Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

spawn256
Topic Author

Video Support Gallery

02 Dec 2019, 16:32

hi will there be any video support in X3 ?  
It would be nice to create a separate video gallery for own mp4 videos.

Please advise if that will ever be considered?

Thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Video Support Gallery

02 Dec 2019, 22:55

Hi!

There is already basic video support in X3. You can simply upload MP4 videos, and they will load and display separately in the page.
  • The reason we cannot display videos directly mixed into a gallery of images, is because X3 cannot automatically create preview-images from videos. This requires a specific server-extension. Therefore, videos will display embedded in the page, separate from any image gallery (you might have on the same page).
  • Another thing to keep in mind, is that your host might have a 2MB upload limit (from http), which prevents you from uploading larger video files than 2MB. If you cannot change this limitation (on server), you would have to upload larger video files via FTP (because X3 cannot bypass your server limitation).
We are definitely interested in improving video support in X3, but as you may understand, there are some challenges. X3 already has basic video support ... Did you try to simply upload mp4 video to any gallery?

spawn256
Topic Author

11 Dec 2019, 12:12

Hi thank you i did not know about video support and i will try to change file limit on server and see if i can upload it...
I use iPhone i wonder if video straight from iphone is supported or needs to be converted :(

is there a Companion Mobile app in plans? to avoid all the http limitations?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Dec 2019, 21:32

spawn256 wrote:Hi thank you i did not know about video support and i will try to change file limit on server and see if i can upload it...
Did you check what your current limitation is set at?
spawn256 wrote:I use iPhone i wonder if video straight from iphone is supported or needs to be converted :(
I believe no conversion is required. iPhone shoots in MP4 format and should be compatible with all modern browsers.
spawn256 wrote:is there a Companion Mobile app in plans? to avoid all the http limitations?
Sorry, no. Although this could be considered, we would still need to bypass upload limitation, unless we add FTP support into the app.

spawn256
Topic Author

13 Dec 2019, 19:59

ok i tested directly from iphone photo library..

Unfortunately its not compatible even though i think its mp4

so i can not upload straight from iphone :(

i am forced to do tedious transfer from mobile device then convert then upload to website..

is there a specific coder settings you recommend for Website video playback compatibility ?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Dec 2019, 22:42

Hi. After your reponse, I did some tests and found out the following:
  • Iphone stores video as MOV format (not mp4).
  • Although the video is MOV format, it uses the same video-codec "H.264" as the MP4 format. MOV is just the "wrapper" extension.
  • I have tested that MOV video format from iPhone successfully plays in browsers (at least on Mac), without any conversion required.
However, for this to work in X3, I need to do a few tests and add some fixes:
  1. Test if MOV format works in Windows browsers (at least modern browsers).
  2. Add MOV format to allowed uploads from the panel.
  3. Set MOV as a supported video format, so that X3 can add videos into the pages where they get uploaded.
I will look into this for next X3 release coming soon.

spawn256
Topic Author

14 Dec 2019, 21:40

Thank so much for looking into that ...

Have a great Holidays

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Mar 2020, 09:40

New release X3.28.0 now supports additional video formats webm, ogv, m4v and mov (quicktime). It's important to note however, if you want your videos to work in all browsers, you should stick to the mp4 format (or m4v, which is a variation of mp4). As for the mov format (Apple quicktime), it is only supported by Safari and iOS devices.

More about video formats and browser compatibility:
caniuse.com/#search=video format

Read about latest release:
www.photo.gallery/blog/photo-gallery-x3-28/