Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

hardliner
Experienced
Topic Author

Login redirect to allowed Gallery

26 Mar 2018, 05:40

The Issue to make userfriendly access to various  Password protected Galleries.

Not all User have the Understand and know how to access. I make Wedding Shooting and i give the Access to the Gallery and for all the Guests.
The Solution what i mean is. I have one Login aon my Website. But various User Accounts. Than its possible when the User logged in automatic was redirected to the allowed Gallery without see the another password protected Galleries?

The mapping was set in the User  Settings. That was very helpfully to make a redirect directly to the Path or to the selectable Galleries with a checkbox.

I hope i can explain the Feature Request.

Best Regards
Hardliner

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Login redirect to allowed Gallery

26 Mar 2018, 09:39

hardliner wrote:The Issue to make userfriendly access to various  Password protected Galleries.

Not all User have the Understand and know how to access. I make Wedding Shooting and i give the Access to the Gallery and for all the Guests.
The Solution what i mean is. I have one Login aon my Website. But various User Accounts. Than its possible when the User logged in automatic was redirected to the allowed Gallery without see the another password protected Galleries?

The mapping was set in the User  Settings. That was very helpfully to make a redirect directly to the Path or to the selectable Galleries with a checkbox.

I hope i can explain the Feature Request.
I understand what you are trying to achieve here. The problem is, a "USER" is not restricted to a single page, but could have access to multiple locations. That is really the entire point of "users" instead of just setting a page-password. I guess I could try to figure out some solution.

But I am curious: If you want the visitor to login to a SPECIFIC area(page), can't you just send them the EXACT link to the page where you want them to login to their private area?

hardliner
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Mar 2018, 08:23

If you want the visitor to login to a SPECIFIC area(page), can't you just send them the EXACT link to the page where you want them to login to their private area?
Hi Karl,

that was possible, but the visitor can not find the E-Mail with Link or another Problems. I explain this.

The Wedding Couple have full Access to all Pictures of their Wedding.  (GettinReady, Ceremony in the Church, Wedding Shooting and the Celebration)
But the Guests from Wedding Celebration become access to Ceremony in the Church and Celebration. In this Point i can not give access the guests without to see the another Category. They hav not Access to the Gallery but in this point is better the visitors not at all can see the Galleries. And specially copy the Gallery in another Directory make more duplicate Versions. The Better Way is in one Point present the picture.

Best Regards
Hardliner

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Mar 2018, 09:26

hardliner wrote:The Wedding Couple have full Access to all Pictures of their Wedding.  (GettinReady, Ceremony in the Church, Wedding Shooting and the Celebration)
But the Guests from Wedding Celebration become access to Ceremony in the Church and Celebration. In this Point i can not give access the guests without to see the another Category. They hav not Access to the Gallery but in this point is better the visitors not at all can see the Galleries. And specially copy the Gallery in another Directory make more duplicate Versions. The Better Way is in one Point present the picture.
Unfortunately, I can't understand your description of the example above, or what it has to do with a login redirecting specifically to a page. There are many ways to setup passwords, simple and advanced, that should suite any conditions.

I do however understand your main request. But just to be clear, that would require the following:
  • Where would you create the LOGIN page? What would be the link? Since you want a login to redirect ALL USERS to an assigned folder, then obviously the login page would have to be a GENERIC login, not set from PROTECT. The long page itself would always REDIRECT.
  • You would NOT be able to assign users to have access to multiple folders. If you have a user "MYUSER", with granted access to TWO directories "/galleries1/" and "/galleries2", how would the login mechanism know what page to redirect to?
Although I understand your request, it's really a different feature than current users/protect, which is a flexible way to protect directories and have "users" with access to multiple folders. Also, what you suggest would require a separate "LOGIN" page, which itself would never load, but would redirect to a users assigned path after successful login.

hardliner
Experienced
Topic Author

30 Mar 2018, 05:44

Hello Karl,

On the homepage a link would be declared as a login. When the user logs in with their user, their access rights will redirect to a dynamically created page that shows all the galleries / directories they have access to.

In the user master record the directories are checked, which he should have access to.
When a folder is checked in the directory structure, the permission is passed down to the directories below

I hope it little more clear.

Best Regards
Danjel Rojka

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

30 Mar 2018, 06:43

hardliner wrote:On the homepage a link would be declared as a login. When the user logs in with their user, their access rights will redirect to a dynamically created page that shows all the galleries / directories they have access to.
I hear you. Of course, this feature goes way beyond X3 being just a "website". Dynamic virtual pages, not based on folders (like all other X3 pages). Non-cacheable? We would need to be able to create /USER/ page for EVERY user. Hopefully they don't use the same username.

This "login" feature would have to be a SEPARATE feature from the current password (protect) mechanism, which is designed to protect a folder (and subfolders), by user or simple username/password. In your request, we need to build a unique login-mechanism, and load a virtual user PAGE, populated with pages the user has access to.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea at all. It's probably a GOOD IDEA. A big task nevertheless.
hardliner wrote:On the homepage a link would be declared as a login.
This part would have to be quite a bit more refined. It would have to be a FULL login-form, created specifically for logging in to a virtual user-section. I don't see how it could be just a "link", unless the link opens a popup with a login form. A FORM it has to be no matter what. If link, where would the link point?

We can't link it like current logins, which go to ACTUAL pages, and therefore trigger a login prompt IF they are protected.
hardliner wrote:When a folder is checked in the directory structure, the permission is passed down to the directories below
This is already how permissions work.