Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

Slideshow gallery not looping with two images

18 May 2022, 10:54

I just noticed the above. I guess there's a logic reason behind it (why would you loop, if you can just go back and forth between two items?). On the other hand I want to have visitors have a consistent experience with all galleries. And it's confusing as an admin, too, if I check <loop> but it doesn't loop.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Slideshow gallery not looping with two images

18 May 2022, 23:58

metallissimus wrote:I guess there's a logic reason behind it (why would you loop, if you can just go back and forth between two items?).
That would be the exact reason yes ... Looping in the same direction seems clumsy and unintuitive.
metallissimus wrote:On the other hand I want to have visitors have a consistent experience with all galleries. And it's confusing as an admin, too, if I check <loop> but it doesn't loop.
Understood. But surely it can't do much damage on the visitors behalf to block behavior that is less functional?

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

19 May 2022, 04:35

mjau-mjau wrote: But surely it can't do much damage on the visitors behalf to block behavior that is less functional?
I guess it has its pros and cons. It's probably slightly irritating, on the other hand looping two images is kind of silly. In the end a slideshow for two images doesn't make that much sense to begin with and I would do a lot to avoid that situation, so this is mainly a theoretical discussion.
Just wanted to share my confusion, maybe you could add a hint at the loop setting so admins don't think something's broken.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 May 2022, 06:42

metallissimus wrote:Just wanted to share my confusion, maybe you could add a hint at the loop setting so admins don't think something's broken.
I see it could be confusing. Just to be clear, you are speaking of the gallery slideshow layout? The same behavior applies for the POPUP (which is also like a slideshow).

metallissimus
Experienced
Topic Author

19 May 2022, 08:28

Yeah, I was speking of the gallery layout. I might have been confused in the popup, too, if I checked <loop> end it didn't loop.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 May 2022, 09:50

metallissimus wrote:I might have been confused in the popup, too, if I checked <loop> end it didn't loop.
It's actually checked to LOOP by default, because this is most useful. Loop option (so it could be disabled) was only added later on for some extreme cases. I don't actually think many would disable loop, and because it's default behavior, I simply built in the logic to not loop if there are only one or two items. If this wasn't built-in, we would end up with somewhat inferior behavior because we can't expect all users to sort this out themselves ... 

I understand it was confusing. Apologies for that !  :innocent: