Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

timberline
Topic Author

Settings Page wont appear

28 Dec 2015, 10:16

Ive installed the new version and even went in and changed the config file and resigned in to the panel. But it wont show anything on the settings page and it keeps telling me "It seems you are using the default Panel login. Please go to X3 Panel › settings › panel, and change the username- and password to secure your website." But then the top part says "There are no critical issues, but we recommend resolving warnings if possible. Once satisfied, you may proceed to Panel › settings › settings and disable diagnostics." Which to me seems like its impossible if the bottom part is telling me to go to the settings page and the top part is telling me i have to fix the bottom issue for it to even show the setting page. Just wondering how to handle this?
Attachments
Panel.jpg
Panel.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 12273 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Settings Page wont appear

28 Dec 2015, 11:46

timberline wrote:Ive installed the new version and even went in and changed the config file and resigned in to the panel.
Not sure what config file you have changed. You should NEVER be editing any config file manually, and it seems like you have edited the wrong one ... The warning you are looking at simply tells you that you should change the login to your panel, since it is using the default admin/admin. It even says "Please go to X3 Panel › settings › panel, and change the username- and password to secure your website.", including a link to the panel where you can login and change it.
timberline wrote:But it wont show anything on the settings page and it keeps telling me "It seems you are using the default Panel login. Please go to X3 Panel › settings › panel, and change the username- and password to secure your website."
And this you have done? It is not clear to me, as you said you have edited the "config file", and Im not sure what config file you have edited. I really need link to your gallery to diagnose this, as the screenshot just says what it sees,
timberline wrote:But then the top part says "There are no critical issues, but we recommend resolving warnings if possible. Once satisfied, you may proceed to Panel › settings › settings and disable diagnostics." Which to me seems like its impossible if the bottom part is telling me to go to the settings page and the top part is telling me i have to fix the bottom issue for it to even show the setting page. Just wondering how to handle this?
It seems you may be misunderstanding something. The top part says there are no critical issues to run the gallery, because there aren't. The bottom part is a WARNING that you should change the admin login. I don't see how this is impossible ... You login to the panel, and navigate to the settings page in the panel. Where does it say you have to fix the bottom issue before it can even show the settings page? You can login to the panel with default admin/admin, view settings, and change login ... that will solve the warning.

timberline
Topic Author

28 Dec 2015, 14:55

I went by this link that says you should change the config file. (https://www.photo.gallery/x3docs/setup/panel/) that's why i opened and changed the config file. After I changed the config file it let me sign in under my new name and password.

My problem is that i have no appear on my settings page it is just blank so i cant do anything on it. I have went to the protect page and added new users and changed the config file for users. But that warning is still coming up to go to the settings page and change users and password to protect my site but when i go to settings this is all i see.

There is a very good chance I've missed something or misunderstood something before this step but at this point Ive tried it twice and had the same problem both times. That it tells me I have to go to the settings page and secure my website and then it says i can satisfied doing that i can proceed to the panel settings page and disable the diagnostics but if i cant get to the settings page how can disable the diagnostics.
Attachments
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (23.24 KiB) Viewed 12266 times

timberline
Topic Author

28 Dec 2015, 14:56

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Dec 2015, 22:23

timberline wrote:I went by this link that says you should change the config file. (https://www.photo.gallery/x3docs/setup/panel/) that's why i opened and changed the config file. After I changed the config file it let me sign in under my new name and password.
Sorry, the "x3docs" you are looking at, are outdated, and therefore we have removed most references to these temporary beta docs for an earlier version. I am wondering though, when you first got the diagnostics, it clearly says:
warning wrote:It seems you are using the default Panel login. Please go to X3 Panel › settings › panel, and change the username- and password to secure your website.
The "default" panel login means admin/admin (as is clear on the initial login page). You can login with the default login initially, and change the username/password.
timberline wrote:My problem is that i have no appear on my settings page it is just blank so i cant do anything on it. I have went to the protect page and added new users and changed the config file for users. But that warning is still coming up to go to the settings page and change users and password to protect my site but when i go to settings this is all i see.
It is likely that something is broken after editing config file directly. The warning still shows up in diagnostics, because it thinks the user/password is still default, because it is likely you have edited panel/config.php directly instead of the actual config user file.
timberline wrote:There is a very good chance I've missed something or misunderstood something before this step but at this point Ive tried it twice and had the same problem both times. That it tells me I have to go to the settings page and secure my website and then it says i can satisfied doing that i can proceed to the panel settings page and disable the diagnostics but if i cant get to the settings page how can disable the diagnostics.
Well, if you can't get to the settings page because of an error, then obviously this needs to get solved first. I would imagine this error happens because of your custom config editing to be honest, so I would revert back to the original X3 files before anything else (please never edit any config files manually). I can check for you, but will need panel login (or send me link before you change it from admin/admin), and possibly FTP (unless it gets fixed automatically by reverting to original files).

timberline
Topic Author

29 Dec 2015, 14:03

Hi Karl,

I have re-installed a fresh copy on a new site: http://www.huntercaskets.com/panel/
I have re-installed a fresh copy on a new site: http://polyvault.qa.selectionroom.com/
When using Google Chrome:
When I click on X3Panel link this is what I get: http://panel/
This webpage is not available

When using Firefox:
When I click on X3Panel link this is what I get: http://polyvault.qa.selectionroom.com/\/panel/
NO Settings

When using Explorer:
When I click on X3Panel link this is what I get: http://polyvault.qa.selectionroom.com//panel/
NO Settings

I can go to the "Protect" area in the panel and make & save changes but when I try to login I get the same default login.

Just to clarify: You have to make admin password setting changes in the "Setting" and not in the "Protect" area? If this is correct then you can see that I can not get to "Setting".

Please go to site link and see if you can see something we are doing wrong.

Thanks, Sorry to be such a bother

Chris Miller
Attachments
image 1 on Firefox.jpg
When using Firefox, Nothing in setting
image 1 on Firefox.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 12257 times
image 2 on Google Crome.jpg
where link takes me on Google Crome
image 2 on Google Crome.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 12257 times
image 1 on Google Crome.jpg
New Site view on Google Crome
image 1 on Google Crome.jpg (133.68 KiB) Viewed 12257 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

30 Dec 2015, 01:00

Hi. Sorry, but there are some shortcomings on your server that are all related to the issues mentioned. May I ask who is the host? Why they don't upgrade their server? It's using an old version of PHP 5.3 from more than 5 years ago, doesn't support several standard server variables, and missing several other standard modules.

$_SERVER['SERVER_ADDR']
http://www.huntercaskets.com/check/
Most importantly, it doesn't even report server_addr, which is necessary for us to build the web address. Although not a critical issue in itself, this is why the /panel/ link breaks (doesnt really matter which browser you use, as they just try to interpret the broken link differently). However, this issue will critically affect the main X3 website, because links will not work properly.

Missing files
Further checking reveals you are missing several files in your panel (and maybe other places?). For example, the panel tries to load three files:
http://www.huntercaskets.com/panel/settings-schema.json
http://www.huntercaskets.com/panel/sett ... lates.json
http://www.huntercaskets.com/panel/sett ... chema.json
They return "404 - page not found". Either you have not uploaded all files, or it is your server pulling a new trick (hopefully not, as effectively it would mean this server is useless).

The files above are entirely fundamental for all panel settings/page-settings to work, so missing those files will break everything ... no need to diagnose further.

Do you have FTP? I would like to install a fresh copy in a new test folder and diagnose your server from a clean X3 upload. To me, unless you have some admin capabilities from the host to "update PHP" or allow you to use a different version of PHP, then this host doesn't seem like that take things seriously.
timberline wrote:I can go to the "Protect" area in the panel and make & save changes but when I try to login I get the same default login.

Just to clarify: You have to make admin password setting changes in the "Setting" and not in the "Protect" area? If this is correct then you can see that I can not get to "Setting".
Sorry, the "protect" area is only for protecting pages in your X3 website (frontend). It doesn't affect login to the panel in any way. Panel login is set in settings.

Certainly, you have some problems with server, and this needs to be dealt with first.
timberline wrote:Thanks, Sorry to be such a bother
No problem at all. It is understandable if you are confused, as the server issues have broken much of the expected functionality. It's an opportunity for us to implement better diagnostics and fail-safe some issues.

timberline
Topic Author

06 Jan 2016, 07:09

I help Mr. Miller with some aspects of his technology.

1 - The server has various versions of PHP installed to support older software including some older Imagevue. However we have the newest PHP clear back to the older 5.3. All we need to do is configure the individual site for the desired version of PHP. This is done.

2 - The JSON files are not missing. JSON isn't a file type served by IIS by default. This was easy enough to fix.

3 - Even with the newest version of PHP and the JSON files being served there are some oddities. Before we dig in on those. . . .

I see that much of the documentation centers on Linux as well as things such as modules specific to Apache rewrite, deflate etc. . . Is x3 supported using IIS on WIndows? If it is can you provide any guidance or documentation that could help me to ensure all of the appropriate settings are configured and pre-requisite software is available?

Thanks,

Dan (On Behalf of Mr. Miller).

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Jan 2016, 03:03

Hi Dan. I was in fact looking into this post recently regarding new features to diagnose issues, and fail-safe X3 setup. I will need to address what you last mentioned last, because unfortunately this is the main pitfall in your case:
timberline wrote:I see that much of the documentation centers on Linux as well as things such as modules specific to Apache rewrite, deflate etc. . . Is x3 supported using IIS on WIndows? If it is can you provide any guidance or documentation that could help me to ensure all of the appropriate settings are configured and pre-requisite software is available?
Yes you are right that the main focus is around Linux->APACHE server, since 99% of public hosting services use this (unless requested otherwise). Technically, X3 should work properly under windows also, as long as PHP is operational, but there are a few crucial factors that we have not yet been able to address. Most importantly, there is a crucial .htaccess file (apache/linux), which X3 depends on to rewrite pages and create "nice url's", and also for calling upon resized images. I apologize that you were not notified about this previously, as I should have noticed it when diagnosing.

Unfortunately, I have to say that X3 just isn't ready for Win IIS servers currently, until we have the time to look into it, and prepare optional configuration. If you could offer FTP access to the Win IIS server, I would be happy to look into it rather soon ... If you cannot provide this, which is understandable, we will eventually be looking into it as soon as we find time and resource.

Just quickly going through your other points, which are mostly out-shadowed by the issue above:
timberline wrote:1 - The server has various versions of PHP installed to support older software including some older Imagevue. However we have the newest PHP clear back to the older 5.3. All we need to do is configure the individual site for the desired version of PHP. This is done.
Yes. Generally nothing wrong with this aspect. I see your host was using PHP 5.3.6, and it would definitely be better if you were using version 5.4 or higher ... There are some issues with 5.3 regarding encoding and a few missing features.
timberline wrote:2 - The JSON files are not missing. JSON isn't a file type served by IIS by default. This was easy enough to fix.
Ok. The server should definitely be serving all typical web-formats though ... This is crucial to ANY web application. I don't see why any web server would not serve json files by default, unless it is a custom server setup from scratch (which means problems).

timberline
Topic Author

07 Jan 2016, 13:04

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the prevalence of the LAMP stack. It is very popular for good reason. So I do not fault you for the focus on that.

IIS by default (without selecting certain options / specific configuration effort) will not serve JSON files. Although it provides a 404 it will be logging some other details behind the scenes because IIS does not know who is to handle the file and does not make assumptions about it being text. It is a simple fix. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... s.10).aspx

I will take a look and see about importing the htaccess for IIS and let you know if I have any success. Otherwise maybe we can move over the LAMP direction for some of our efforts. From what I can tell the primary issues for IIS are the URL rewrites and the htaccess.

Will post any progress.

Thanks,

Dan

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Jan 2016, 21:18

timberline wrote:From what I can tell the primary issues for IIS are the URL rewrites and the htaccess.
Yes, it should be the only issue to deal with ... There was another warning on your server: "Warning: filemtime() [function.filemtime]: stat failed for ./config/config.user.json", but this seems related to the JSON file compatibility. Also, there seems to be a problem with UTF-8 character-encoding, and I was thinking that could be related to php 5.3 ...

Also, you don't really need to convert the entire .htaccess. Up to line 60 sufficient for the X3 app ... I have included below the .htaccess rules that are generally required for the X3 app:
Code
RewriteEngine on

# Customize what Apache returns to the client in case of an error.
ErrorDocument 404 /404.html

# Rewrite any calls to *.html, *.json, *.xml, *.atom, *.rss, *.rdf or *.txt if a folder matching * exists
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !public/
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/public/$1.$2 !-f
RewriteRule (.+)\.(html|json|xml|atom|rss|rdf|txt)$ $1/ [L]

# Add a trailing slash to directories
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.|\?)
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ([^/]+)$ $1/ [L]

# Rewrite any calls to /render to the image parser
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} render/