X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

svenflock
Experienced
Topic Author

Folders preview from menu with carousel gives blurry previews

15 Oct 2019, 15:37

Hi!

I am a new customer :-). I switched from Koken and I like the product a lot. I am currently playing around and I have noticed a strange behavior. 

In my menu I have referenced a page with folders (sub galleries). I have enabled menu preview with carousel. When I hover over the menu, the preview images are rendered blurry (see attached image).

This happens always when I visit the site the first time. I tested it with the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome and Opera. In general, I have to force-reload the site 3-4 times to get the high quality renders.

This is my backend:
  • Apache 2.4.34
  • PHP 7.3.10
  • MariaDB 10.2 (for backend)
  • X3.27.0 (latest version)
You can test it yourself by visiting https://düsseldorf-hochzeitsfotograf.de

Thanks for your help!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Folders preview from menu with carousel gives blurry previews

15 Oct 2019, 22:37

At first, it loaded correctly:

However, as I refreshed, I also noticed that it showed the same as in your screenshot.

Strange! I know why this could happen, as it seems X3 is not getting correct width values when determining what image size to load. However, I am not sure why it happens for your website specifically (I can't reproduce the issue on our demo.photo.gallery or websites in the showcase).

Can you please try to disable the image intro plugin for your start page? I suspect it might be involved.

I would like to find the cause, but it definitely looks like a bug.

svenflock
Experienced
Topic Author

16 Oct 2019, 18:59

Hi,

I have disabled the intro plugin, the error remains (see picture below). However, it happened less frequent than with activated intro plugin. Because you mentioned that you do not see such behavior on your sample site, I noticed that I have mod_pagespeed activated on my server.

When using düsseldorf-hochzeitsfotograf.de/?PageSpeed=off to enter the site I was not able to get the error. Do you have any idea what is messing around? I have to identify the setting which is causing the render error.

svenflock
Experienced
Topic Author

17 Oct 2019, 06:23

Ok, I found the rule which was messing up with the preview images. First, I tried the most obvious, but it wasn't that. Looks like that a CSS critical path does not provide details about image sizes. As the rule does not have much impact on pagespeed, I have disabled it in the following way in the .htaccess.

Sorry for bothering you. You can close the ticktet :-).
Code
# custom rules start
<IfModule pagespeed_module>
  #ModPagespeedDisableFilters rewrite_images
  #ModPagespeedDisableFilters responsive_images,resize_images
  #ModPagespeedDisableFilters convert_png_to_jpeg,convert_jpeg_to_webp
   ModPagespeedDisableFilters prioritize_critical_css
</IfModule>
# custom rules end

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Oct 2019, 07:03

That's interesting. I would have to check exactly what prioritize_critical_css does and how it affects X3, but it is definitely causing the image placeholders in the carousel to request image sizes prematurely, before they know what their own sizes are.

Glad it's solved!