X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

Folders are not 'shuffled' when using grid

05 Jul 2015, 10:59

Hi Karl,

I noticed that folders are shuffled when using 'columns', but not when using 'grid'.

This shuffles:
Code
folders		: shuffle columns:3,20,r
This doesn't shuffle:
Code
folders		: shuffle grid:3,2,1
Additional question: is it possible to shuffle the menu too?
The addtion of 'shuffle' in the code below, does not have effect:
Code
menu		: shuffle carousel:5
If this could be possible, then it would be great if the shuffled order of the carousel menu would be the same as the folder ordering.
See this example:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Folders are not 'shuffled' when using grid

06 Jul 2015, 14:37

Martin wrote:I noticed that folders are shuffled when using 'columns', but not when using 'grid'.
Hmm, seems you are right ... I will note it down as a 'bug'. However, this issue will be solved with entirely new "sort" methods coming soon for both image- and folder modules. Instead of tag "shuffle", there will be a sort setting:
Code
gallery: sort:[da][dd][na][nd][random]
date ascending, date descending, name ascending, name descending, random (shuffle) ... Did I miss any sorting method that we need?
Martin wrote:is it possible to shuffle the menu too?

If this could be possible, then it would be great if the shuffled order of the carousel menu would be the same as the folder ordering.
I am a bit skeptical to this. We could add a "shuffle" setting for the menu, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to shuffle the menu on each load. The point of shuffle for a page layout, must be to make sure images/album ordering gets rotated randomly. For a menu, it should normally produce a consistent output, because a visitor will often create a "mind map" of the menu. Also, it seems a bit complicated to synchronize the shuffle of menu items with page items ... strictly speaking, its not shuffle 8)

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Folders are not 'shuffled' when using grid

06 Jul 2015, 14:52

mjau-mjau wrote:
Martin wrote:...is it possible to shuffle the menu too?
I am a bit skeptical to this.... The point of shuffle for a page layout, must be to make sure images/album ordering gets rotated randomly. For a menu, it should normally produce a consistent output, because a visitor will often create a "mind map" of the menu.
Well, I kind of agree with you... visitors should easily find a menu-item they've visited before, but then again this would mean that it's likewise not a good idea to shuffle folders in a page layout.

I just noticed the inconsistency when using the menu-carousel-folders in combination with the shuffled page-folders.

I'm going to drop the whole idea and keep menu-items and page-folders in a fixed order.