I can't find any links that lead to these entries. But search entries are listed, in which the searched titles are shown incidentally as text from the menu in images from my page.

For a better explanation here is an example:

I search for a unique title of a post of mine
2022-11-04 09_43_40-Window.jpg
2022-11-04 09_43_40-Window.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
2022-11-04 09_37_37-Window.jpg
2022-11-04 09_37_37-Window.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
It also finds an entry on the first page, but it is an older picture in my gallery. In its test in the search result still other titles of blog entries are listed.
2022-11-04 09_38_16-Window.jpg
2022-11-04 09_38_16-Window.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
When I open the link, I end up at this image. But there the titles of the blog entries are not listed directly. 
2022-11-04 09_38_38-Window.jpg
2022-11-04 09_38_38-Window.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
How can I optimize this? When I search for "The ordeal of a Skywatcher EQ8-R", I would like the link to this article to be listed in the search engine. 

Is the cause that under SEO in the entry I do not enter the information another time?
2022-11-04 09_43_40-Window.jpg
2022-11-04 09_43_40-Window.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
I'm sorry, I hate this attachment management of this forum software because it does not work correctly. First of all, the images should show with the title marked in blue on the page, as well as the input in the search engine. Then the search result on Google, and then the image with the search result open. And last the screenshot from the Panel.
Attachments
2022-11-04 09_39_09-Window.jpg
2022-11-04 09_39_09-Window.jpg (64.76 KiB) Viewed 5985 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Search engine optimization for the folders

04 Nov 2022, 05:19

Dane wrote:I googled the titles of my blog entries on the page, and I can't find any links that lead to these entries.
How long have your blog entries existed? It could take many weeks for them to get indexed by Google, after creation or editing. When I search for one of your titles, it shows up on the top spot, so it definitely works:
Dane wrote:I would like to have a better findability of my posts in subfolders and wonder what I can do for this.
To make SEO very simple, the three most important factors (that you can influence yourself):
  1. Page <title> tag. If you want a different display title on the page, you can use page > SEO > Title to create a unique tite for the <title> tag, that search engines will use.
  2. Text on the page should be useful and include the same words and a similar topic as your <title>
  3. The URL (folder name) should include a few keywords from the title.
Dane wrote:I can't find any links that lead to these entries.
What entries? Can you be more specific?
Dane wrote:But search entries are listed, in which the searched titles are shown incidentally as text from the menu in images from my page.
It's not clear what you mean by "search entries". Google may display different text in the search results, for the same page, depending on the text in the search.
Dane wrote:I search for a unique title of a post of mine
2022-11-04 09_37_37-Window.jpg
This page hasn't yet been indexed by Google. It's maybe 2-3 weeks old? Give it more time!
Dane wrote:It also finds an entry on the first page, but it is an older picture in my gallery. In its test in the search result still other titles of blog entries are listed.
Google will can spend 4-8 weeks indexing pages, but might index your home page more often. It may therefore display data from your "old" pages (until re-indexed). It might also display a page that refers to the page you are searching for, if the target page has not yet been indexed.
Dane wrote:How can I optimize this? When I search for "The ordeal of a Skywatcher EQ8-R", I would like the link to this article to be listed in the search engine.
Your blog post is in German, and the search string is in English. Why would non-German speaking Google-users have any interest in arriving on a German post? Google acts on the best behalf of it's users. It could still get listed, but lower down, because it's generally less useful for the user if the are searching English and/or can only read English. Also, as noted, I can't see that this page is yet indexed, so it should go higher for search for the page in German.
Dane wrote:Is the cause that under SEO in the entry I do not enter the information another time?
No. The SEO section is only if you want different (extended) SEO data for your pages, when page TITLE (visible to humans) is not sufficient for the <title> tag (used by robots). You can use the SEO Title to create better SEO titles if you feel that there is more info than "The ordeal of a Skywatcher EQ8-R" related to the search.
Dane wrote:I'm sorry, I hate this attachment management of this forum software because it does not work correctly.
Yep, attachments are a bit clumsy, because it's an old forum system. Looking forward to update to Flarum, which we are already using in our forum.files.gallery.

metallissimus
Experienced

04 Nov 2022, 06:03

If you want to go down the rabbithole of SEO I can recommend the free version of seobility as a starting point. They analyze your website and rankings and point out how you can improve: seobility.net/ And it's German, which maybe makes it a bit easier.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Nov 2022, 10:18

Thanks for the answers. 

The entries are only a few weeks old. I thought that might be enough. Maybe I have to wait a little longer. I see that some entries are displayed as in your example, and some are not displayed.  I guess I have to wait a bit here.