Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

zeroday
Topic Author

Orientation in gallery - new Files function

07 Aug 2022, 03:10

I see that the new Files function has the ability to change the orientation of the image automatically
This is a feature I wanted for soooo long, but I need to have it in the Gallery

Is this on the roadmap? Already existing? 

As I put all my images on a NAS where there is no upload needed for X3, the gallery does not change the orientation when accessing the image throught the gallery

update
I just read something about X3 will not support this but X4 .. Considering I am using X3 for many year (14 ?) How long will X4 take to be released? ;)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Orientation in gallery - new Files function

07 Aug 2022, 07:15

zeroday wrote: I see that the new Files function has the ability to change the orientation of the image automatically
It doesn't actually change the rotation in the file. It simply rotates the image in browser according to EXIF, if browser and server supports it.
zeroday wrote:This is a feature I wanted for soooo long, but I need to have it in the Gallery
There are clear reasons why we can't add this into X3: Many users have already rotated their images on upload, and if we now tell the browser to rotate the image based on EXIF, it will cause compound incorrect rotations, which would also affect thumbnails.
zeroday wrote:As I put all my images on a NAS where there is no upload needed for X3, the gallery does not change the orientation when accessing the image throught the gallery
Correct. As mentioned, in X3 we can't tell browser to follow EXIF orientation for images, because many images will then be rotated incorrectly. Also, if we are to do this, we need to invert width/height in the popup (because it needs image dimensions) and also rotate thumbnails in PHP according to EXIF.

The best solution for fixing images that are rotated according to EXIF for browsers and websites, is to run a tool that batch-fixes all images ... In other words, it reads EXIF rotation, changes the image physical rotation accordingly, and then removed the EXIF rotation value. Also imageoptim does this ...
zeroday wrote:I just read something about X3 will not support this but X4 .. Considering I am using X3 for many year (14 ?) How long will X4 take to be released? ;)
14!? I think more like 7 (see X3 status update) :D I am currently contemplating X4. In any case, it will build upon much of the work done with files.gallery, which I am currently upgrading.

zeroday
Topic Author

08 Aug 2022, 04:10

Acutally I have had a tool to batch-process the images to change the orientation and it was looking ok, but now with this update it looks like that there is a change in behaviour and that the non removal of the exif is causing the thumbs to have the incorrect orientation.

As I am not willing to change my files further I will wait for the new version

Actually I am a 14 years user of your software as I see my 14 years subscription to the forum ;)
so 7 years X3 and probably 7 years earlier versions ;)

looking forward to your updates !

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Aug 2022, 06:04

zeroday wrote:Acutally I have had a tool to batch-process the images to change the orientation and it was looking ok, but now with this update it looks like that there is a change in behaviour and that the non removal of the exif is causing the thumbs to have the incorrect orientation.
There were no changes to image rotation behavior in the latest X3 release. As stated in my previous post, I won't be adding any additional options for this in X3, because it may cause compounded incorrect rotations. X3 always displays images at the physical rotation. This must be something in your process or cache. If you want me to diagnose this, I will need a link to the page and at least one image where thumbnail is rotated incorrectly.
zeroday wrote:As I am not willing to change my files further I will wait for the new version
Not quite sure what this means, but X3 will always display images with their physical rotation, which should be default when you are dealing with images uploaded for websites.

If you batch-rotated your images correctly (rotate the images physically according to EXIF, and then reset EXIF, which should be default for all apps that do this), all images will work nicely in browser, regardless what future implementation is used or not. This is fail-proof, future-proof and is therefore the best way to make sure your images always display correctly.

In regards to "X4", which is quite some distance away, it will be created from ground up to display EXIF-rotated images correctly in browser. However, if you are importing images from X3 or images you have processed in some other app (that may not have done it correctly), this could lead to compound incorrect rotation. This is tricky territory, and there's not much we can do about it.
zeroday wrote:Actually I am a 14 years user of your software as I see my 14 years subscription to the forum ;)
so 7 years X3 and probably 7 years earlier versions ;)
Indeed! There was X2 before X3!