Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

Vertical folders layout behaviour

12 May 2022, 14:59

I am a little confused about something I just noticed: When you set up folders with vertical layout and <wide> width, they occupy the whole screen width. When you turn on split view the occupied width reduces to about the width of <default>.  Is it possible to have a full screen wide split view?
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Vertical folders layout behaviour

12 May 2022, 21:46

I had to hardcode some values for vertical "split" to pre-assign values that are basically necessary for the vertical split to look nice. I can't remember all the details, but for example you can forget about portrait images displaying entirely if using vertical split in wide mode. And text becomes too wide to read ... As you may know, text width should be limited at book-page width for optimal reading.

There may have been a few other things also. In conclusion, I hardcode a few settings so that the option becomes useful for most X3 users and to protects again usability issues. I really can't see any functional purpose of having the vertical-split layout set to wide.

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

13 May 2022, 06:32

I wanted to go for something roughly like this:
wide-split-view.jpg
Layout mockup
wide-split-view.jpg (153.52 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
I know to achieve that manually if need be, but it would have been quite comfortable to use the inbuilt functions.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 May 2022, 10:47

Got it. Do you have a preview of that page? It looks like some 8/4 column layout?

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

13 May 2022, 11:24

I am working on it here: https://www.danielbollinger.de/projekte ... otografie/

At the moment it's 10/2. The screenshot above was just quickly built in Photoshop, no precise ratio there.
Last edited by metallissimus on 16 May 2022, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 May 2022, 21:50

Nice. As noted, X3 automatically assigns a few options on vertical split. Another thing I see now, is that column-layouts like this generally use a parent row element, which are by default limited by width in the Foundation Grid. Personally I might suggest the layout looks easier on the eye when limited by width.

In any case, you could override with some CSS if required.

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

16 May 2022, 06:28

mjau-mjau wrote: Personally I might suggest the layout looks easier on the eye when limited by width.
I agree, thanks for your input. I made it a little wider than <default>, but full width really was too much.