Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

drzylvon
Experienced
Topic Author

Protect folders and parsing on folder name

29 Jan 2018, 15:30

Hello Karl, so my folders are typically named : "yyyy-mm,name" to allow for easy chronological ordering.
It turns out that after I select the asset folder to protect and click on save, the file name is parsed as a separator after I click save. I can't quite imagine renaming all my folders now. Anyway I can work with an escape character in the mean time of a possible fix ?
parseprotect.png
parseprotect.png (14.67 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
Enjoying X3 so far.

Thanks in advance,

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Protect folders and parsing on folder name

29 Jan 2018, 22:41

Sorry to hear about this problem  :confused:

I would normally have to recommend avoiding "," (commas) in your folder names and really it should be disallowed from the X3 panel. Folder names should be simple labels, as short as possible. In your case I would have used 2013-11-wenduine (also avoiding uppercase). It's more url-friendly, and easier to read. Use titles and descriptions for extensive human-formatting, including any characters and cAsE. You should avoid ALL characters that need to be encoded ... If you copy-paste a link with comma, it will display like this: "2013-11%2CWenduine", as you can see comma being replaced by %2C.
https://blog.seoprofiler.com/google-avo ... ters-urls/
https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/a/98898

I could look into a fix in next release, but that will take a while so perhaps not worth it. Would it be an option to rename folders from your FTP?

drzylvon
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Jan 2018, 14:44

Hey Karl,

I understand encoding, sure.

I'd like to say that I'm sometimes a bit puzzled about where X3 stands. Your engine has a strong accent on user friendliness considering how powerful it is but it still requires you to be a bit "tech savvy" here and there. I somehow stumbled upon a few prompt doing "name convention control" and slipped through as soon I removed all spaces, symbols but somehow "," went through, I didn't give it further thinking as for me, I'm not bothered by them being encoded in a funny way as imho people don't really exchange url so much anymore. It's either "share" or bit.ly or ...  So I ended up "lowering" my tech reflexes... I'll be more careful then, not a big deal. 

Also, In practice, I'd be more careful but most folders were just copied from my hard drive for local use to my webspace, it's a historical thing.

Another point worth mentioning though, I was satisfied with not entering title, descriptions as my legacy is long enough that I can't see myself go an type them all.  And I just disabled description display :-)... you get it, I'm terribly lazy.

I'll mass rename so I'd say skip the fix in the protect section but tighten the folder naming proofing in the panel.

Cheers,
Z.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Jan 2018, 22:42

drzylvon wrote:I'd like to say that I'm sometimes a bit puzzled about where X3 stands. Your engine has a strong accent on user friendliness considering how powerful it is but it still requires you to be a bit "tech savvy" here and there. I somehow stumbled upon a few prompt doing "name convention control" and slipped through as soon I removed all spaces, symbols but somehow "," went through, I didn't give it further thinking as for me, I'm not bothered by them being encoded in a funny way as imho people don't really exchange url so much anymore. It's either "share" or bit.ly or ...  So I ended up "lowering" my tech reflexes... I'll be more careful then, not a big deal.
I do agree with you, and I'm not saying it's your fault. You are right, X3 DOES require that one is (or becomes) somewhat updated with certain modern web design terms. I don't really see any other way to offer X3 as a flexible modern html5 website with advanced settings that many users are expecting.

I didn't even give comma any additional thoughts before I read your post, when it occurred to me that it should probably be avoided. It is unfortunate that it crashes with separation of links in the protect tab ... I could probably add a fix for that in next release, although ultimately it would be better to avoid characters which can easily break "array" functionality.

In regards to "creating folders" in X3, I have been contemplating on turning the tables: Instead of typing a folder name with strict character limitations, you would simply type TITLE (which is more natural for an average user), and X3 would automatically create the "simplified" folder name URL, which can be edited by advanced users. Anyway, another discussion for another day.
drzylvon wrote:Also, In practice, I'd be more careful but most folders were just copied from my hard drive for local use to my webspace, it's a historical thing.

Another point worth mentioning though, I was satisfied with not entering title, descriptions as my legacy is long enough that I can't see myself go an type them all.  And I just disabled description display :-)... you get it, I'm terribly lazy.

I'll mass rename so I'd say skip the fix in the protect section but tighten the folder naming proofing in the panel.
Got it! Thanks.