X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Split the blog into two categories

12 Oct 2022, 10:02

Hello,

I'd like to split my blog into two categories, and I'm wondering how to do this in a meaningful way. I think it would make sense if you click on "Blog" in the main menu for me, then a page appears with the two categories. Maybe even with some kind of showcase what can be found there in each case?

How do I implement this in a meaningful way?

Thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Split the blog into two categories

12 Oct 2022, 10:24

Well, it's hard for me to make a good suggestion without a good understanding of your categories. "Blog" is just a word of course, and you could have two separate sections for example "stories" and "updates", and they could be entirely separate in the menu ... They don't need to go under one "Blog" section. In my opinion, this is up to you and how you want your visitors to perceive your "categories" ...

Without knowing what you already have in the menu and what your "categories" are, personally I would considering keeping them as separate top-level menu items. Must they be inside a "Blog" folder? That would only make sense if the categories are highly related.
Maybe even with some kind of showcase what can be found there in each case?
This is another factor you need to consider. A "blog" is basically a collection of pages, so you would not have a showcase. You could include a separate "showcase" page inside each blog of course, and link to it manually, or keep it at top (many options). I'm struggling to make better suggestions, because it depends ...

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Oct 2022, 10:36

Thank you! I understand your what you mean. 

For me, it just turned out that the posts in my blog are dedicated to two topics, and I would like to just separate them cleanly. But I do not want to enlarge my main menu with two blog links, but continue to have only one blog link in the menu. From there, the interested parties should then be able to decide which of the two topics they find interesting. 

I do not know myself yet exactly how this should look. 

Perhaps the blog link will lead to a page that briefly introduces the two categories, and then link to hidden folders with the respective blog entries?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Oct 2022, 10:54

Dane wrote:For me, it just turned out that the posts in my blog are dedicated to two topics, and I would like to just separate them cleanly. But I do not want to enlarge my main menu with two blog links, but continue to have only one blog link in the menu. From there, the interested parties should then be able to decide which of the two topics they find interesting.
When I read that you want to separate them cleanly, one would assume you want the visitor to perceive them as separate sections. If they can't have their own main menu item, then of course the other alternative is to use a top level "blog" with child pages "category1" and "category2".
Dane wrote:Perhaps the blog link will lead to a page that briefly introduces the two categories, and then link to hidden folders with the respective blog entries?
Yes. You can either display the categories in the main menu under "blog", or you can hide them so that the visitor will always click "blogg" first, from where they can choose and click a category.

To achieve the latter, you wouldn't actually "hide" the pages. For the blogg page > menu settings, you would select "hide child folders".

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

12 Oct 2022, 12:05

Thank you! Maybe you can take a look on my changes:

https://www.linsenschuss.de/blog/

Can you tell me please, how i can center those both categories at the startpage of the blog? And it is possible, to show this two images a little bit larger?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Oct 2022, 00:17

Dane wrote:https://www.linsenschuss.de/blog/
Can you tell me please, how i can center those both categories at the startpage of the blog? And it is possible, to show this two images a little bit larger?
Looks good, but I would modify the layout a bit, especially since you know there will always be only two items there. Personally, I would display two images non-cropped with text below, but since the two images are different aspect (landscape vs portrait), you may need to keep crop.

Under Blog > Settings > Folders, you should definitely change grid from "3,2,1" to "2,2,1". You might also want to add the captions directly under the images also, so they are a bit more emphasized, since visitor is clicking a page.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

13 Oct 2022, 13:04

I played around a bit. I think I like the current format quite well. I still have to see if I can find better photos. I still have set that the number of posts are displayed in the description. But they are labeled "galleries". Can I change the word also, in e.g. blog entries?

Thanks also for your suggestion to highlight the description better. I somehow can't find the setting to do that though. Do you have a tip?

https://www.linsenschuss.de/blog/

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

13 Oct 2022, 13:06

And another question: In mobile view, this is a bit unfortunate. Only one category is displayed at the beginning, the second one is hidden. Is it possible to configure it so that both categories are displayed side by side in the mobile view, like in the desktop view?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Oct 2022, 02:52

Looks better now.
Dane wrote:Can I change the word also, in e.g. blog entries?
That would require translating the "Galerien" text, but only for the blog page. Add the below to Blog page Settings > Advanced > Page CSS:
Code
[data-lang="folders"]:after {
    content: 'Blog entries';
}
Dane wrote:Thanks also for your suggestion to highlight the description better. I somehow can't find the setting to do that though. Do you have a tip?
Not quite sure what you mean. There are many ways to display a caption, and you have chosen caption hover, which is rather minimalistic, essentially meant for simply image descriptions. I already suggested changing to inline captions above or below images, but you didn't seem interested. There are no additional settings to "emphasize" the caption overlay that you are using, but you could use CSS to for example increase the font size.
Dane wrote:And another question: In mobile view, this is a bit unfortunate. Only one category is displayed at the beginning, the second one is hidden. Is it possible to configure it so that both categories are displayed side by side in the mobile view, like in the desktop view?
This is not logical. How would you find room for two columns with titles and descriptions on small mobile screens? This is the entire point of responsive layouts. Here is the layout as it would look on a 374px wide mobile:

You can change the page's folders grid option to "2,2,2", and it will show two columns also on small screens. Not recommended, or you would need to some CSS tweaking to make it look acceptable.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

14 Oct 2022, 06:52

Thank you!

I put the CSS into the oage CSS settings, but i dont have any changes. Is there something wrong?
2022-10-14 12_51_37-X3 Panel.png
2022-10-14 12_51_37-X3 Panel.png (57.68 KiB) Viewed 3217 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Oct 2022, 23:25

mjau-mjau wrote:
Code
[data-lang="folders"]:after {
}
Sorry, the selector wasn't specific enough to override default. Use this:
Code
.folder_amount[data-lang="folders"]:after {
}

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Oct 2022, 11:49

Thank you you much Karl, it works now!

I set the content in the top, where i write the information that there a two categories. So when somebody use a mobile device, he get the information that there is more then one categrorie thats showed at the first time.

I set the content in the top, where i write the information that there a two categories. So when somebody use a mobile device, he get the information that there is more then one categrorie as thats showed at the first view.

Can you show me please, to reduce the distance above and below the content? I think its a litte bit to much space. 
blog_screen.jpg
blog_screen.jpg (125.84 KiB) Viewed 3207 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Oct 2022, 01:57

Dane wrote:Can you show me please, to reduce the distance above and below the content? I think its a litte bit to much space. 
It is necessary for me to ask, is this really necessary? The "space" below the menu above the text is "breathing space" so that the text is not so close to the MAIN MENU, which is entirely unrelated. You can perhaps reduce the margin BELOW the text by adding the text in your content like this:
Code
<div>Mein Blog verteilt sich aufgrund der Themenvielfalt auf die Kategorien "Fotografie" und "Astrofotografie"</div>
By using <div> you will avoid using <p>, which comes with margin below.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

16 Oct 2022, 10:28

Thank you Karl!

I understand your point of view, and there must surely be some Space in between. I think your solution is already sufficient. Maybe it just bothered me a bit that the space below the text was larger than the space above it. Now it is exactly in the middle. I like it very much like this!

While trying it out, I noticed another function, which I find very interesting. But I don't know exactly how I could use it. I wanted to consider whether I activate the drop down in the menu for the "Blog", so that when you move over it, these two categories are expanded. I didn't manage to do that easily though. For that I found this "lists" function under drop down. There the two categories are listed in two columns, and the topics are shown. 

I'm just thinking if this might be possible as a kind of overview. So that instead of the two photos of me to the categories, this listing is shown. With each category with the five newest topics. 

Or this view as I use it now, with the two photos, and each below the five newest topics as a list? 

I would also find it exciting if, for example, on the home page of the homepage, a column could be shown, in which the newest topics are listed in this style. 

What do you think? 
2022-10-16 16_18_45-Window.jpg
2022-10-16 16_18_45-Window.jpg (103.1 KiB) Viewed 3201 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Oct 2022, 00:00

Dane wrote:I wanted to consider whether I activate the drop down in the menu for the "Blog", so that when you move over it, these two categories are expanded. I didn't manage to do that easily though. For that I found this "lists" function under drop down. There the two categories are listed in two columns, and the topics are shown.
Yes it's possible, but it's not clear if you managed to do it or not. Currently, I don't see any dropdown menu list. If you want the dropdown menu, you would have to disable option "Hide child pages from menu", which you previously enabled.
Dane wrote:With each category with the five newest topics.
You can't limit the amount of topics in the menu. That could be achieved with CSS that simply hides all but the latest 5 items in each category.
Dane wrote:I would also find it exciting if, for example, on the home page of the homepage, a column could be shown, in which the newest topics are listed in this style.
You mean "home page of each category"? I don't know what you mean "home page of the homepage".

X3 does not have "sidebar". Besides, each category page will already list all posts, so I'm not sure I understand the point.