Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

Captions - popup

12 Aug 2020, 08:14

I have set up a gallery where the images are cklickable andI have activated the optione "Open in popup" together with the caption Item "Description".
If you click on a photo, it will be displayed in large size including the caption.However, the description of the picture is hidden after a short time. Only when you move the mouse, the caption appears again.

2 questions:
- Is it possible to change the time span of the caption or display the description permanently?
- Is it possible to start a slide show with that 'subtitles' in this mode ?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Captions - popup

12 Aug 2020, 11:24

pede wrote:If you click on a photo, it will be displayed in large size including the caption.However, the description of the picture is hidden after a short time. Only when you move the mouse, the caption appears again.
This is how it's supposed to work. Visitors may want to view the image without having distracting captions always overlaying images. The captions are visible as soon as user moves the mouse, so normally a visitor would just move mouse slightly if they want to read the caption. Furthermore, visitor can move mouse OVER the caption, causing the caption to remain locked on screen without disappearing ... You would think that should be sufficient for a user to control caption visibility. If you really need to "lock" captions to always be visible, you can disable Settings > Popup > Popup Caption > Autohide caption.

Also, just FYI, on touch/mobile devices, the caption will be visible/hidden on tap, so the user can decide if they want to have captions visible or hidden while they navigate/swipe.
pede wrote:Is it possible to change the time span of the caption or display the description permanently?
Unfortunately no. It's set to 3 seconds, which should be sufficient time for the visitor to either hover the caption to lock it, or allow it to disappear giving optimal view of the image.
pede wrote:Is it possible to start a slide show with that 'subtitles' in this mode ?
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean "'subtitles' in this mode". In next X3 release, we will be including a "play" button, which will allow the popup to autoplay through slides at a set interval.

pede
Experienced
Topic Author

13 Aug 2020, 02:08

Visitors may want to view the image without having distracting captions always overlaying images.
In general I also agree and use it in this way.
If you really need to "lock" captions to always be visible, you can disable Settings > Popup > Popup Caption > Autohide caption.
This is basically what I want - but not as a general setting, but only for an individual gallery.
It would require moving this setting to the popup setting for each individual gallery - which is probably a greater effort.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Aug 2020, 02:27

pede wrote:This is basically what I want - but not as a general setting, but only for an individual gallery.
It would require moving this setting to the popup setting for each individual gallery - which is probably a greater effort.
I can perhaps add this for next X3 release in around 1 month time :thumbsup:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

04 Jan 2021, 05:42

These requests have been resolved in X3.30.0 / forum
photo.gallery/blog/photo-gallery-x3-30-popup/
  • Added the option to disable "autohide captions" on a per-page basis.
  • Added new lock-caption button, so the visitor can lock caption visible.