Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

Styling of non-clickable pages

25 Oct 2019, 10:51

Sorry for the maybe confusing topic title, didn't know how else to put it.

I have two pages with subpages on my website and since I am using the sidebar layout you can't click and visit them but have to choose a subpage in the menu. Nonetheless you can visit them by typing in the corresponding URL which isn't hard to guess. Unfortunately those pages don't reflect any settings I make in the backend:
5s.png
5s.png (37.14 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
5t.png
5t.png (36.22 KiB) Viewed 5125 times

I think the page should now be empty, instead it looks like that:
5u.png
5u.png (360.13 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
Did I miss something or is this a bug?
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Styling of non-clickable pages

25 Oct 2019, 11:46

metallissimus wrote:I have two pages with subpages on my website and since I am using the sidebar layout you can't click and visit them but have to choose a subpage in the menu. Nonetheless you can visit them by typing in the corresponding URL which isn't hard to guess.
Correct. Because clicking the parent folder is used to toggle open/close the child items in the menu. We could also load the page (in addition to toggling sub-menu), but in my opinion, that would be confusing behavior.
metallissimus wrote:Unfortunately those pages don't reflect any settings I make in the backend:
In your screenshots, you have 1. hidden CONTEXT and 2. hidden GALLERY. That page does not contain any galleries (galleries are IMAGES uploaded directly to the page, which this page doesn't have anyway). Instead, you see FOLDER previews, eg links to the child pages that are galleries. This module is controlled from the page's FOLDERS section (not galleries) ... I am not sure why you would want to hide the links to the galleries though ... What if someone arrives on the page by search, or right-clicking the link in menu (open in new window)? Surely it's helpful and nothing wrong in keeping the links to the child pages on that page? That is after all how any structured gallery application would work ...

As for CONTEXT, that is the page's own title, description, content (etc), and it's definitely hidden on that page. What you are seeing is the TITLE and DESCRIPTION of each child folders, and that is also part of the FOLDERS module.

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Oct 2019, 09:16

mjau-mjau wrote: This module is controlled from the page's FOLDERS section (not galleries) ...
Oh, I am a little embarassed I have overlooked that... thanks for pointing that out.

Besides the aforementioned pages I also have a hidden page with client folders which I don't want to be visible. (I'm gonna switch to password protection for any new client, but as of now I am just copying the structure of my old site so clients don't have any trouble with the old links etc.)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Oct 2019, 22:45

metallissimus wrote:Besides the aforementioned pages I also have a hidden page with client folders which I don't want to be visible. (I'm gonna switch to password protection for any new client, but as of now I am just copying the structure of my old site so clients don't have any trouble with the old links etc.)
Got it. For your information, if you set a page to HIDDEN, it would not display in the parent page's "folders" layout either. For example, if you have a client page (password protected or not), if you set it to "hidden", it should not display in the parent page or in the menu. That should be the point of the "hidden" feature!

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Oct 2019, 04:43

Observation: Sub pages of hidden pages are greyed out in the menu tree in the panel automatically, even if they themselves are not hidden, which makes them falsely look like they're hidden.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Oct 2019, 11:30

metallissimus wrote:Observation: Sub pages of hidden pages are greyed out in the menu tree in the panel automatically, even if they themselves are not hidden, which makes them falsely look like they're hidden.
When a page is "hidden", it means it is impossible to see or navigate to that page from the public website (because it's hidden from menu and page folder listings). Logically, that also means that all child pages of a hidden page are also hidden from the public website ... After all, if you hide /myfolder/, you are also hiding all /myfolder/*childfolders*.

I get your point: If you have a link to a hidden page, the hidden page itself might display child-pages, unless those child pages are also specifically hidden. However, I would definitely find it most logical (in most user cases) to emphasize child pages of hidden pages as hidden, since they are also considered "hidden" from a global perspective. After all, you are hiding the entire sub-tree section from the website, and I feel it would be counter-productive to emphasize these folders as visible.

Thanks for feedback! I'll answer your other post tomorrow.