Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

Sidebar WITH child pages but WITHOUT scrollbar?

29 Jul 2018, 12:51

Hi,

I really like the sidebar lay-out in X3. The only thing i don't like about using it is that it can cause an ugly scrollbar between menu and content. A simple solution would be using the sidebar on the right instead of left but then there are two scrollbars next to each other. Also not preferable...

Another solution is keeping the menu as small as possible and edit the footer to give more space to the menu. Something I do for now.

My wish would be...using the sidebar with child pages without the chance of creating a scrollbar. The only thing is, how??? Maybe by putting the child pages next to item instead of underneath the item??

Anyway...this is my call to everybody who likes the sidebar to bring ideas for making this menu even better/nicer and mainly without ugly scrollbars ;-)

Greetz Erik

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Sidebar WITH child pages but WITHOUT scrollbar?

29 Jul 2018, 13:00

Another nice add-on feature would be the option to show child pages from MOBILE and hide child pages from the standard menu. I prefer this option because on your mobile i think showing the child pages gives a better overview over the content of your website. On a desktop/laptop you can give it a different approach.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Sidebar WITH child pages but WITHOUT scrollbar?

30 Jul 2018, 01:49

elpd wrote:I really like the sidebar lay-out in X3. The only thing i don't like about using it is that it can cause an ugly scrollbar between menu and content. A simple solution would be using the sidebar on the right instead of left but then there are two scrollbars next to each other. Also not preferable...
You are right in your observations, and unfortunately we cannot intervene much with native browser scrollbars, as they must be available to the visitor when required for best functionality. Also, from a link you shared earlier, I am guessing you are using Windows/Firefox? This is the OS/browser that has the LEAST attractive scrollbar implementation, because Firefox doesn't have any methods of intervention. Try the following browsers:

Internet Explorer / Edge  :thumbsup:
You will find that the menu scrollbars appear/disappear on demand by using a special "-ms-autohiding-scrollbar" setting. Very acceptable.

Webkit browsers (Chrome, Safari, Opera). :thumbsup:
Since webkit browsers allow visual scrollbar modification, the X3 menu scrollbars are subtly styled in these browsers to compliment the X3 design. Keep in mind, X3 will never attempt to style the visitors main right-hand page-scrollbar.

Mac (ALL browsers) :thumbsup:
No styling on Mac browsers required because A) By default, scrollbars appear “on-demand” and B) Scrollbars are already subtly styled by the OS and consistent across all browsers, even when not set to appear on-demand.

Mobile devices :thumbsup:
Similar to mac, and only have subtle, non-interfering scrollbars that might appear on while actually scrolling.

Firefox/Windows :smiling_imp:
Sorry, basically the only browser/OS combo where we have no available options for the scrollbar.
elpd wrote:My wish would be...using the sidebar with child pages without the chance of creating a scrollbar. The only thing is, how??? Maybe by putting the child pages next to item instead of underneath the item??
One could say that another sidemenu design, where for example submenus pops out on the right side (on HOVER), might have a less chance of creating scrollbars. However, depending on the menu length and the screen size, there is always chance of a scrollbar appearing of course. In this case, such a menu would be less functional if scroll is required, and this has disadvantages on touch devices (large ones also). Might consider such a menu in the future, but that is a different topic, and not really a "solution".

Considering my points above, and that Win-Firefox is a worst-case-scenario in regards to scrollbars, my opinion is that this is something you simply need to accept. In most cases, you will be able to avoid the scrollbar from displaying, but in the cases where it is required, it is most user-friendly to then give the visitor what they expect from their browser.