X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

Slideshow AND gallery on the same page

25 Jan 2019, 11:59

Hi Karl,

Can you consider adding the possibility to have on the same page a Slideshow and a Gallery (as 2 different elements) ?
(I'm not talking about the page intro or the slideshow intro)

1/ Actually, we can have a slideshow with small thumbs. But there's no control on the thumbs (size, etc...)

https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/gallery/slideshow/

2/Or we can have a single image on a page with a gallery

https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/features/post/
190125-0005.jpg
190125-0005.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 11012 times
But we can't have both.

I would like to be able to show a slideshow (with images from a different gallery or not) AND a gallery on the same page.

Thanks

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Slideshow AND gallery on the same page

26 Jan 2019, 04:43

MikeR wrote:Can you consider adding the possibility to have on the same page a Slideshow and a Gallery (as 2 different elements) ?
Just to be clear, slideshow is in fact a gallery, only with it's layout set to slideshow. Therefore, when you are asking for "slideshow AND gallery", that would be the same as asking for TWO (or more) independent galleries to display on the same page. In which case, at least one of the galleries would have to load it's images from a separate folder (I assume you don't want the SAME images to display in the slideshow and gallery?). This of course means that you would need settings to assign "one or more galleries" to a single page, and then have settings for each virtual "gallery" as to where they would load their images.

I can see how this could be interesting, but currently it simply isn't possible to include multiple galleries from different sources into a single page.
MikeR wrote:1/ Actually, we can have a slideshow with small thumbs. But there's no control on the thumbs (size, etc...)

https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/gallery/slideshow/
That is a single slideshow gallery with thumbs. I am not sure how you would expect it to work with "bigger" or "custom" thumbs ... That would essentially work how normal gallery grids work today ... Custom grid sized layout, which when clicked, opens the images in an optimal POPUP.
MikeR wrote:2/Or we can have a single image on a page with a gallery

https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/features/post/

But we can't have both.
I'm not sure if this is related to the request, but on this link you will see the context PREVIEW IMAGE, which CAN be assigned to ALSO show in addition to a page's gallery. As you can see on that page, there is the preview image, and then the gallery layout further down on the page.

stefaniakm

14 Feb 2019, 05:50

Actually it's a quite a good idea.   I really like "justified" layout. It's very well presenting all the photos on page, and is perfect to show many photos, even on smaller screens.

But I really miss the fancy "slideshow" option from the flash version of imagevue gallery. 

Maybe it would be good idea to include option of slideshow  in pop up window opened after clicking photo in gallery.  There could be added "play" button that would trigger automatic slideshow.   Exactly as it was done in flash version of imageveux gallery.

http://www.michalstefaniak.com/philippi ... ent/coron/

The user would be autmatically attracted with next photo, and will not be forced to click "next" arrow.

Additionally there could be placed under photo small 5 thumbs back and 5 thumbs ahead - so the user could jump to more intersting for him photo within next few.  

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Feb 2019, 01:18

stefaniakm wrote:But I really miss the fancy "slideshow" option from the flash version of imagevue gallery.
Yes. You still have the X3 slideshow option with autoplay of course. The reason this worked so well in X2 (Flash), was because the stage was without scroll, and we could center the slideshow on stage. This is less practical in modern html5 websites (X3), which must support mobile devices, and where scroll is required for much of the functionality.

Therefore, slideshow-type functionality is now best achieved in "popup" mechanisms, where we can block the scroll and utilize the entire stage on a separate layer. For example the X3 popup module:
https://demo.photo.gallery/examples/gallery/auto-popup/

On a related note, although the X2 slideshow was "neat", it is less functional than the X3 popup, which displays images faster, and at "best size", regardless of the screen size they are being viewed from.
stefaniakm wrote:Maybe it would be good idea to include option of slideshow  in pop up window opened after clicking photo in gallery.  There could be added "play" button that would trigger automatic slideshow. Exactly as it was done in flash version of imageveux gallery.
Yes, I agree this could be an option. I will look into it.

I would have to note that most visitors will want to navigate images at their own pace. After all, it is really easy to navigate when keyboard, mouse or swipe. Personally, if I encounter an autoplaying slideshow, the first thing I will do is look for the STOP function so I can navigate myself.
stefaniakm wrote:http://www.michalstefaniak.com/philippi ... ent/coron/

The user would be automatically attracted with next photo, and will not be forced to click "next" arrow.
As mentioned, it could be an option. Personally, when I click the link above, I don't want to "wait" until next slide appears, or often, if I find an image of interest, the slideshow is going to next image before I am finished viewing. For me, this is not intuitive.
stefaniakm wrote:Additionally there could be placed under photo small 5 thumbs back and 5 thumbs ahead - so the user could jump to more intersting for him photo within next few.
Also interesting, but in my experienced opinion, it simply isn't used. The small thumbs are too small to give any good impression about the image, and a modern user will simply click through images, as it's faster and more effective even when just "previewing". This is why thumbnails are not used in facebook (etc) slideshows for instance. Also, we need to consider how this will affect the UI across all devices (more clutter).

I agree it's good to have some options :) I won't always agree that all options are useful.

Thanks for all the feedback!

stefaniakm

18 Feb 2019, 05:07

stefaniakm wrote:stefaniakm:Maybe it would be good idea to include option of slideshow  in pop up window opened after clicking photo in gallery.  There could be added "play" button that would trigger automatic slideshow. Exactly as it was done in flash version of imageveux gallery.
mjau-mjau:
Yes, I agree this could be an option. I will look into it.
Thanks for detailed clarification of your point of view.   I was proposing something I treat as "nice" from my experience with previous - flash version of the photo gallery.  Of course, I do not have such vast experience, on which functions are more or less demanded by your customers, but after I had the short possibility to work with you on my project I fully trust you with regard to future improvments of the gallery. 
If play button will appear in future updates, it will be just another "nice" option from hunderds great ideas already ready to set.

mjau-mjau:
I would have to note that most visitors will want to navigate images at their own pace. After all, it is really easy to navigate when keyboard, mouse or swipe. Personally, if I encounter an autoplaying slideshow, the first thing I will do is look for the STOP function so I can navigate myself.
I used it, someone mentioned it here,  therefore I support the idea :)  

mjau-mjau:
I agree it's good to have some options :) I won't always agree that all options are useful.
You are absolutely right  :)

I keep my fingers crossed for further development and success of your great project !

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

04 Jan 2021, 05:37

stefaniakm wrote:Maybe it would be good idea to include option of slideshow  in pop up window opened after clicking photo in gallery.  There could be added "play" button that would trigger automatic slideshow.   Exactly as it was done in flash version of imageveux gallery.
Back-tracking a few old requests, popup slideshow play-button (autoplay) was added in X3.30.0 / forum
photo.gallery/blog/photo-gallery-x3-30-popup/