X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

Vertical scrollnav not showing all images

09 Aug 2015, 18:26

Hi guys,

there is a bug when using the vertical scrollnav feature. For instance in a folder I have 15 images but it only displays 8 images, another example I have 83 images but it only displays 72 images. Is this how the scrollnav works or is this a bug. I like the scrollnav feature but can't use it if it doesn't list all images in given folder.
Last edited by grimurnet on 09 Aug 2015, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Vertical scrollnav not showing all images

09 Aug 2015, 18:27

grimurnet wrote:Hi guys,

there is a bug when using the vertical scrollnav feature. For instance in a folder I have 15 images but it only displays 8 images, another example I have 83 images but it only displays 72 images. Is this how the scrollnav works or is this a bug. I like the scrollnav feature but can't use it if it doesn't list all images in given folder.
By the way it behaves the same way on flamepix demo site

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Aug 2015, 01:21

This isn't a bug. It is just filtering only landscape-aspect images with the "landscape" tag from your gallery page settings. I don't want portrait-aspect images in the vertical layout, because they do not work well and will almost certainly get cut off. I would only generally recommend vertical layout for landscape-aspect images, or perhaps if you are using a narrow gallery layout.

We use this filter specifically in the demo because we are using the same gallery assets for all gallery examples, but don't want to display portrait-aspect images in the vertical demo.

I know these things aren't clear, but hopefully we will be able to make them clearer.

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Aug 2015, 13:19

mjau-mjau wrote:This isn't a bug. It is just filtering only landscape-aspect images with the "landscape" tag from your gallery page settings. I don't want portrait-aspect images in the vertical layout, because they do not work well and will almost certainly get cut off. I would only generally recommend vertical layout for landscape-aspect images, or perhaps if you are using a narrow gallery layout.

We use this filter specifically in the demo because we are using the same gallery assets for all gallery examples, but don't want to display portrait-aspect images in the vertical demo.

I know these things aren't clear, but hopefully we will be able to make them clearer.
ahh yes of course that is actually quite clever, but will there not be a horizontal scrollnav available and display all photos? I like the scrollnav feature. Or even make a vertical scrollnav that will look good for any aspect ratio?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Aug 2015, 13:55

grimurnet wrote:but will there not be a horizontal scrollnav available and display all photos?
Well it is a setting-tag in your gallery called "landscape". If you remove this tag, it will show ALL images.
grimurnet wrote:Or even make a vertical scrollnav that will look good for any aspect ratio?
Unfortunately, that is not a logical request. The vertical layout simply does not suit vertical images.

On a 1280 x 800 macbook 13", this is what I see for a landscape image:

On the same screen, when viewing a portrait aspect image, I need to scroll up/down to view the image.

Not quite sure how you would propose that we solve that. The user can of course click the image to see it in "popup" mode, so the entire image will be scaled down to max-height of screen. Conclusion: There is nothing wrong with displaying portrait-aspect images in the vertical layout also, but it is no secret that the nature of this layout highly favors landscape-aspect images.