X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Deleted menü

08 Dec 2020, 11:38

Hi!

I wanted to delete a test page, and it somehow deleted the underlying page, the gallery. Can I restore this or are all my photos from the gallery gone now? I want to delte "Die-neusten-Fotos", but it deleted "Galerie", a separately  page with all my pictures.
2020-12-08 17_35_23-Window.png
2020-12-08 17_35_23-Window.png (34.67 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
And a second question.

I want to set "Die-neusten-Fotos" as my startpage instead of index. But i didnt find a setting so set another page as startpage. so i deleted indes, but i think i have now another problem. It didnt find a startpage wenn ich go to my page.... I think I have some bad luck. EDIT: I think i fixed it. I renamed the new page to "index". :-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Deleted menü

09 Dec 2020, 00:28

Dane wrote:I wanted to delete a test page, and it somehow deleted the underlying page, the gallery. Can I restore this or are all my photos from the gallery gone now? I want to delte "Die-neusten-Fotos", but it deleted "Galerie", a separately  page with all my pictures.
X3 is folder-based, and will simply delete photos and restore the space on your server. There is no "trashcan". If you witnessed a bug where wrong folder was deleted, we would need to diagnose that separately. Can you reproduce it after re-creating the same directories?
Dane wrote:I want to set "Die-neusten-Fotos" as my startpage instead of index. But i didnt find a setting so set another page as startpage. so i deleted indes, but i think i have now another problem. It didnt find a startpage wenn ich go to my page.... I think I have some bad luck. EDIT: I think i fixed it. I renamed the new page to "index". :-)
Correct! The start page should always be named "index". If you want to replace it, just delete or rename the old home page, and rename your new home page to "index". Index pages don't have any url or /path/, so that's why it specifically called "index".

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Dec 2020, 11:54

Thank you and good to know that with the delete from the menu item on the left side all subordinate items and photos in galleries are gone. 

i'm not 100% sure, but i would be convinced that i selected a different menu to delete than the one that was deleted. Maybe I was just careless. The menu is very small, and maybe I clicked a few pixels below and got the bottom menu. 

In any case, I'm more careful now that I know how fast you can delete a lot of data. Many photos have been lost, but fortunately I have not yet done the work and given them descriptions. :-)

after this incident: Is there actually a kind of backup function to restore a certain state? If I ever need to make a major restructuring or change, this might be helpful. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Dec 2020, 23:30

Dane wrote:after this incident: Is there actually a kind of backup function to restore a certain state? If I ever need to make a major restructuring or change, this might be helpful.
Since X3 is strictly folder-based, whatever gets deleted, simply gets deleted. I see the benefit of what you ask of course, but it's not really feasible to implement into a self-hosted folder-based gallery.

metallissimus
Experienced

10 Dec 2020, 05:04

mjau-mjau wrote: Since X3 is strictly folder-based, whatever gets deleted, simply gets deleted.
So conversely I only need to manually backup my folders and can restore any old structure by simply replacing the new one, if anything went wrong?
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Dec 2020, 06:22

metallissimus wrote:So conversely I only need to manually backup my folders and can restore any old structure by simply replacing the new one, if anything went wrong?
Correct. You can backup the /content/ dir at any time, which represents your galleries and page structure. Or you could just backup a subfolder inside /content/. Likewise, you can also backup the /config/ dir, which contains all your settings at the point of time when the backup is made.

You could even setup an automated task for this (cron or PHP). Technically, it could be introduced into the panel, but I don't think we can automatically create multiple "state" backups of the content dir, which could easily drain storage capacity on disk. There could perhaps be an option "make backup", although it may be slow and greedy for storage space and server resources.