X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

AJF
Topic Author

Blog capabilities

17 Apr 2020, 09:00

For the last month I have tried my new blog with X3:

http://www.fotojell.de/blog-andreas-jell/

So far so good. But I think about to go back to joomla with the blog (not with the webseite and gallery). I miss some essential things in X3 for a blog.

1) On a phone there is no 'prev' or 'next' at the botton of the artice. On Desktop there is - but a little hard to find.
2) A list for the newest 10 or 5 articles like here (on my old joomla blog): http://www.fotojell.de/blog/

This 2 points are essential to make visitors more curiuos for reading more.

3) Grouping articles with tags. I think that tags would be interesting for pure photo folders, too.

Yes, X3 is a photo gallery. But every photographer should have something to tell. And word content is the best way to get a better ranking on google. I like to tell good stories with appropriating photo. I really won't go back to joomla for blog because photo capabilities of X3 are so much better. And the blog is looking good in X3.

For 1) and 2), is any possibility to do that on X3?

Thanks,
Andreas

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Blog capabilities

18 Apr 2020, 10:24

AJF wrote: For the last month I have tried my new blog with X3:

http://www.fotojell.de/blog-andreas-jell/
Good! Personally, if I was viewing your website as a blog, I would find it hard to navigate because the blog elements are too large (almost cover my entire 13" screen), and the columns layout doesn't make the order of the blog items intuitive. The images could be the same size and aspect (symmetric), because they are just teaser-images for blog previews that you want the visitor to click.

My personal blog layout favorite is a simple vertical split like in the link below. Simple and intuitive, and images are aligned with texts.
https://mjau-mjau.com/blog/
AJF wrote:So far so good. But I think about to go back to joomla with the blog (not with the webseite and gallery). I miss some essential things in X3 for a blog.
X3 will never have the same capabilities as a robust blog platform like Joomla or Wordpress. X3 is practical because it can list PAGES as child-pages of another page, in a variety of layout combinations. It cannot however criss-cross with categories, tags or search, and it probably never will.
AJF wrote:1) On a phone there is no 'prev' or 'next' at the botton of the artice. On Desktop there is - but a little hard to find.
This could easily be a feature/plugin in X3. It's been requested earlier also. Same behavior as the small prev/next pagenav buttons, but much larger, and with preview images.
AJF wrote:2) A list for the newest 10 or 5 articles like here (on my old joomla blog): http://www.fotojell.de/blog/
You mean the menu on the right? This is not in the scope of X3 currently, but I might consider it in the future.

In my opinion, this layout is not practical. You have the same articles LARGE on the left, and the same articles SMALL on the right. What is the visitor supposed to do? Scroll down? Or click items on right? Why would I choose one instead of the other. Slightly confusing, and to me, this is "clutter". One clean scrollable layout listing all items, perhaps a bit smaller than that, would be the easiest and prettiest.
AJF wrote:3) Grouping articles with tags. I think that tags would be interesting for pure photo folders, too.
I get that. I would have to say, it's unlikely page "tags" will ever find it's way into X3. That would require a database system, and an abstraction to pages as now they are in a folder structure, and that's how they relate to each other.

Image "tags" YES, but that is another story altogether.
AJF wrote:Yes, X3 is a photo gallery. But every photographer should have something to tell. And word content is the best way to get a better ranking on google. I like to tell good stories with appropriating photo. I really won't go back to joomla for blog because photo capabilities of X3 are so much better. And the blog is looking good in X3.
Understood. We will have to see what the future brings, but this is not top priority.
AJF wrote:For 1) and 2), is any possibility to do that on X3?
1 YES, 2 probably not ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Blog capabilities

23 Jun 2020, 10:30

AJF wrote:1) On a phone there is no 'prev' or 'next' at the botton of the artice. On Desktop there is - but a little hard to find.
For this feature, check latest release X3.29.0:
photo.gallery/blog/x3-29-image-resizer-and-more/
mjau-mjau wrote:Pagenav
Many improvements to the "pagenav" plugin / buttons (see demo) on sides of screen that allow navigating between sibling pages. This plugin was earlier reserved only for desktop devices that supported mouse hover. Now, pagenav buttons will display at bottom of screen for devices that don't support mouse hover (most touch / mobile devices).
  • Pagenav buttons now work on mobile / touch devices.
  • Pagenav buttons re-designed and re-coded.
  • Pagenav buttons now use page LABEL (if set) instead of folder name.
  • Pagenav buttons display page TITLE (if set) on mouse hover.
  • New Settings > Plugins > Pagenav > Position: Fixed / Fixed + Bottom / Bottom. 
  • New Settings > Plugins > Pagenav > Fixed position autohide.