X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Videos integrated by Video Intro Plugin

15 Dec 2020, 02:05

Hi!

I would like to integrate some videos into my site. Preferably in a gallery in which I can show photos but also videos. I then worked a bit with the "Video Intro" plugin: http://dane-vetter.de/Galerie/Astrofotografie/Der-Mond-im-Vorbeiflug/

Is it possible to remove the header with the menu and instead integrate a back button to get back to the previous page like the gallery? 

I know that you can also integrate videos via Youtube, but I would like to be independent. 

Thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Videos integrated by Video Intro Plugin

15 Dec 2020, 03:56

Dane wrote:Is it possible to remove the header with the menu and instead integrate a back button to get back to the previous page like the gallery? 
Sorry, but this is a bit unrealistic. The point of the video-intro is simply to have the video as an intro for a page (top of screen, behind menu).

Seems you want a function similiar to galleries, where you "click" to view a video at full browser size, and then you can "close" the video at any time? You can actually use the included "popup" mechanism for that, but then you must include a link (text or image) somewhere that can be clicked to open the video.
Dane wrote:I would like to integrate some videos into my site. Preferably in a gallery in which I can show photos but also videos.
For your info, you can upload videos into any page (just like images), but the videos will display separately, embedded into the page. This is because X3 does not (and cannot) create video-thumbnails, and must therefore "embed" the video directly on page, in which case the videos are sorted separately from the images uploaded into the same page.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Dec 2020, 04:12

Seems you want a function similiar to galleries, where you "click" to view a video at full browser size, and then you can "close" the video at any time?
Yes, that would be cool for some videos in this large size. 
For your info, you can upload videos into any page (just like images), but the videos will display separately, embedded into the page. 
I tried to upload a video to a gallery but got an error message. That's why I thought that it is not possible to do it easily. But maybe larger videos should be uploaded to the directory via FTP? 
That would be great if you could just mix videos in with the photos. If I have to create the thumbnail myself, I see no problem. 
You can actually use the included "popup" mechanism for that, but then you must include a link (text or image) somewhere that can be clicked to open the video.
View videos by popup is also ok. But how can i do this? I upload the video by FTP in the folder, and then i have to do what?
Thank you!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Dec 2020, 04:33

Dane wrote:I tried to upload a video to a gallery but got an error message. That's why I thought that it is not possible to do it easily. But maybe larger videos should be uploaded to the directory via FTP?
What size are the videos? The problem is that most website hosting services have upload-size limitations. I can see on your website, the upload limit is 32MB.
dane-vetter.de/?diagnostics

Yes, you can upload videos directly by FTP, and then you will be able to view them from the panel after upload.
Dane wrote:That would be great if you could just mix videos in with the photos. If I have to create the thumbnail myself, I see no problem.
This might be possible in a future release, but for now, it can only be required with some manual work on your side:
  • Upload an image that represents each video.
  • Upload the videos of course, and click "hide" to hide the videos from directly displaying on page.
  • For the uploaded images that represent the videos, you will add links so that the images point to a video file instead of the large image version.
I will explain more if this is the solution you are looking for.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Dec 2020, 13:38

The videos are larger than 32mb, so upload it by FTP - no problem. 

Maybe you can help me with the link. So i uploadet the video by FTP, und uploadet a screenshot of the Video in the galery. I hide thee video and set a link into the uploadet screenshot. But it doesent found the video, but the link should be correct.
2020-12-15 19_35_46-Window.png
2020-12-15 19_35_46-Window.png (547.92 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
2020-12-15 19_35_30-Window.png
2020-12-15 19_35_30-Window.png (58.46 KiB) Viewed 2619 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Dec 2020, 00:05

Ok, so you need to add the path like this:
Code
{path}Der_Mond_im_Vorbeiflug.mp4
The {path} variable will automatically resolve to the physical folder path of the current folder. The reason you can't use just "Der_Mond_im_Vorbeiflug.mp4" is because it would then try to load the file relative to the path in URL, but that is not the actual path of the folder (which also starts with /content/).

Also, you might want to try "X3 popup" instead of "Popup window", as it is more elegant.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

16 Dec 2020, 02:15

Hi Karl. Thanks you, it works now!

Is it possible to make the size dynamically a bit bigger, so that the video always fills fpr example 90% of the screen automatically at the viewer depending on his resolution? And is its possible to show the description under the video?

Oh, and another point: Is its possible to deaktivtae the download menu?
Attachments
2020-12-16 09_22_19-Astrofotografie.jpg
2020-12-16 09_22_19-Astrofotografie.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
2020-12-16 08_12_33-Astrofotografie.jpg
2020-12-16 08_12_33-Astrofotografie.jpg (82.59 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Dec 2020, 03:43

Dane wrote:Is it possible to make the size dynamically a bit bigger, so that the video always fills fpr example 90% of the screen automatically at the viewer depending on his resolution?
Keep in mind, the video will already scale UP to it's natural resolution per default. If you scale the video further up, you are effectively asking the video to look blurry/pixelated. Also, why not just allow the user to click the video "fullscreen" button if they want to see it "maximized"? That is how it works on Youtube and most video services.

The video already consumes most of the screen on my 13" macbook:

It could be achieved with custom CSS, but I wouldn't recommend it ...
Dane wrote:And is its possible to show the description under the video?
Sorry, but captions don't appear on videos (essentially because you are linking to another file). Also, the video controls are below the video, so what happens when caption goes over the controls (which they will on most screen sizes)? It means user cannot access the video controls. This concept becomes too difficult unfortunately.
Dane wrote:Oh, and another point: Is its possible to deaktivtae the download menu?
In next X3 release, videos in the popup will automatically inherit "block downloads" setting. Please wait until then?

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

16 Dec 2020, 06:53

I understand, and I think it's fine if you give users the choice to enlarge the video. 
Also, the video controls are below the video, so what happens when caption goes over the controls
I had the idea that the description is below the video player, so below the control.

Maybe in that case I should add a short description at the beginning of the video if it is necessary. 

Another question about the Video Intro Plugin. I created a new folder, and named it as index and use there the Video Intro Plugin, but deactivated the menu button. So thos folder would be loadet bei only by entry the page, but the video dosent start. Is there a special setting needed becaus its the startpage?  And when i scroll down the black surfce with no video, under this surface is a video player whre i can start the video. Is this normal?

EDIT: I found a solution how it works.When the setting "muted" is activated, the video runs, whenits deaktivated, it doesnt run. But why is this?

Thank you!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Dec 2020, 10:31

Dane wrote:I had the idea that the description is below the video player, so below the control.

Maybe in that case I should add a short description at the beginning of the video if it is necessary. 
As this point, the popup is mainly designed and created for images. The popup will load and display videos, but it would take some planning to integrate a proper video design. For example, how would the caption appear on mobile devices (small screens)? It's very difficult to be sure that the caption does not overlay the video/controls. One would have to measure the height of the text rendered on screen, because X3 does not know the amount of data you have in captions. The concept would work fine on very large screens, but from 13" and down, it gets more complicated. For now, videos in the popup will not display with captions ... maybe in the future.
Dane wrote:Another question about the Video Intro Plugin. I created a new folder, and named it as index and use there the Video Intro Plugin, but deactivated the menu button. So thos folder would be loadet bei only by entry the page, but the video dosent start. Is there a special setting needed becaus its the startpage?  And when i scroll down the black surfce with no video, under this surface is a video player whre i can start the video. Is this normal?

EDIT: I found a solution how it works.When the setting "muted" is activated, the video runs, whenits deaktivated, it doesnt run. But why is this?
Modern browsers will block AUDIO from auto-playing, because it's considered "invasive". Therefore, only videos without audio or with audio muted will autoplay. There are some exceptions, for example if the visitor has already interacted with the video/audio on the same page or domain. Read more:
https://developers.google.com/web/updat ... cy-changes

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

16 Dec 2020, 11:43

Thank you! Videos are also not so much important for me. I have only a few videos which I would like to integrate. Therefore, this is not tragic. 

Thanks also for the hint that the Brwoser blocks music, I was not aware. 

Thank you for your help!

DesignPictures

29 May 2022, 14:18

Hello together,

is it possible to deactivate the autostart of a embeded mp4 video?
I searched for this but i don´t found a entry about that

Thanks for your help

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 May 2022, 14:46

DesignPictures wrote:is it possible to deactivate the autostart of a embeded mp4 video?
Can you explain where you have this embedded mp4 video? Perhaps you have a link? X3 does not autostart embedded mp4 videos.