Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

franks
Topic Author

Flexible backend width / Loading time of folders

29 Sep 2020, 04:50

Hi,
I have a practical problem with the backend, not just now, also in past versions.
I would like to give X3 another try, with listings of hundreds/thousands of mods from different games.
The problem is to get a much better overview, what folders already exist, because many have the same (very long) name.
The difference is often just the version number inside the folder/file names.

I think, the solution could be the option to switch to full width backend and a resizing of the list/folder view on the left side (pls view the pic).
Is this planed to come up soon? Would be very very appreciated.

Another "problem" I experienced in the past was, that the backend became very very very slow when there are several hundreds/thousands of folders.
Is there something I did wrong, or will there be a solution in future?

Thank you  :-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Flexible backend width / Loading time of folders

29 Sep 2020, 05:12

I think what you are asking for, is basically what we have for our new Files app. See the demo:
https://demo.files.gallery/?balloons

It's much faster, allows you to use full browser width, and menu can be collapsed. Additionally, there are "filter", "sort" and "layout" mechanisms that allow you to optimize the view in real-time. Files app will be used as foundation for the planned X3 panel 2.0, which then will deliver what you require I guess. Until then however, there won't be any modifications to the current, somewhat outdated X3 panel.
franks wrote:Another "problem" I experienced in the past was, that the backend became very very very slow when there are several hundreds/thousands of folders.
Is there something I did wrong, or will there be a solution in future?
I don't know when you tried X3 panel last, but it has definitely become faster through various updates. With X3 panel 2.0, it will be much faster, although there will always be a delays proportional to the amount of folders and speed of server. Files app uses will use cache though, so it will only reload menu when you make changes. Also, a way to circumvent slow loading folder-menu, would be to set a maximum "depth" for the menu (for example 1-3 levels). This way, the menu won't load the entire structure, but you can still navigate to deep folders directly from the main layout.

franks
Topic Author

29 Sep 2020, 05:53

Thank you very much for your fast reply. :blush:
The file app is looking great. :thumbsup:
Is there a publishing date of the new X3 panel 2.0?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Sep 2020, 06:01

franks wrote:Is there a publishing date of the new X3 panel 2.0?
Not yet. I might say first quarter 2021, but I am also considering a major X3 upgrade (X4?), in which case it might take longer.