X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

MaciejK
Experienced
Topic Author

Spherical panorama on iPad - wrong zooming

09 Mar 2021, 21:05

Hi
Recently I played a little with my spherical panoramas on iPad. Noticed some issue: when zooming, the panorama does not jump to next level of details (is not loading more detailed tiles) instead looks like content of the window is being zoomed.
Additionally when panning or changing the pitch underlying content is “flashing” through panorama.

Link to mentioned site: http://kolasinski.art.pl/Galerie/Krajobraz/360VRN/

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Spherical panorama on iPad - wrong zooming

09 Mar 2021, 21:20

I checked from iPad mini and can't reproduce. On my iPad mini, there is only a tiny threshold for ZOOM (it only zooms slightly), and this is entirely logical: Device is 2048 px tall and your panorama is wide (obviously) and will not scale beyond pxiel-resolution (when all the pano math is done). Thus, if you are on a larger ipad than me, it's likely you won't even get any zoom threshold.

I am not sure about the "flashing" (can't see from here), and it seems strange that it would zoom the browser if the pano is not zoomable, but could be depend on browser.

I would also recommend that you get your website on SSL/https, because some features on mobile (deviceorientation) are only available on secure HTTPS. I don't think it's related, but worth mentioning.

MaciejK
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Mar 2021, 21:47

Resolution of every panorama on my site is at least ~90MP so it means should be multi resolution or I’m wrong? On my 13” MacBook Pro when zooming i’m getting some 3 levels of detal and no any issues.

Regarding “flashing” it happens when watching the panorama in latest Chrome browser, I’ll check if in Safari is the same.

Also checked right now on my iPhone SE 2020 running iOs 14.4 and zooming works just great.

Note that my ipad mini is old version 3 running iOs 13.

Regarding SSL i’m aware that e.g. gyroscope will not work.

Thank You

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Mar 2021, 22:31

MaciejK wrote:Resolution of every panorama on my site is at least  ~90MP so it means should be multi resolution or I’m wrong? On my 13” MacBook Pro when zooming i’m getting some 3 levels of detal and no any issues.
This is non-retina macbook? The panorama will start at the "level" that "satisfies" the screen resolution. On my macbook 13" pro retina (2560 x 1600), there is some zoom threshold, but it already starts at the most zoomed level (to satisfy screen resolution). The max zoom will then be the calculated pixel-level. In other words, on my macbook retina, I only see one level (the max level). On your iPad, which you are probably holding vertically, the panorama must adjust to the HEIGHT which may be 2048, and may provide no zoom.

I can't give you the full logic of how pixels work, but you need to take in mind that although your panorama is massive, it's distributed as a partial "view" on very large screens, which is often limited by screen height (panorama is ultra-wide). It's normal to have less zoom on vertical devices, because the wide panorama will get limited by the height.
MaciejK wrote:Also checked right now on my iPhone SE 2020 running iOs 14.4 and zooming works just great.
Logically because the screen is smaller.

As mentioned, I can't speak for the "flashing", and it seems strange that the browser would zoom. Even if there is no zoom, I would have hoped that Marzipano blocks default browser zoom in behavior, but it could be this is limited on older OS.

MaciejK
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Mar 2021, 10:51

Ok Karl

Thank You for explanations.