Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

Wrong thumbnails after renaming images

20 Mar 2020, 08:17

When I want to replace an image with another one but want to use the same filename, there's the old thumbnail displaying in the panel > gallery.

My approach:
- delete old image in panel
- copy new image from another folder in panel
- rename new image to old name
-> thumbnail changes

Clicking on the image shows the correct file and on the front end everything is fine, too, but that's really confusing. Actually it took me a while to realise only the thumbnail is wrong, that was my most frustrating experience with X3 so far.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Wrong thumbnails after renaming images

20 Mar 2020, 22:38

This is your browser cache. When you create an image, load it into browser (small preview version), it will cache in browser. This is normal and necessary for static assets (like images). Then, when you effectively replace the image using the same name, your browser may still serve a cached jpg request, because the request is cached.

You can try yourself by opening the small preview image in new browser window (use right-click from panel). Then add ?blahblah after the url, and you will see it shows the correct image. To bypass this behavior, you would either need to always use new file names (instead of replacing), or empty your browser cache, or use incognito/private browser.

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Wrong thumbnails after renaming images

24 Mar 2020, 11:34

Understood. I'll look for a way to disable caching in the browser for the panel.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography