X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

marco963
Experienced
Topic Author

"LONG" MENU ISSUE

27 Jan 2017, 04:43

Hi Karl. 

I found an issue related to the display of menus with many items.
I usually use the sidebar menu and with this kind of layout I can easily scroll all the items, till the last one.
I have just tried the "center topbar" menu layout and it shows the "visible" items, but it doesn't allow to scroll down. (to check, go to marcobrivio.photo and choose menu "GALLERIES"

Marco

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: "LONG" MENU ISSUE

27 Jan 2017, 09:28

Well, I guess there could be room for improvement, but there are a few things at play here:
  • The main reason it doesn't scroll, is because you have FIXED topbar (settings -> style -> layout). When it's fixed, it kinda needs to be attached to the top ... making the menu item scroll would not allow it to be fixed to top. So the simple solution is to disable FIXED topbar from settings.
  • Although the above basically explains the situation, I would question if any visitor has any advantage of using a dropdown menu like that. It's not intuitive to just have a long vertical list of names in a menu that drops down vertically and is taller than the visitors screen.
  • In fact, for such a menu, personally I would choose setting "HIDE CHILD PAGES". In which case, the visitor would CLICK the gallery page itself from the menu, where they would arrive on a page that is 100% OPTIMAL for viewing though such an amount of galleries: http://marcobrivio.photo/GALLERIES/.
  • Of course, there is also the list- and carousel MEGA-MENU options, which creates better interfaces for humans to view extensive sub-structures, although in your case, that would require you to re-think your gallery structure.

marco963
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: "LONG" MENU ISSUE

27 Jan 2017, 10:30

mjau-mjau wrote:Well, I guess there could be room for improvement, but there are a few things at play here:
  • The main reason it doesn't scroll, is because you have FIXED topbar (settings -> style -> layout). When it's fixed, it kinda needs to be attached to the top ... making the menu item scroll would not allow it to be fixed to top. So the simple solution is to disable FIXED topbar from settings.
  • Although the above basically explains the situation, I would question if any visitor has any advantage of using a dropdown menu like that. It's not intuitive to just have a long vertical list of names in a menu that drops down vertically and is taller than the visitors screen.
  • In fact, for such a menu, personally I would choose setting "HIDE CHILD PAGES". In which case, the visitor would CLICK the gallery page itself from the menu, where they would arrive on a page that is 100% OPTIMAL for viewing though such an amount of galleries: http://marcobrivio.photo/GALLERIES/.
  • Of course, there is also the list- and carousel MEGA-MENU options, which creates better interfaces for humans to view extensive sub-structures, although in your case, that would require you to re-think your gallery structure.
Once again I must thank you Karl for your precious support. I have set hidden the child menus and now the interface is clean and usable.
Thank you !