Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

stefaniakm
Topic Author

Right arrows colour in menu confusing

18 Feb 2019, 18:04

The same colour and brightness of arrows may be little confusing to which country regard the opened "child folders".

1/ Maybe it would be more clear to dimm out / grey out  not active arrows? Striking the font as bold only might not be enough to orientate well in menu in my opinion.
2/ Maybe it would be good idea if the child folders presented in menu would start at height of active parent folder ? Sth more/less like here:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Right arrows colour in menu confusing

19 Feb 2019, 02:01

I think mostly, this is a result of poor contrasts on DARK skins. As you can see in the LIGHT themes, the contrast is higher, making it pretty clear what parent folder the subfolders belong to:
Unfortunately, contrast on dark backgrounds are simply less visible, simply because everything looks "dark" and it looks strange if contrasts are too light. I will see if there is anything I can do for next update.
stefaniakm wrote:1/ Maybe it would be more clear to dimm out / grey out  not active arrows? Striking the font as bold only might not be enough to orientate well in menu in my opinion.
Perhaps, although the arrows have a clear function, to make it clear that the item contains child folders. This must always be clear. We don't set the text to bold (that would shift the text), but we do increase the color contrast of the text and arrow for the hovered item, as well as the background. "Dimming" the arrow for non-selected items would probably be an idea, but that would require javascript (not just CSS styling) ... a bit overkill, but maybe an option.
stefaniakm wrote:2/ Maybe it would be good idea if the child folders presented in menu would start at height of active parent folder ? Sth more/less like here:
The point of centering the submenu, is to make it a shorter traveling distance and easier for mouse to reach top and bottom child items.

Starting the submenu top aligned with parent menu top, would cause a longer distance to get to the last child item. Also, there is much higher risk of the submenu falling outside the screen (for example a 13" laptop screen), which would then require scrolling. Imagine if the child folders also have submenu's, in which case they would open VERY far down from the topbar. This was considered when the X3 dropdown menu was created, and I don't think it's worth the compromise to remove it for a small benefit on contrast.

stefaniakm
Topic Author

Re: Right arrows colour in menu confusing

19 Feb 2019, 08:39

Unfortunately, contrast on dark backgrounds are simply less visible, simply because everything looks "dark" and it looks strange if contrasts are too light. I will see if there is anything I can do for next update.
Sounds great ! :) 
"Dimming" the arrow for non-selected items would probably be an idea, but that would require javascript (not just CSS styling) ... a bit overkill, but maybe an option.
Maybe slight colour change of active arrow or whole menu item to for example light blue ?
The point of centering the submenu, is to make it a shorter traveling distance  and easier for mouse to reach top and bottom child items.
I fully agree with you !