Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

torgjoha
Topic Author

My Photo Gallery

11 Mar 2021, 11:56

This is my updated photo gallery www.macrogallery.net  Contains five galleries at the moment.  X 3 Photo Gallery is easy to set up and maintain.
There is speed issues on the site, takes time to show first  paint. Site is routed through Cloudflare. Disabled CDN in the settings  and this improved the speed.

Joseph_balson
Experienced

Re: My Photo Gallery

11 Mar 2021, 13:53

no speed issue for me, it's pretty fast actually

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Mar 2021, 23:41

Cloudflare
Having Cloudflare enabled may increase speeds for static assets (images, JS, CSS) as soon as they get cached on CDN, but not "pages". Also, it may be faster for visitors from other locations, although it's not faster for you. There is no logical reason your website would load slower with Cloudflare CDN, except for some pure coincidence ... The data still gets routed through Cloudflare. The only thing you are doing is preventing Cloudflare from serving a cached version, and instead having to forward the request to your server.

Speed
Everything on your website loads quite fast, except the main original document (that loads before everything else). This document will never get cached at Cloudflare of course (even with CDN enabled), because it doesn't cache "pages" that might change. This requests is always routed through your server. This is what the loading waterfall looks like, clearly you can see initial "document" is slow (1s +), while static assets are fast:

Let's take a closer look at response headers for the document:
As you can see, even X3 "gets" the cached page very fast via PHP. However, it's simply your server that is stalling the request. Although 1 second isn't fast, it's not that slow either, especially considering the rest of the website data loads quite fast. If you want to follow up on that, you would need to look into your hosting service, which is probably shared hosting? You could be sharing your resources with many (maybe too many) other websites, and there are many bottlenecks.

torgjoha
Topic Author

12 Mar 2021, 10:48

Thank you for taking your time to explain the waterfall. I didn't know that the main document never get cached by Cloudflare.  I have observed long loading time on different browsers. Server respons times is variable, it is on a shared hosting. When hesitating, page only shows heading (Photograpy by .....) and a rotating timer.
This is different to my other site www.macrogallery.com that is a WordPress site. This site starts to show content before everything is loaded.
On macrogallery.net settings, I have disabled the "Use CDN", this stops the https://cdn.jsdelivr.net links. I am not sure this makes any difference. Anyway site loads very well without this enabled.
I will contact  GoDaddy, the hosting provider and check if it is possible to increase server response. Without an upgrade!!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Mar 2021, 00:15

torgjoha wrote:Thank you for taking your time to explain the waterfall. I didn't know that the main document never get cached by Cloudflare.
Because it's not safe. What would happen when you update the text or add new images? Cloudflare only caches static assets, because it's safe to assume they don't change, and if they do, they will eventually get updated. Besides, with static assets, you would normally use versioning like "/jquery@3.5.1/dist/jquery.min.js" which prevents the possibility of updated files getting cached.
torgjoha wrote:I have observed long loading time on different browsers. Server respons times is variable, it is on a shared hosting. When hesitating, page only shows heading (Photograpy by .....) and a rotating timer.
X3 needs to load JS entirely before it renders the page, and then when navigating pages after first page load, I'm sure you will notice your pages load much faster? Surely this is important. When clicking a link in your Wordpress page, the clicked page seems to take around 5 seconds before the page is entirely loaded. When clicking X3 link, sureless less than one second.

After navigating your website, I see definitely see something is very very slow. This is either your Wordpress website hogging resources, extremely slow hosting, or you are sharing with another website that is hogging resources. X3 is very fast, and you can check yourself from www.photo.gallery/showcase/ ... Most websites there are on shared hosting, and they definitely load much faster than yours.

GoDaddy should normally be "acceptable", and that's why I think it's something else on the same service that is hogging resources. I doubt they will "increase server response" just by asking.
torgjoha wrote:On macrogallery.net settings, I have disabled the "Use CDN", this stops the https://cdn.jsdelivr.net links. I am not sure this makes any difference. Anyway site loads very well without this enabled.
There is no logical reason why this would be faster. The only reason they might "seem" as fast, is because you are using Cloudflare, and in BOTH cases, these files will get cached on the SAME Cloudflare CDN effectively ... So it would basically be identical. The BENEFIT of using the jsdelivr CDN version, is that this item is already cached in hundreds of locations, and often in many visitors browsers. As an example, I'll take a random location, likely far away from yours:

JSdelivr version 55 ms load time
https://tools.pingdom.com/#5e0a7f6ec4800000 (results)
https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/x3.photo.g ... /x3.min.js

Your self-hosted version 439 ms load time
https://tools.pingdom.com/#5e0a7f8bd1000000 (results)
https://www.macrogallery.net/app/public ... /x3.min.js

The above will change of course once you start refreshing, as your resources will also get cached, but for average clicks from various locations, the CDN version will load much faster.

Unfortunately, it all comes down to something on server delaying the response output. As in my previous post, you can even see that X3 fetches and creates the output fast.

torgjoha
Topic Author

21 Mar 2021, 12:55

I have set PHP memory to 512M in Godaddy CPanel, now macrogallery.net get better results on GTmetrix,  A grade and performance 86%.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Mar 2021, 01:07

Good!