Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Joseph_balson
Experienced
Topic Author

Popup: caption autohide delay.

19 Jun 2021, 15:58

I can't seem to find how to change the caption autohide delay. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Popup: caption autohide delay.

20 Jun 2021, 02:57

The VALUE of autohide delay is not an option, mainly because I'm conserned about further bloating an already-bloated interface with options that almost nobody needs. Of course, you can DISABLE autohide, and there is also the interactive option for visitors to lock/unlock the caption, so there is rather good control.

Joseph_balson
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Jun 2021, 04:22

I just wanted it to hide faster: 3 seconds is too long.
That setting seems to be hidden deep in the (hard to read) JS, but I'd have to give up on CDN if I adjust that JS. 
Wish there was a parameter I could pass to the JS in the panel.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jun 2021, 05:39

That of course is very subjective, but Google photos (who probably does the most research on specific user behavior) has it to around 5 seconds. I would argue that 2 seconds or less is too short, as it will be toggling on/off rapid fire creating an annoying interface which has no benefit to the user. It's likely to assume a visitor either wants to read caption (which would certainly require more than 2 seconds), or have it removed, in which case there are interactive options: 1) Mouse hover over caption locks caption visible, and on touch devices one can toggle caption visibility with "touch", allowing you to keep the state you like 2) To keep captions hidden, one can of course navigate by clicking "next" button or by using keyboard ... If I then want captions visible again by moving mouse, it's natural to assume I would want them visible more than 2 seconds . On mobile/touch, caption visibility will always be toggled by touch anyway (no timeout) leaving full control to visitor.
Joseph_balson wrote:That setting seems to be hidden deep in the (hard to read) JS, but I'd have to give up on CDN if I adjust that JS. 
Yes of course, because if there is no option provided for this, then it's in non-public minified JS. Even if you don't use the CDN, it would be rather extreme to hack into the minified JS to change a subject timeout.
Joseph_balson wrote:Wish there was a parameter I could pass to the JS in the panel.
I could add it to next release, although I don't have a date for that yet. To be honest, I am thinking of adding some options like this as CSS vars (available to custom CSS), or maybe in some external config. I don't want to add options like this to the control panel, which is already bloated to the point where new users are over-whelmed by X3.

Joseph_balson
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Jun 2021, 08:15

mjau-mjau wrote: Even if you don't use the CDN, it would be rather extreme to hack into the minified JS to change a subject timeout.
I can be quite extreme just for the sake of it  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: