X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Description in popup

27 Dec 2020, 13:31

Hello, 

is it possible to customize the length of the description? With some of my longer descriptions it is automatically shortened. I would also like to add longer descriptions to the images in the future sporadically. It would be great if you could determine the number of characters before the shortening. 

If you select the box in the popup and position it on the left, the lock is also on the left at the very edge. Maybe the lock would be better visible on the right side of the box. Just as an idea. 
2020-12-27 19_26_42-Window.jpg
2020-12-27 19_26_42-Window.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 2344 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Description in popup

28 Dec 2020, 00:10

Dane wrote:is it possible to customize the length of the description? With some of my longer descriptions it is automatically shortened. I would also like to add longer descriptions to the images in the future sporadically. It would be great if you could determine the number of characters before the shortening.
Actually, it already shortens the caption depending on amount of LINES (not characters), and the amount is determinded by the size (height) of the screen. If we don't limit the caption, it will not look nice on smaller screens (or even big screens if the caption is long), because the caption will overlay large parts of the image and sometimes even block interface elements.

I can offer a custom CSS solution to disable the "line-clamping", although you will then need to be responsible that your captions are not too long for medium/small screens. Go to Settings > Custom > Custom CSS:
Code
.popup-caption-description {
  display: block !important;
}
Dane wrote:If you select the box in the popup and position it on the left, the lock is also on the left at the very edge. Maybe the lock would be better visible on the right side of the box. Just as an idea. 
I tried many options, but we kinda have to align the icon with the caption text alignment for consistency. If it's placed on the right in this case, it means the position of the icon will change when navigating slides depending on the caption length, which is quite annoying. Also, the icon would basically have "no specific position" on screen, and although it could work with your selected "box" style caption, it wouldn't work with the other caption styles.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Description in popup

28 Dec 2020, 02:24

Hi Karl,

thank you for the CSS code, it works for me. I want to test it how it looks in small screens. 

Thanks also for the explanation.