X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

trpgforum
Experienced
Topic Author

One of the galleries does not load so fast on mobile devices

18 May 2021, 11:45

Hello Karl

For a few days now, my gallery https://www.thomas-ruf.ch/fotogalerien/pilze has been loading far less quickly and smoothly than it used to. Granted, it's not exactly bad, but still annoying when you saw how fast it ran before. I don't notice the bumpy loading behavior with other galleries within https://www.thomas-ruf.ch/fotogalerien.

I only notice this problem on mobile devices. There are no problems on PCs. 

So I ask myself the following questions:
- Can it be that with the cache something got mixed up
- Is it possibly related to the number of images? 
- Are there settings in X3 or php that I could possibly change?

Best regards from Basel
Thomas
THOMAS RUF PHOTOGRAPHY
Landscape - Nature - Macro
4132 Muttenz
Switzerland
www.thomas-ruf.ch

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: One of the galleries does not load so fast on mobile devices

19 May 2021, 03:43

I must admit, I tried this on my iPhone 7 with 4G from Thailand, and can't see any problems. The images pretty much loaded and displayed as fast my internet connection standard. It didn't seem slow at all.

There is one thing that you might be experiencing: I noticed the originals for these images were relatively small, most between 800 - 1100 px? This means X3 will often load the original, because the size is already "optimal" for the layout vs screen. And it's more likely on mobile, because mobile screens have higher pixel density, and allow larger image dimensions per same area. Likely, your mobile is loading mostly original images into the layout. This is not a problem itself, but whereas your original images have file sizes from 150 - 300 kb, resized versions are normally well below 100 kb ... This means the mobile might be loading 3X the amount of data compared to desktop. If files are not cached in browser or on proxy, this could easily cause a noticeable difference. Personally, I don't see it.