Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

Exif Bug

25 Apr 2016, 20:39

I've noticed a small bug with the EXIF data display.
2 default data entries within my pictures EXIF data:
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model Name: NIKON D610

If I upload a pictures with no changes to the EXIF data:
X3 will display CORPORATION for the camera type. This is not correct, it should be NIKON D610

If I however upload a picture where I've added extra data, like Title, Caption, Author, etc.
X3 will display NIKON D610 for the camera type, as it should be.

This is the only data I've noticed to be incorrect.

Here is a zip file with 2 pictures that display the above situation when uploaded to X3
Pics.zip
Example Pics
(198.4 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Thanks for checking this out
Joe

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Exif Bug

26 Apr 2016, 03:04

I took a look and can confirm the issue. The problem is, it is simply output like that from the native exif_read_data() function in PHP ... Here is the segment of output that is different between the images:
Code
'COMPUTED' =>array(size=9)
  'Copyright' =>string'� Share It - Dont Sell It'(length=26)
'ImageDescription' =>string'Relaxing after the drive down'(length=29)
'Make' =>string'NIKON CORPORATION'(length=17)
'Model' =>string'NIKON D610'(length=10)
'Software' =>string'Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)'(length=39)

Code
'COMPUTED' =>array(size=11)
  'Copyright' =>string'4, Joe Gabor'(length=12)
  'Copyright.Photographer' =>string'4'(length=1)
  'Copyright.Editor' =>string'Joe Gabor'(length=9)
'Make' =>string''(length=1)
'Model' =>string'CORPORATION'(length=11)
'Software' =>string''(length=1)
It simply outputs incorrectly for Make and Model. In addition, it outputs some strange "SOH" unicode characters for the make and software:

I did some research, and came across this post:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3059 ... plete-data

There is no accepted answer for the topic above, but it seems very likely it's related to one of the comments:
rauberdaniel wrote:Could the reason be that the camera uses exif 2.3 and PHP can only handle exif 2.2?
Unfortunately, this is an issue native to PHP and the process that occurs when you add/moderate IPTC data. What software do you use for that? Perhaps you can tweak how exif/iptc data is stored ... maybe change exif version?

Sorry, this doesn't seem like something we can fix from PHP/x3.

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

26 Apr 2016, 11:56

Just to be clear, this really isn't a problem for me. I almost always add EXIF data to my photos so the photo info (title,caption,place,etc.) will be in the photo forever. This problem ONLY happens when I do NOT edit the EXIF photo data. I believe the photos that have the problem (in my instance) came straight out of Lightroom 6.x unaltered. I only brought the issue up so that it could be addressed if possible. For software, I use Windows 7 and use GeoSetter, an amazing windows based EXIF/IPTC/XMP editor (no affiliation), to add and edit the EXIF/IPTC data. That program uses Phil Harvey's ExifTool within it to make the photo data changes.
Hope this helps
Joe

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

26 Apr 2016, 12:18

sprocket wrote:This problem ONLY happens when I do NOT edit the EXIF photo data.
That means that either the camera, or lightroom app, stores the EXIF in some way (possibly a newer exif version) that PHP cannot parse entirely correct.

It also means that your Geosetter application corrects the issue, by refactoring the EXIF data into a format/version that PHP DOES fully understand.

I can't fix this issue in native PHP, but good to know!