Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

metallissimus
Experienced

Re: Split the blog into two categories

17 Oct 2022, 07:50

mjau-mjau wrote: I don't know what you mean "home page of the homepage".
In German (unfortunately) it's common to use "Homepage" when referring to the whole website.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

17 Oct 2022, 08:18

That is unfortunately expressed a bit unfortunate. I meant the home page of the website, the first page. For me, the page lists the most recent photos. I would find it exciting to have a smaller column next to the news stream, to list other information such as the headlines of the five newest blog entries. Maybe that can be included as a suggestion for a newer version.

I managed to activate the drop down menu, but it always automatically lists all posts. my idea would be to only open the two categories that you can click on.

(Thats the wrong screenshot, here should be the one with the red, green, blue marks)
2022-10-17 14_17_32-Kontaktformular.jpg
2022-10-17 14_17_32-Kontaktformular.jpg (128.54 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
I have currently to test the carousel activated, which I find quite interesting. Can you make the images here a little smaller, and remove the black frame? Strangely, in the time "Items" no "Frame" is listed. I think I like that. or is that too pompous?
2022-10-17 14_17_32-Kontaktformular.jpg
2022-10-17 14_17_32-Kontaktformular.jpg (128.54 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Attachments
2022-10-17 14_11_03-Kontaktformular.jpg
2022-10-17 14_11_03-Kontaktformular.jpg (190.35 KiB) Viewed 2775 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Oct 2022, 01:13

Dane wrote:I would find it exciting to have a smaller column next to the news stream, to list other information such as the headlines of the five newest blog entries. Maybe that can be included as a suggestion for a newer version.
There is an option to display folders of other pages, for example posts from a category ... However, it generally displays with images, and there is no "sidebar" option (for several reasons, including the fact that this does not work for mobile devices). Ultimately, X3 simply does not have the infrastructure to maintain advanced blog features, because it runs of folders and not database.
Dane wrote:I managed to activate the drop down menu, but it always automatically lists all posts. my idea would be to only open the two categories that you can click on.
I thought the point of using lists was to also show some/all of the posts? Else what's the point if you are just going to show two items in the sub-menu? It's almost the same as the default dropdown menu that you disabled earlier on in this post, to force users to first click "blog".
Dane wrote:I have currently to test the carousel activated, which I find quite interesting. Can you make the images here a little smaller
In Blog page settings > Menu > Dropdown Options > Carousel>Crop Preview images. Select something like 3:2, although tall images may not be appropriate for cropping like this.
Dane wrote:, and remove the black frame? Strangely, in the time "Items" no "Frame" is listed. I think I like that. or is that too pompous?
Maybe see how it looks with much small cropped images? I don't see how the frame has much negative affect, but it could always be removed with some CSS.
Dane wrote: 2022-10-17 14_17_32-Kontaktformular.jpg
"Why is there so much space?"
I need to see this example to explain in detail, but the dropdown menu columns will generally resize so that all columns are the same width. Else you would end up with something like this:

[link1][Thisitemsimplyhaswaytoomuchtextwhatsthepoint][page]

It looks to me like your posts are using very long titles and/or url's. Nothing wrong with that (although it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to keep url's short either, as you have title's, labels and SEO options). However, this is making menu items unnecessary long, and hard to read in menu's ... You can use a page's LABEL to create shorter keyword-like menu labels. For example, "Making Of The Exploding Bubble" could be "The Exploding Bubble".

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Oct 2022, 02:33

Thanks Karl, for the input. 

I understand that X3 is not designed for extensive blogging, that's fine as it's not primarily my focus either. Even if it may seem so at the moment. 

Regarding the drop down, I think we misunderstood each other. With the two items in the submenu I meant the two categories. I don't want any items to be listed in another additional submenu. So you move your mouse over "Blog", and then only the two categories pop up, nothing more. 

The other point would be, I set lists. I find this interesting, but too many posts are displayed. Interesting would be only the five newest entries. one drives with the mouse over "Blog", and then drives down the menu with two columns for in each case a category on, there stands in each case the title of the category, and under it then the five newest Posts. So similar to the current with the photos. But I suspect that requires major changes, which is why I have deselected the list again. 

Thanks for the hint regarding the titles. I may have chosen really long titles. I'll give that some thought. Basically I can choose shorter titles, and longer ones for SEO. I have not thought about it here yet. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Oct 2022, 03:45

Dane wrote:Regarding the drop down, I think we misunderstood each other. With the two items in the submenu I meant the two categories. I don't want any items to be listed in another additional submenu. So you move your mouse over "Blog", and then only the two categories pop up, nothing more.
I think I understood this. My response was to you using the LIST dropdown, which is made to show two levels of sub-folders (in your case, "posts"). If you don't want to display posts, then CAROUSEL displays only children or you could use plain dropdown (showing the two categories, with posts hidden).
Dane wrote:The other point would be, I set lists. I find this interesting, but too many posts are displayed. Interesting would be only the five newest entries. one drives with the mouse over "Blog", and then drives down the menu with two columns for in each case a category on, there stands in each case the title of the category, and under it then the five newest Posts. So similar to the current with the photos. But I suspect that requires major changes, which is why I have deselected the list again.
This can be achieved with CSS, by "hiding all posts, except the first five". I would probably need to ask for access to your website to add a CSS fix like this.
Dane wrote:Thanks for the hint regarding the titles. I may have chosen really long titles. I'll give that some thought. Basically I can choose shorter titles, and longer ones for SEO. I have not thought about it here yet.
There is nothing wrong with long TITLE's or even long URL's (inherited from folder names). This may even have a positive effect on SEO (although there is a separate page SEO section, which can assign page meta <title> independently from the display title). This is however why the optional LABEL input exists, because menu items should be short, compact and concise when listed with other menu items. If you have long title's or url's, you may consider using the LABEL input to optimize your readable menu labels, used in the menu.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Oct 2022, 05:51

I think that was my problem with the drop down setting in the menu. I have not found the setting to hide the posts so that only the main categories pop up. 

We can try this out with the CSS, I'll write you a message. 

Thanks Karl!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Oct 2022, 06:16

Dane wrote:We can try this out with the CSS, I'll write you a message. 
https://www.linsenschuss.de/blog/

I added the below to Settings > Custom > Custom CSS:
Code
.list-inner a:nth-child(n+7) {
  display: none !important;
}
It hides the <a> links starting from #7. We show 6 links, including the category link.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Oct 2022, 06:24

Thank you! It looks much better, clearer. Maybe there is some place for more. So i can simply increase the number in the CSS?

Do you think it would be possible to add some text between the category title and the list? For example "The last XXX entries"?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Oct 2022, 07:10

Dane wrote:Thank you! It looks much better, clearer. Maybe there is some place for more. So i can simply increase the number in the CSS?
Correct.
Dane wrote:Do you think it would be possible to add some text between the category title and the list? For example "The last XXX entries"?
I think it can be done with a CSS ":after" fix, although the design is getting a bit fragile at this point. Where exactly would you add it? Above the horizontal line or below? Or after the title in small? How does the user know it's not a link? You would need to do some additional text styling to make it clear it's help-text.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

18 Oct 2022, 08:15

Good question. I think it's good to have the category at the top, and the line below. Best under the line then the text "Last XX entries". And yes, your idea is good that this text should be formatted a little differently. I suggest also something more discreet like the line which is slightly darker. 

Perhaps it would then also make more sense if the listed titles all have a bullet in front of it. Like when you hover your mouse over it, a bullet also appears in front of it. This would also make the listed topics stand out a bit from the text above them, which has no bullet. 

What do you think?
suggestion1.jpg
suggestion1.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 2757 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Oct 2022, 00:30

Ok, I added "Last 5 entries", which can be edited/styled under Settings > Custom > Custom CSS.
https://www.linsenschuss.de/blog/

I also tried to add bullets, and although it worked, it causes problems when long entries like "Der Koffer ..." force the bullet to break to a new line. The code is there, but commented out ... You can try it if you like.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

19 Oct 2022, 02:23

Many thanks Karl, it looks good for me!

In my case, it didnt brake to a new line with the long title. Perhaps it depends on the resolution?

Maybe a small correction is still possible here? The new text is also linked and is highlighted in blue when you hover over it. Maybe you can limit the linking to the category title only?

Also, the arrow in front of it is somehow shown in the middle, which was previously positioned in front of the category.

I tried to add another space bar between the bullet point and the title, in which I just added that to the CSS, in which I added a space bar next to the point. But unfortunately that doesn't carry over. What can I insert here?
Attachments
2022-10-19 08_17_19-Linsenschuss.de - Fotografie von Dane Vetter.jpg
2022-10-19 08_17_19-Linsenschuss.de - Fotografie von Dane Vetter.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
2022-10-19 08_15_41-Linsenschuss.de - Fotografie von Dane Vetter.jpg
2022-10-19 08_15_41-Linsenschuss.de - Fotografie von Dane Vetter.jpg (24.28 KiB) Viewed 2751 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Oct 2022, 03:40

Dane wrote:In my case, it didnt brake to a new line with the long title. Perhaps it depends on the resolution?
It's fine with margin 2px for the •, but broke when I increased the margin to for example 5px. Just know that this • is close to breaking onto new lines, and then it won't work.
Dane wrote:Maybe a small correction is still possible here? The new text is also linked and is highlighted in blue when you hover over it. Maybe you can limit the linking to the category title only?
This CSS fix (hack) means the text is actually part of the link. You can assign a specific color to it, in which case it won't change on mouse hover, but it's still part of the link click area.
Dane wrote:Also, the arrow in front of it is somehow shown in the middle, which was previously positioned in front of the category.
I can't be fixing all the issues that are occurring from hacking something up from your requests unfortunately. This is not how it is implemented in X3. If you want to look at a proper solution, I need to charge for it.
Dane wrote:I tried to add another space bar between the bullet point and the title, in which I just added that to the CSS, in which I added a space bar next to the point. But unfortunately that doesn't carry over. What can I insert here?
Increase the MARGIN, which I set to 2px ... But as noted above, at some point, the line will break and it won't look right.

Spaces don't work in HTML like this. They are collapsed to single space.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

19 Oct 2022, 06:15

Many thanks Karl. I write you a PM for the proper solution if its possible.