Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Bernd
Topic Author

Color Space Problem Using Resizer

17 Jul 2020, 11:37

Hi!
I have made a test series. There´s definitely a bug with the reziser!
You can see it here: http://www.design-photo.de/x3/Fashion/Bond-Girl/
I have tested it on EIZO Wide Gamut Monitor and sRGB-Monitor and Ipad on browsers Firefox and Chrome.

BEC 3489 2a: Original Size 2730 px, sRGB, panel reziser switched on to 2048 px. Copy ICC color profile switched on. Colors looking pale.
BEC 3489 2b: Original Size 2730 px, sRGB, panel resizer switched off. Copy ICC color profile switched on. Colors are ok.
BEC 3489 2c: Original Size 2730 px, sRGB, panel resizer switched on to 2048 px. Copy ICC color profile switched off. Colors looking pale.
BEC 3489 2d: Original Size 2730 px, sRGB, panel resizer switched off. Copy ICC color profile switched on. Colors are ok.
BEC 3489 2e: Original Size 1000 px, sRGB, panel resizer switched on to 2028 px. But there was nothing to resize. Colors are ok.

So the issue of pale clors only happens when panel resizer is working!

What´s your advice?

Best
Bernd

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Color Space Problem Using Resizer

17 Jul 2020, 12:37

Could you please send me the original image so I can test from here?

I think perhaps you might be mixing some technicalities. There is the X3 UPLOADER, which can resize images ON UPLOAD, directly from the browser. Then there is the X3 RESIZER, which resizes uploaded images to smaller versions. The "Copy ICC profile" setting ONLY applies for the X3 resizer, because it's done on server (PHP) ... This function does not affect the upload-resizer you are referring to, which strictly runs from the browser. So assuming we are speaking of the original large size uploaded images? Yes, I can see there is a difference ... This should not happen if indeed the source is sRGB.

I did a quick test from here. I downloaded your file BEC_3489_2b.jpeg, which I assume is the original with color profile? I then uploaded it from the X3 panel, first with resize ON (2560), and then with resize OFF (original 2730). The resulting uploads have identical colors, which doesn't match your results. Keep in mind, the upload-resizer could be affected by your browser.

Original upload (resize off)

Upload resizer ON (2560). Colors are identical.

I can check with your original if you can send to me. It' unclear with all these images and the fact that "Copy ICC color profile" option does not affect the uploaded original images (even when it goes through the upload-resizer from browser). I'm pretty sure there is some more to the story, especially since it worked here. The upload-resizer wouldn't change colors, at least if the original image is in sRGB format.

Bernd
Topic Author

17 Jul 2020, 14:17

Hi,
yes I´m talking about the X3 Uploader. Sorry for mixing. I´ve noticed that "Copy ICC profile" does not affect the uploader.
I send you the original image attached. File is sRGB. I had to reduce the Quality because of 1 MB restriction for attachments, BEC_3489_2b2.
I uploaded the file from Adobe Bridge via drag and drop to the X3 Uploader. Same Problem uploading "by hand" from Windows Explorer.
:confused:
Any more suggestions?

Bernd

mjau-mjau:
Could you please send me the original image so I can test from here?

I think perhaps you might be mixing some technicalities. There is the X3 UPLOADER, which can resize images ON UPLOAD, directly from the browser. Then there is the X3 RESIZER, which resizes uploaded images to smaller versions. The "Copy ICC profile" setting ONLY applies for the X3 resizer, because it's done on server (PHP) ... This function does not affect the upload-resizer you are referring to, which strictly runs from the browser. So assuming we are speaking of the original large size uploaded images? Yes, I can see there is a difference ... This should not happen if indeed the source is sRGB.

I did a quick test from here. I downloaded your file BEC_3489_2b.jpeg, which I assume is the original with color profile? I then uploaded it from the X3 panel, first with resize ON (2560), and then with resize OFF (original 2730). The resulting uploads have identical colors, which doesn't match your results. Keep in mind, the upload-resizer could be affected by your browser.

Original upload (resize off)

Upload resizer ON (2560). Colors are identical.

I can check with your original if you can send to me. It' unclear with all these images and the fact that "Copy ICC color profile" option does not affect the uploaded original images (even when it goes through the upload-resizer from browser). I'm pretty sure there is some more to the story, especially since it worked here. The upload-resizer wouldn't change colors, at least if the original image is in sRGB format.
Attachments
BEC_3489_2b2.jpg
BEC_3489_2b2.jpg (670.43 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Jul 2020, 22:45

All I can say is that I can't re-create this issue from here, and everything is working as expected. Are you sure all the images you uploaded were in the SAME color space originally? The upload resizer will never change the colors of an image that is already in sRGB. Here are my tests, working as expected, and I would be shocked to see anything else to be honest (since the source is in sRGB).

Here is the original image uploaded with resizer OFF. It's identical to the image you gave me of course:

Here is the same image uploaded in X3 with resizer ON (2560 px).

To emphasize that they are same color, I put them in the X3 comparison plugin:

I could test directly on your website, but there is no reason to expect the result to be different as the upload-resizer is not a server mechanism, but done in browser. If I cannot recreate the issue, it's hard for me to give an exact answer. However, at this point, I can only conclude one of the following:
  • Somehow, for some reason, you have uploaded a NON-sRGB image in your tests. In this case, depending on several factors (browser, profile, screen, uploader), it may very well be that colors changed.
  • The only other option, is that your browser is for some reason changing the colors on resize (it's the browser that actually resized the images on upload-resize). How else would it work here and not for you? I have never heard of this though, as long as the source is sRGB.
Some browser plugin? Unlikely, but gotta eliminate. You can definitely narrow the issue down to TWO cases 1) WITHOUT upload-resizer enabled and 2) WITH upload-resizer enabled. In my case, I have tried both, and the images are the same.

For the sake of being exact, I also compared my results to the first two images on your website. Indeed, as you stated, the first image BEC 3489 2a is clearly very pale. The second image, as you have stated, is OK. The image uploaded from here in X3 resizer has identical colors as your correct image:

Your correct image, without resizer:

My uploaded image, with resizer 2560 px:

That must mean 100% that either #A The source you have provided is not the same color profile as the original source you used in all your tests, or #B Your browser changes colors of the image when resizing, but not mine.

Bernd
Topic Author

18 Jul 2020, 11:55

Hi,
thanks a lot for your reply. 
I think, I have the solution of the riddle. But it was a little hard to find.
I´ve uploaded all images with sRGB and tried all configurations even to upload without colour profile embedded, just to see what will happen. But I did it all in Firefox. So I kept thinking about your hint with the browser.
In older Firefox browser versions sRGB pictures looked to saturated on a wide gamut monitor. As I wanted to see the colours correctly as sRGB some time ago I changed the config settings in firefox. In “about:config”, look for the gfx.color_management.mode and change preseted value from “2” to “1” and change the “gfx.color_management.enablev4“ from the preset “false” to “true”. These settings were tranfered into the new versions of firefox when they were updated.
I´m not quite sure. But I think this has something to do with the problem. In fact the new image uploads are displayed with correct  sRGB colour.  But I don´t trust the firefox colour management. I´ll keep you informed.
Using Chrome as browser there is no problem.  :relaxed:

Best
Bernd

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Jul 2020, 21:04

Bernd wrote:I´m not quite sure. But I think this has something to do with the problem. In fact the new image uploads are displayed with correct  sRGB colour.  But I don´t trust the firefox colour management. I´ll keep you informed.
Using Chrome as browser there is no problem.  :relaxed:
That sounds like a logical explanation, because the X3 upload-resizer uses the browser to resize the image (before it gets uploaded), and colors will be interpreted from the browser. If an image does not get resized, the uploaded image will remain unaffected from the source of course. I noticed myself that Firefox often displays colors differently (more saturated) than Chrome/Safari, also CSS colors (not only images). I did some search on google, and there is lots of related info, but it's not entirely clear. I would assume the answer in this post could be related:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... us-firefox