Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

johnsteed
Topic Author

Features suggestions

11 Sep 2020, 18:37

Hello,

May I suggest you a few features for X3 photo gallery ?

- A real time filtering tags system with grid display. You could have a look here to have an idea of what I mean. Or this skin selection or this. Basically you clic on the tags and the gallery immediately updates. The "real time" feature is a bit exagerated but if it's quick enough it's good. 

- With Photo Gallery we can have classic galleries and hidden galleries that need password. But sometimes, I would like to show hidden galleries are avalaible if you request a subscribe for a password. So I would like to display thumbnails of galleries (like on the screenshot of your demo galleries) or even the thumbnails of the photos inside the galleries but without possibility to display the full size photos. With a display of a lock icon when your mouse is on the photo. Does this already possible ?
Capture d’écran 2020-09-12 à 00.31.14.jpg
Capture d’écran 2020-09-12 à 00.31.14.jpg (278.09 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Thank you.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Features suggestions

12 Sep 2020, 00:40

johnsteed wrote:- A real time filtering tags system with grid display. You could have a look here to have an idea of what I mean. Or this skin selection or this. Basically you clic on the tags and the gallery immediately updates. The "real time" feature is a bit exagerated but if it's quick enough it's good.
Indeed. Already had this in our list for a while, and it's already implemented into our Files app (see demo) alongside live sorting ... Actually, there are no "tags" in this demo, because items don't have tags, but the filter-search basically works the same way. It could be this will have to wait until X4 (which won't be too different from X3 visually, and won't be a paid upgrade), which is coming up on the radar.

Just to comment on your links: The first link is really just separate galleries available from a menu that looks like "tags". Clicking them will cause a "load" from server, and it's not actually "filtering" items ... Something like this could be achieved with an optional "layout" from the "folders" module of a page with galleries. The second link is definitely live filtering, although style and transitions might not work well with many items, and really one should be able to filter be toggling multiple tags on/off. Third link is really just three separate gallery links where the menu buttons look like tags.
johnsteed wrote:- With Photo Gallery we can have classic galleries and hidden galleries that need password. But sometimes, I would like to show hidden galleries are available if you request a subscribe for a password. So I would like to display thumbnails of galleries (like on the screenshot of your demo galleries) or even the thumbnails of the photos inside the galleries but without possibility to display the full size photos. With a display of a lock icon when your mouse is on the photo. Does this already possible ?
You mean you want some items to become available/visible in the menu AFTER a user has logged in?

Yes, this could be interesting of course. This is not currently an option, because the X3 user system basically does one thing and one thing only: Allows access to a page (or not). It does not have any effect on the menu or visibility of pages. So for something like this, we may need to plan the user system from scratch with a variety of options, and likely this would be part of X4.

Thanks!

johnsteed
Topic Author

12 Sep 2020, 18:58

You mean you want some items to become available/visible in the menu AFTER a user has logged in?
Not exactly. I think what I mean has to see with the rights (read, write, execute) of the visitors / full size photos of visitor / thumbnails photos and visitor / directory, logged or not. I try to precise a bit.

- You come on the site as simple visitor, not logged. You understand the site has 3 galleries because you can see 3 different thumbnails. One thumbnail per each gallery. But you can clic and explore only the first one to get the full size photos inside. You can clic and explore the second gallery but the photos inside this gallery are only in thumnails mode. You can't see the full size photos. But in this second gallery you have an idea of the content, because you have a look on these thumbnails, how numerous they are, the style of temperature color, etc.... Then, for the third gallery, you simply can't go inside. The clic is locked. You only know there is a third gallery, it exists. But you can't have a look inside to get more details.

This could be like this no matter the visitor is logged or not. This is dependant. The admin has to choose who has the right to see what and when, for simple visitor or logged registered visitors.

Sorry, I'm not english fluent, I hope I'm clear enough.

Best regards.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Sep 2020, 22:46

I'm open to suggestions in regards to future changes of the user- and password system in X3.
johnsteed wrote:You come on the site as simple visitor, not logged. You understand the site has 3 galleries because you can see 3 different thumbnails.
But do you mean there would be some "login" button available in the menu, where a user can login globally, which would give them various types of access across the website? If not, how else would someone know that they have been restricted and how would they login?
johnsteed wrote:You can clic and explore the second gallery but the photos inside this gallery are only in thumnails mode.
So the user would try to click the thumbnail images with nothing happening? That would be very confusing for most users. How would they know they can and need to login to be able to click images?
johnsteed wrote:Then, for the third gallery, you simply can't go inside. The clic is locked. You only know there is a third gallery, it exists. But you can't have a look inside to get more details.
This is pretty much how it works today. Would clicking this item in the menu cause a login prompt? If not, how would a user know they need to login?

johnsteed
Topic Author

13 Sep 2020, 19:18

But do you mean there would be some "login" button available in the menu
Of course, yes. And the level of rights given to the attribuated role of the visitor by the admin will determine what he can see.
So the user would try to click the thumbnail images with nothing happening? That would be very confusing for most users. How would they know they can and need to login to be able to click images?
I don't think so. When he clics the thumbnail, a "locked icon" show he must be a member with more rights. The gallery works as a teaser in a way.
This is pretty much how it works today. Would clicking this item in the menu cause a login prompt? If not, how would a user know they need to login?
Yes, exactly. The second gallery is a middle way of behavior between the galleries 1 and 3 that already exist. The new feature is the gallery 2.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Sep 2020, 23:57

Ok, appreciate the feedback! I will save this post for later when users/login may be up for a refresh.