Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

Ecommerce and SHopping cart

27 Mar 2021, 16:16

I have not used the forum for years and the last time I did was to inquire about the use of shopping cart plugins for ecomm. I had it set up pretty well many years back with Shopify but it was costly. Has anyone found something to sell prints of varying sizes and media that integrates well into X3? Karl, I know, has thought a lot about it and it seems no one solution works for everyone but maybe some has a working solution. Please share if you do. Thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Ecommerce and SHopping cart

27 Mar 2021, 23:57

Admittedly, any "e-commerce" plugin for X3 was placed on the shelf for time being, simply because it's such a daunting task. I remember you were using Fotomoto ... Not happy with that solution?

We do intend to create a "lightbox" plugin where visitors can select items into a "cart" and "send" to website owner. Extending that with configurable items, print-types, prices, connecting to multiple payment services, and offering automation after payment, I am not sure if that's within our scope.

TristanJo
Experienced

28 Mar 2021, 08:35

mjau-mjau wrote: Admittedly, any "e-commerce" plugin for X3 was placed on the shelf for time being, simply because it's such a daunting task. I remember you were using Fotomoto ... Not happy with that solution?

We do intend to create a "lightbox" plugin where visitors can select items into a "cart" and "send" to website owner. Extending that with configurable items, print-types, prices, connecting to multiple payment services, and offering automation after payment, I am not sure if that's within our scope.
I think it would be the best to make it compatible with Shopify.

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Mar 2021, 09:46

I never used fotomoto but I did (with help from Karl) configure X3 to work very well with Shopify. Basically, we created links from every image for sale to the Shopify page, the key being, the image on shopify had to have the exact same image name for it to work. You can go back and look at my posts to see exactly what we did. I don't like shopify for many reasons so there are not getting my $$$. I go through phases of trying to make this work and never seem to have the time but now that art shows in the US are pretty much non-existent, I need to sell online if I want to sell at all. I will take another look at Fotomoto.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Mar 2021, 01:14

I don't have personal experience with Shopify myself, but it seemed to be the most updated and flexible platform. They are quite expensive it seems, but it shows the work and effort that goes behind an extensive e-commerce solution. I believe they have some "API" that X3 could plug into, but I would only commit to that if a larger volume of X3 users would be using (and paying for) Shopify.

Fotomoto, most importantly it simply works. However, they do the printing/framing for you, there is no real option for self-fulfillment, and they take 15% commission (last time I checked).

As for creating a native X3 solution, I would consider it as long the scope of options is limited. There is no way we can match a flexible e-commerce solution like Shopify in terms of configuring items/prints/prices, payment platforms and fulfillment options. You are welcome to tell me exactly what you are looking for ...

swamphox
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Apr 2021, 14:06

With the advances in printing tech that allows printing on just about any surface, the product options are unlimited and therefore making a solution that fits well for most people nearly impossible.