X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

tbp
Experienced
Topic Author

Maximize X3 content to screen height

27 Feb 2021, 12:23

Hi Karl,

Another short question: Is there a way to maximize a page height so that the whole screen is used for the content and the footer is not visible until I scroll down? Let's say my page contains 80% content which will lead to the situation that only a fraction of the footer is visible without scrolling. I would like to "stretch" the page content to 100% of the screen height so that the footer only becomes visible if I scroll down.

Is this possible? 
If so, can I include a "scroll down" button at the bottom of the page which is always visible so that I have access to the footer by clicking this button?

Thanks,
Tom

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Maximize X3 content to screen height

27 Feb 2021, 23:26

Are you sure you are thinking to the benefit of all visitors without making things complicated?

X3 already shows the footer always at the bottom. If the page content extends screen height, there will obviously be scroll. If the page content does NOT extend screen height, then the footer will be visible. In your case, you want to set the content height to always consume 100% of screen, so that there is always scroll, even if it's not required and half the content is empty? Doesn't seem logical.
tbp wrote:Another short question: Is there a way to maximize a page height so that the whole screen is used for the content and the footer is not visible until I scroll down? Let's say my page contains 80% content which will lead to the situation that only a fraction of the footer is visible without scrolling. I would like to "stretch" the page content to 100% of the screen height so that the footer only becomes visible if I scroll down.
It's possible to force the height of content to 100vh (100 viewport height). This would look strange of course, as it would force a scrollbar and scroll mechanism even for pages that don't require scroll. In this case, it will create a large empty space below the content, just to force the visitor to scroll ... How do they even know they should scroll?
tbp wrote:If so, can I include a "scroll down" button at the bottom of the page which is always visible so that I have access to the footer by clicking this button?
So, instead of displaying the footer directly even without scroll, the visitor needs to click a button to access the footer? Why would they want that and what's interesting for them in the footer?

I could provide some codes on request, but I can't provide any additional workarounds for this somewhat strange UI behavior which doesn't seem to benefit anyone.

tbp
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Feb 2021, 05:46

Thanks, Karl. My intention is to show the footer either completely (if there is enough space available) or after scrolling down but not a fragment of the footer. Currently a page of my site only shows the first line of the footer on my desktop, so I have to scroll down to see the complete footer. I don't like this "fragmented" footer, that's why I am asking you.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Feb 2021, 12:21

tbp wrote:My intention is to show the footer either completely (if there is enough space available)
That is already how it works if there is enough space.
As soon as there is more page content (text), depending on the screen size, it will eventually move the footer below scroll visibility.
tbp wrote:or after scrolling down but not a fragment of the footer.
Well, this is how all websites work. Depending on your screen VS the amount of content, the footer will either be 1) entirely hidden or 2) entirely visible or 3) partially visibile. It seems your intention is to prevent the footer from becoming partially visible? If it's partially visible, it means there is not room (including all margins) to display the footer, because the content consumes more space.
tbp wrote:Currently a page of my site only shows the first line of the footer on my desktop, so I have to scroll down to see the complete footer. I don't like this "fragmented" footer, that's why I am asking you.
This is normal on ALL websites, and it's not logical to expect anything else. Besides, this is probably on your screen and only for a certain page? Even if there was a solution, we certainly can't make the footer visible if it's partially obscured by the content height ... It's obscured because the content height REQUIRES that much space. Theoretically you could push it even further down if it's partially visible, but this is a pretty unproductive solution.