Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

Image link vs. slideshow

21 Dec 2020, 07:59

I'm still exploring the many possibilities that X3 offers. In the process, I have encountered a behavior that is unfavorable for my purposes:
I can set an image link and clicking the image will than open the link instead of the image. Unfortunately, when I browse the gallery in fullscreen mode, this photo is then skipped and simply not displayed.
Is there a way to get both?
For example when clicking on the image preview the link opens and in slide mode it still shows all the photos in the gallery?
Or is there a specific button for such photos where the visitor can specifically open the stored link?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Image link vs. slideshow

22 Dec 2020, 00:26

Normally, it would be logical to conclude that the image is not supposed to display for the visitor. After all, when they click the image, they will be redirected to a different link. Basically you want the image to be included in the popup slideshow, even if it is assigned as a link?

It can probably be designed to support this behavior, but I would be interested to see the logical approach for this from the visitors perspective. You are mixing content (links and images) in the same gallery layout, yet you want the link's image to be included in the popup slideshow. So if the visitor sees that image in the popup, then closes the popup and wants to view that image again, they can't because it's a link.

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

23 Dec 2020, 11:31

Hello Karl!

Maybe I didn't understand certain X3 terms or the function of the link under the photo correctly.
I first tried the function in question just by playing around. Only now I looked at the examples on https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/fea ... age-links/. There the photo is always linked to a web page. Of course, that doesn't quite fit the use case I described earlier.

I would like to give the visitor the option to view more information about certain photos, if available. This could be an explanatory text, a link to another photo or a gallery or even a link to an external website.
Therefore, it would be good if a link is set for a photo, then a corresponding note will also be visible for the visitor, which he can then click on if necessary.
And it should be possible to start this link from the preview in the gallery view as well as from the full screen view.

Surely this idea is not well thought out yet, maybe it can be used as a suggestion for the future?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Dec 2020, 23:20

pede wrote:I would like to give the visitor the option to view more information about certain photos, if available. This could be an explanatory text, a link to another photo or a gallery or even a link to an external website.
Therefore, it would be good if a link is set for a photo, then a corresponding note will also be visible for the visitor, which he can then click on if necessary.
And it should be possible to start this link from the preview in the gallery view as well as from the full screen view.

Surely this idea is not well thought out yet, maybe it can be used as a suggestion for the future?
Yes this is a normal scenario, but why not use the image CAPTION (title and/or description) for that? That is exactly what it's for, and will display alongside the image in the gallery layout (if selected in settings) AND the popup when zooming the image.

Below is an example of long image captions. You can see the captions are in both the page gallery layout, as well as in the popup after an image is clicked. Captions can contain text and external links:
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/features/captions/

You don't need to use the page layout above to display image captions, but the one above is perhaps good if the captions are long. There are many ways to display captions in the gallery layout, f.ex here they display on mouse hover.

To access image captions, click the gallery tab and then the "view" button until you are in edit mode.

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Dec 2020, 05:58

Karl,
I have not noticed such a possibility at this location so far and so I am even more pleased that it exists!
Thank you, for your reference to it!

sound_and_light
Experienced

16 Jan 2021, 15:13

I don't see that edit button.  I'm trying to edit/add some captions and see now way to edit them.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Jan 2021, 00:10

sound_and_light wrote: I don't see that edit button.  I'm trying to edit/add some captions and see now way to edit them.
Yes that button. Click it until you are in edit mode! The icon changes as the modes change.

sound_and_light
Experienced

17 Jan 2021, 13:22

Karl, Thanks.  I see now.  When I enter an image title (e.g., Southeast Corner of 72nd & Bway: 1940) I'm getting:
Error: No Request Parameters?  Do I need these?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Jan 2021, 01:16

sound_and_light wrote:When I enter an image title (e.g., Southeast Corner of 72nd & Bway: 1940) I'm getting: Error: No Request Parameters?  Do I need these?
You mean you get an error when saving title, and only the specific title "Southeast Corner of 72nd & Bway: 1940"? What happens if you replace the & character so that you have "Southeast Corner of 72nd and Bway: 1940"?

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

19 Jan 2021, 05:41

BTW: Not a bad thing: It would be more elegant if you could also use the mouse in the description field in edit mode to position the cursor.
Last edited by pede on 19 Jan 2021, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Jan 2021, 07:45

pede wrote:Not a bad thing: It would be more elegant if you could also use the mouse in the description field in edit mode to position the cursor.
I can't replicate this. What browser? Try a different browser? Some browser plugin?

It's a normal <textarea> input field.

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

19 Jan 2021, 08:10

Interesting, it works with Edge 87.0664.75
With Firefox 84.0.2 unfortunately not. All add-ons and plugins are disabled.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jan 2021, 03:19

pede wrote:With Firefox 84.0.2 unfortunately not. All add-ons and plugins are disabled.
Works in Firefox 84.0.2 on Mac. I'll try Windows later ... Strange issue!

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Jan 2021, 13:36

I tested it on another PC, also with Firefox 84.0.2, and it works. Apparently the problem only exists on my own computer...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jan 2021, 23:44

pede wrote:I tested it on another PC, also with Firefox 84.0.2, and it works. Apparently the problem only exists on my own computer...
I actually have another user who experienced the same issue, but it does seem related to browser/OS and some other unknown factor.