Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

Different slideshow for start page according to landscape and portrait format

11 Apr 2022, 05:14

Is there a trick to display different photos for the slideshow on the home page (photos in the index folder)?
I would like to display only photos taken in portrait format on small mobile devices and only photos taken in landscape format on larger screens (landscape format).
Otherwise, the photos often look garbled or you have to find a selection of photos that are suitable for both views.
Could I create 2 folders from which the photos are displayed depending on the device?  In one folder I would put the portrait photos, in the other the landscape photos.
I have not found any suitable switches with which to achieve this. Are there other ways?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Different slideshow for start page according to landscape and portrait format

11 Apr 2022, 06:00

This is a dilemma for all "slideshow" type galleries that are supposed to "embed" directly on the page (regardless of device), and that's why I personally never use it to show photos (I use the popup for that, as it's optimal for image viewing). I would personally only use the slideshow "intro" plugin as an intro to give a concept of what the page is about, and make sure to use an image (or several) that conveys itself well when "cropped" by screen aspect. (like mjau-mjau.com).

I wish I could tell you there was a solution for this, but X3 can't just load different galleries depending on aspect ratio of device. Slideshow is really just a gallery of images (like any other gallery), and in this case it's just assigned as "intro" (attached to top). In a future release, I will probably consider a solution for this, but it would probably have to be a unique "intro" feature separate from the page's gallery.

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Different slideshow for start page according to landscape and portrait format

12 Apr 2022, 04:07

Thank you for your answer. This issue has been raised several times in the past and I realize that it is not easy.
There are some places in the system where you can turn off something for small mobile devices. And so I had the idea if this function could not be used to hide a folder depending on the device class or not. Unfortunately, apparently not possible.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Apr 2022, 06:22

pede wrote:There are some places in the system where you can turn off something for small mobile devices.
This is for Javascript related plugins, and how they apply for mobile devices. For example the audio player, which can be disabled for mobile devices, which is logical and applicable.

You are asking for loading two different folders depending on device. First of all, when a "page" in X3 gets generated and cached, the images/files are already loaded into the page and cache. Requesting separate images for different devices would require us to NEVER cache the page, and always load content dynamically from Javascript (instead of up front). Furthermore, we are now entering SEO-territory because you are basically loading two entirely different galleries based on device ... What images should Google use?

My point is, this is still a page gallery, although it's set to "intro" mode. If you wanted an intro to work differently on different screens, this should probably be a separate plugin, unrelated to the X3's page gallery. Even then, it's tedious if you want multiple different images in a slideshow for different screen aspects ... Have you seen anything like this on any other website? Just curious.