Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

christianch
Experienced
Topic Author

search robot indexation photo

04 Nov 2021, 09:08

Hi, I have had look without success for found a topic around photos's indexation inside a x3 gallery in the forum whose give me an clear answer.

So here my pb, for example here I see trough the console, no information  in the meta tags (name, description, key word, .... ) for each photos in the header ( Image description, Image Title). 

So the robots cannot index the photos. How can I proceed to solve this if it's possible? 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: search robot indexation photo

04 Nov 2021, 22:17

christianch wrote:So here my pb, for example here I see trough the console, no information  in the meta tags (name, description, key word, .... ) for each photos in the header ( Image description, Image Title).
They question is not clear. This image does not contain any title, description or keywords. You can check from here:
http://metapicz.com/#landing?imgsrc=htt ... ait_7b.jpg
christianch wrote:So the robots cannot index the photos. How can I proceed to solve this if it's possible?
Just because an image has "meta" data, doesn't mean Google search will index it, and if it doesn't have meta, Google can still index it. It depends on the rank and weight of the page(s) that contain the image.

christianch
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Nov 2021, 06:02

Naively, I thought that X3 gallery was taking the input elements from the gallery.
I understand now, than they are only taken just to illustrate the slide.

So if I understrand, I have to define this informations with lightroom or other app, It's that?
Just because an image has "meta" data, doesn't mean Google search will index it, and if it doesn't have meta, Google can still index it. It depends on the rank and weight of the page(s) that contain the image.
I know, hence my astonishment, .... but in this example, if I define the descriptions and keys words with lightroom, do you think the elements of meta descriptions and key words will be taken?

Thanks.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Nov 2021, 00:25

christianch wrote: Naively, I thought that X3 gallery was taking the input elements from the gallery.
I understand now, than they are only taken just to illustrate the slide.
Actually, X3 does save the data into the image's own IPTC meta data fields (as well as the page.json data file). However, it's not "foolproof" and there are reasons why this data might not get stored in the image ... If you have disabled Settings > Advanced > "Store image settings in image as IPTC" or if there are encoding problems with characters, X3 will block saving IPTC to preserve the image.

Having said that, I don't think this has a huge effect on what you are trying to achieve. There is some indication that IPTC fields might benefit SEO, but other factors are likely more crucial.
https://imageseo.io/does-exif-iptc-impact-images-seo/
https://support.photoshelter.com/hc/en- ... C-Metadata

First of all, your images have to get found. Then, to rank well, they need to be included on pages that represent the image and the image topic, preferably with complimentary surrounding text (because that is how Google ranks pages and images).

It's a topic that I can't really give to much information about, because there are too many factors that decide how your images rank ... Also, I must admit X3 has some shortcomings in regards to supporting images getting indexed. The problem is that images in X3 open in "popup" (for best viewing), but the popup doesn't make much sense to Google, as the image is not "embedded" on the page with complimentary text. There is a post by another user who struggled with images SEO, and actually invented a small solution with images added to sitemap:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10250
christianch wrote:I know, hence my astonishment, .... but in this example, if I define the descriptions and keys words with lightroom, do you think the elements of meta descriptions and key words will be taken?
If you add with Lightroom, the IPTC will definitely get stored in the image. However, I don't think this is your main concern.

christianch
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Nov 2021, 07:01

Good! it is much clearer.
My purpose was not to try to demonstrate that X3 does not allow referencing on google but to understand what is happening there and look for solutions. 
In the example I showed you, this is the use of the popup, which in this case is ignored. 
I am going to analyze the tracks that you offer me but in first intention I believe that LR (by batch) will be the most appropriate. 
On the other hand know that the referencing of my articles in X3 works perfectly. 
Thanks very much.

ps: Topic 
What I can offer now:

I can create a custom script that adds all your images to sitemap. This will likely bypass the need to disable the popup, which really is not productive I think
Can you tell us a little more. Because I must admit that for my part I undertake to build a site map in xml specially dedicated for all my photos. (4000 images ...) also your script interests me.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Nov 2021, 01:28

christianch wrote:Can you tell us a little more. Because I must admit that for my part I undertake to build a site map in xml specially dedicated for all my photos. (4000 images ...) also your script interests me.
I will look into it for next X3 release, which I will be starting in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if images in sitemap will be part of X3, or if it will need to be a plugin or external script.

Although there are many factors that decide how images rank in search, the first bottleneck is to make sure they get found. I would have assumed Google could find them on the pages, but since this might not be the case, images sitemap might be the option.

christianch
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Nov 2021, 09:13

Hi Karl for your informations.

I have indicated in parameters 'with Store image settings in image as IPTC" 
I named an image  "trois-pignons-exif-iptc-2.jpg",  for witch I gave info for - EXIF and IPTC with lightroom.

1- I have direct load this  image  in directory "a_documents"  
https://lepetitbleausard.fr/a_documents ... iptc-2.jpg

Results :
http://metapicz.com/#landing?imgsrc=htt ... iptc-2.jpg

The exif and iptc elements are presents

2- Loading the same image with x3 gallery 

https://lepetitbleausard.fr/Bleau/Bleau ... iptc-2.jpg

http://metapicz.com/#landing?imgsrc=htt ... iptc-2.jpg

Results The exif and iptc elements are erased ....

I deduce that I will therefore be required to create a sitemap dedicated to the images I want to see referenced on google.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Nov 2021, 09:27

I don't see any IPTC TITLE, sometimes referred to as objectName. Also, there is no "description", sometimes referred as "Caption-Abstract". You can see list of IPTC values here:
https://exiftool.org/TagNames/IPTC.html

X3 will display values title/objectName and description/caption. Your IPTC contains noen of these values. I see you have "headline" which is used by some apps, but it's not the main title.

Having said that, I think there is some misconception. When we talk about images IPTC and SEO, we are talking about search engines reading IPTC data from images, REGARDLESS of X3. In other words, as long as you have IPTC data in your images and we are talking about the concept of "improved SEO for images with IPTC", it doesn't really matter if X3 reads the data or not. That is the point of the two links I previously posted ... SEO from images that contain IPTC data, which Google will extract and read, regardless of X3.

And another thing you are over-looking, as mentioned before, adding IPTC (or not) to images, will not help Google "find" the images in the first place. It doesn't matter if the images contain IPTC or if X3 displays the IPTC (or not), if Google cannot find the images. If/when Google DOES find the images, then images IPTC might improve SEO, but this is unrelated to X3 displaying the data, although you would probably want that also.
christianch wrote:Results The exif and iptc elements are erased ....
There is nothing erased. It's just that there is no IPTC fields in your images that X3 reads and outputs on page. This does not affect images from having improved SEO once Google finds them, because Google will read the IPTC regardless of X3 displaying it or not. In fact, when X3 displays IPTC title and description, Google does not know this comes from the image IPTC.
christianch wrote:I deduce that I will therefore be required to create a sitemap dedicated to the images I want to see referenced on google.
Yes you might need an images sitemap, but not because X3 doesn't display your IPTC. Even if X3 displays your IPTC, this has nothing to do with your images getting indexed by Google or not. It's just optional on-page titles replacing the filename.

christianch
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Nov 2021, 13:30

I don't see any IPTC TITLE, sometimes referred to as objectName. Also, there is no "description", sometimes referred as "Caption-Abstract".
Thank you for the time spent responding to me, but I do not share the same analysis.

If I test my image here https://getpmd.iptc.org/interoptests-iptcpmd.html, which is the testing tool offered by https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/ , I correctly find the EXIF and IPTC info that I wanted to give with lightroom in my image:
1 - the title, 2 - description, 3 - the creator

See below this informations was found:
Code
Topic; Sortorder; IPTC Name L1; IPTC Name L2; IPTC Name L3; IPTC Name L4; IPTC Name L5; XMP Value; IIM Value; Sync Values; Comments
admin; tp270; Description Writer; ; ; ; ; found; found; in sync;
admin; tp710; Title; ; ; ; ; found; found; in sync;
gimgcont; tp260; Description; ; ; ; ; found; found; in sync;
So as I wrote, I will therefore take the solution of building a sitemap dedicated to the images. 

Thanks

ps: last point, can I change by ftp the images in x3 content to modify the exif and iptc? I don't change the page.json the name are the same.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Nov 2021, 14:11

christianch wrote:Thank you for the time spent responding to me, but I do not share the same analysis.

If I test my image here https://getpmd.iptc.org/interoptests-iptcpmd.html, which is the testing tool offered by https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/ , I correctly find the EXIF and IPTC info that I wanted to give with lightroom in my image:
1 - the title, 2 - description, 3 - the creator
That's fine, but I am not here to share opinions. In your last post, you mentioned that your IPTC was "correct", but in X3 it was "erased" (or not visible). I am telling you, that none of your popuplated IPTC fields are supported by X3. But if you are happy with the IPTC in your images, then that's fine of course.
christianch wrote:See below this informations was found:
Code
Topic; Sortorder; IPTC Name L1; IPTC Name L2; IPTC Name L3; IPTC Name L4; IPTC Name L5; XMP Value; IIM Value; Sync Values; Comments
admin; tp270; Description Writer; ; ; ; ; found; found; in sync;
admin; tp710; Title; ; ; ; ; found; found; in sync;
gimgcont; tp260; Description; ; ; ; ; found; found; in sync;
As for how exactly it renders the above, I don't know. As you can see, the same image does not contain any "title" or "description" at metapicz http://metapicz.com/#landing?imgsrc=htt ... iptc-2.jpg. You have a "headline", and it could be the tool above checks a few fields and simply names them "title", but "headline" is not by standard used as "title". Furthermore, I can't see any "description" ... what is the value of the description then? Anyway, I don't have any problem with this or how you populate IPTC in your image. I just stated that X3 supports the most standard values for title[objectNAME][005] and description[Caption-Abstract][120] ... It would be interesting to know what fields you have populated, but it's definitely not those. Anyway, doesn't matter I guess ...
christianch wrote:So as I wrote, I will therefore take the solution of building a sitemap dedicated to the images. 
As mentioned, having IPTC in your images won't help your images get indexed our found by Google. So yes, that is probably your option.
christianch wrote:ps: last point, can I change by ftp the images in x3 content to modify the exif and iptc? I don't change the page.json the name are the same.
Yes, but you may need to click "save" in X3 settings after updating your images, so that cache is refreshed. That is, if you have any IPTC data in your images that you are expecting X3 to actually display. Else it has no effect.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Aug 2023, 05:43

I know this is an old post, but I have an update coming in regards to Google Images Sitemap in X3, please read:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10650&p=49984