Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

deudi
Topic Author

Another new website

24 Jan 2020, 05:09

It's funny. I planned to post here today and just found the recent post from nixpix below, I can 100% agree with his statements. I came from koken and stumbled over photo.gallery and it's great! At the beginning, the backend is somewhat confusing, but you get it after some time.

My site is under contruction, but after just a few days work, this is what i got: https://www.dix-photography.de
Please drop some review.

Before i purchase a license (likelyhood is 99.9999 %  :smile:) i have two remarks/questions:
  • In the popup, i show technical exif data (context). This vanishes after some time, if the mouse is not moved. Some visitors might want to have this visible all the time and some might find this disturbing. It could be nice to have the possibility to show a toggle button, where one can display this permanently or hide it permanently. Or do i miss something?
  • I would like to set up my page in two versions for two languages. I guess currently this is not possible, hence the workaround on nixpix. I have understood, that i can set up two subdomains for separate sites using just one license. But hey, this would require to upload all pictures twice, right? All i need is two versions of text. Is there another possibility i miss and/or can you consider this for a future release?
Best wishes from Germany
Jürgen

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Another new website

24 Jan 2020, 23:56

Hi Jürgen. Clean page structure, nice choice of colors/font and your images speak for themselves! Good job :clap:

For your slideshow-intro, I prefer "cover" mode to avoid the unappealing empty spaces around the image. But that means the image will be slightly cropped, depending on the aspect ratio of the device screen. A matter of personal opinion! Perhaps you should consider disabling the "dots" navigation below the slideshow? They seem to clutter the layout, and I can't see many people who use this to navigate images.
deudi wrote:In the popup, i show technical exif data (context). This vanishes after some time, if the mouse is not moved. Some visitors might want to have this visible all the time and some might find this disturbing. It could be nice to have the possibility to show a toggle button, where one can display this permanently or hide it permanently. Or do i miss something?
I have been considering something like this, but I also think adding extra interface buttons is counter-productive for most users. Were you aware that if you HOVER MOUSE over the caption, it will always remain visible? Seems like the most practical and least intrusive solution. Also, on mobile (touch), the caption will toggle on/off on TAP, persistently.
deudi wrote:I would like to set up my page in two versions for two languages. I guess currently this is not possible, hence the workaround on nixpix. I have understood, that i can set up two subdomains for separate sites using just one license. But hey, this would require to upload all pictures twice, right? All i need is two versions of text. Is there another possibility i miss and/or can you consider this for a future release?
Yes, unfortunately multi-language is not yet a native feature of X3. There are challenges related to cache, multi-lang panel interface, and how to implement virtual url's (/es/ /en/ /fr/ etc.) pointing to the same gallery but with different language. Definitely something we will consider for a future release.

For now, your option is to maintain TWO identical websites, but with different texts. The easiest solution in regards to this, is to create the website in one language first (with pictures), and then just clone the entire dir into a new directory, and edit all the texts. More about this in the below topic:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9073

A single X3 license can be used however you like on the same primary domain.

deudi
Topic Author

Re: Another new website

25 Jan 2020, 06:17

mjau-mjau wrote:For your slideshow-intro, I prefer "cover" mode to avoid the unappealing empty spaces around the image. But that means the image will be slightly cropped, depending on the aspect ratio of the device screen. A matter of personal opinion! Perhaps you should consider disabling the "dots" navigation below the slideshow? They seem to clutter the layout, and I can't see many people who use this to navigate images.
Thanks for that, it's opinion, but i changed it to your recommendation. It looks cleaner now. For "cover" i had to remove the upright format images as those would not look nice.

And thanks for the link. I will try the approach with the two sites.

License purchased!  :punch:

Regards Jürgen