Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mic112
Topic Author

Some issues

21 May 2019, 13:00

Hi guys,

I am about to rebuild my portfolio on Mikablog|Foto with the help of X3.
Currently I have a problem with some, not all, photos. They seem to be corrupted somehow. Is this due to the infamous php-bug?

Another issue: I can't figure out which IPTC-tag X3 is expecting for "description". In Lightroom (and about anywhere else AFAIK) this corresponds to "caption". But whatever I add in Lightroom - X3 only uses the "Title".

Talking about Lightroom. As one of the many Koken-orphans I am spoiled as far as uploading pictures directly to the site (Koken, Flickr, WordPress...) is concerned. I'd love to see this implemented in X3 as well.

Currently I use a FTP-plugin for LR and point it to a folder named "upload" in X3 - which is not displaying anywhere on the site except for the backend. From there I can move the pictures to the respective gallery. Kind of works.

Oh, and - tags. I'd love not to have to duplicate photos anymore. But that is a feature request rather.

Any help/feedback/hints would be appreciated.

Michael
____
Michael
Galerie // Fotoblog

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Some issues

22 May 2019, 01:12

Hi Michael,
mic112 wrote:Currently I have a problem with some, not all, photos. They seem to be corrupted somehow. Is this due to the infamous php-bug?
This would simply mean the image is corrupted somehow. When an image is corrupted, PHP can't extract details about the image. It could be the image was already corrupted prior to upload, but it could also have been corrupted on upload/transfer. Both are unusual.

I am not sure what php-bug you are referring to. I have seen this error before, and in all cases, the image has been corrupted. I can test if you have a link to a specific image that is corrupted.
mic112 wrote:Another issue: I can't figure out which IPTC-tag X3 is expecting for "description". In Lightroom (and about anywhere else AFAIK) this corresponds to "caption". But whatever I add in Lightroom - X3 only uses the "Title".
Perhaps you didn't enable descriptions in the gallery layout? X3 uses two IPTC values, and this is pretty much standards:
TITLE: IPTC.ObjectName (2#005)
DESCRIPTION: IPTC.Caption (2#120)

They are pretty much the only options to use for two values title and description, as you can see in this IPTC overview:
http://phpgraphy.sourceforge.net/manual ... pas04.html

Something else must be the issue. You can send an image to me where you have stored a caption that does not display in X3.
mic112 wrote:Talking about Lightroom. As one of the many Koken-orphans I am spoiled as far as uploading pictures directly to the site (Koken, Flickr, WordPress...) is concerned. I'd love to see this implemented in X3 as well.
You mean upload directly from Lightroom to X3? Yes, it has been requested earlier and will be considered in the future. We need to re-build X3 control panel first.
mic112 wrote:Currently I use a FTP-plugin for LR and point it to a folder named "upload" in X3 - which is not displaying anywhere on the site except for the backend. From there I can move the pictures to the respective gallery. Kind of works.
Just for reference in regards to the above, you CAN upload images to X3 folders directly by FTP. But ... X3 uses a page CACHE mechanism, which makes sure your pages are output VERY FAST to visitors, because the pages do not have to be re-processed. The X3 panel handles caching automatically, because it knows when you make changes (new uploads), and can therefore notify the frontend to re-create pages when require. However, when you upload images by FTP, X3 does not now that changes were made, and will still serve cached pages which do not include your newly uploaded images. The X3 PANEL will always show newly uploaded images, because the panel does not need to cache pages.

Workaround
  1. If you want to upload images directly to existing X3 gallery folders, or even create new pages, directly from FTP (or Lightroom FTP-plugin):
  2. Upload your images and/or create folders from FTP/plugin.
  3. Access {yourwebsite}/panel/touch.php. The touch PHP script simply notifies X3 that "changes were made, so please refresh page cache to reflect new images/pages".
mic112 wrote:Oh, and - tags. I'd love not to have to duplicate photos anymore. But that is a feature request rather.
Tags, as in keywords inherited from IPTC.keywords? And you mean so that you can use tags to create smart-folders? For example create a folder to load images from other folders that include images with specific tags?

Yes, all this is quite cool, and something we have to think about for future implementation. Since X3 is not database powered, it requires re-thinking some aspects.

mic112
Topic Author

22 May 2019, 07:18

Hi Karl,

thanks for the fast reply.

This would simply mean the image is corrupted somehow. When an image is corrupted, PHP can't extract details about the image. It could be the image was already corrupted prior to upload, but it could also have been corrupted on upload/transfer. Both are unusual.

I am not sure what php-bug you are referring to. I have seen this error before, and in all cases, the image has been corrupted. I can test if you have a link to a specific image that is corrupted.
Actually just the preview is broken. As you can see here. When you click the image it shows without problems.

I was referring to this issue.
Something else must be the issue. You can send an image to me where you have stored a caption that does not display in X3.
You are absolutely right and pointed me the right direction. Indeed I had a switch deep down in the settings in one of my export-presets in LR, which had the effect to include just Copyright and Contact Information in the metadata. Still wondering why "title" survived though. Let's consider this as solved. :blush:

Workaround
  1. If you want to upload images directly to existing X3 gallery folders, or even create new pages, directly from FTP (or Lightroom FTP-plugin):
  2. Upload your images and/or create folders from FTP/plugin.
  3. Access {yourwebsite}/panel/touch.php. The touch PHP script simply notifies X3 that "changes were made, so please refresh page cache to reflect new images/pages".
This is good to know. Many thanks!
Since X3 is not database powered, it requires re-thinking some aspects.
Oh yes, of course there are good reasons not to use a database and keep things flat. Speed is just one of them.
On the other hand smart folders would be nice to have both from the photog's and the user's point of view.

Thanks and take care!

Michael
____
Michael
Galerie // Fotoblog

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 May 2019, 13:01

mic112 wrote:Actually just the preview is broken. As you can see here. When you click the image it shows without problems.
Just because it partially displays correctly in browser does not mean that it's not corrupt. I have checked your image, and I can see the image is in fact corrupt/incomplete. See the tiny GAP at the bottom of screen where there are a few horizontal lines of missing pixels:
https://foto.mikablog.de/content/Galeri ... 920191.jpg

All the other images you have are fine, for example:
https://foto.mikablog.de/content/Galeri ... eley-1.jpg

So even if the corrupted image displays almost properly, X3 and PHP cannot create a resized version, because it cannot read the image.
mic112 wrote:I was referring to this issue.
This is not related. The bug in that post is about IPTC embed function corrupting images on PHP 7.3. You don't have PHP 7.3, and the PHP 7.3 branch was fixed in 7.3.4 anyway. Even if this was the case, it would break the original image, not purely the ability to resize it.

Hey, thanks for your feedback and suggestions!