Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

didier
Topic Author

Rotate images directly from the panel

26 Apr 2017, 05:46

Hi, i have read the the posts about this topic on the Forum, but the explanations and the solutions are not smart, they needs strong attention and consume time. I really appreciate to have the possibility for each image in the gallery to rotate Clockwise and Counterclockwise, 90° and 180°.

Thanks for your attention and your great app

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Rotate images directly from the panel

26 Apr 2017, 11:30

The problem with PHP JPG rotation, is that it is NOT a lossless operation. That means that an already-compressed JPG file that you uploaded, will need to be re-compressed as JPG after it's rotated. Your images will suffer from quality degradation (double JPG compression), and I really don't like the idea of that, and I think website-owners should avoid this at all cost ... especially since X3 is for photographs, where you want to maintain optimal quality for all images.

Neither PHP GD or Imagemagick supports lossless rotation.
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25303
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-se ... php?t=5899

Therefore, regardless of what you think about our previous explanations, I am not quite sure what you suggest we do. We can add an online rotate button, but each time you click rotate, the visual quality of your image will degrade. Is this acceptable to you? It is simply not something we will recommend to most users, who are photographers.

There is no other self-hosted website application that can rotate images without quality degradation. You can do it in Flickr, Picasa and other image-hosting services, simply because they have their own servers and can use programs that manage to rotate without degrading image quality.

Yes, we will look into adding a rotate button in the X3 panel. But no, we will not recommend it to be used. In fact, we will have to place a red warning with the controls, to alert the user that rotating an image will lead to quality degradation.

I am curious at this day and age though, how come your images are not already rotated correctly? All modern devices and cameras should rotate the image according to how the photo was taken. The only cases I hear about with images not rotated, is for some old Android devices, which store the rotation in EXIF instead of actually rotating the image correctly. There is already an auto-rotation-corrector option when you upload images from X3, but it has to be done in the "upload process", since then you will avoid double JPG-compression as the rotation and resize is handled in a single process.

We are more than willing to find better solutions, but unless you have any helpful suggestions, we are not magicians.

didier
Topic Author

27 Apr 2017, 08:24

Thanks for your clear technical explanations. I know you are making all your best efforts to deliver one of the great software, focusing for quality Photographers portfolios, but i imagine not only...
In my case i make photos for customers and my pleasure since more than 25 years.
I have  thousands of archive images I want to presents. Most of them have bad (or not) exif.
The most annoying problem is when photographs are saved in the wrong direction. The problem began when you took the picture. After all, you don't hold your smartphone or digital camera the same way for each picture.
If you're taking a photo of city's skyline, you might turn it so it's in landscape, to capture as much of the skyline as possible. If you're taking an up-close shot of a baby, you might orient the camera to portrait. Everyone does that...
I understand the technical target and difficulties : The best pictures quality
I agree and thanks with your decision to add in the futur, a rotate button in the X3 panel and understand you will not recommend it to be used. "we will have to place a red warning with the controls, to alert the user that rotating an image will lead to quality degradation."
Thanks to listen the user voice

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Apr 2017, 10:11

didier wrote:I agree and thanks with your decision to add in the futur, a rotate button in the X3 panel and understand you will not recommend it to be used. "we will have to place a red warning with the controls, to alert the user that rotating an image will lead to quality degradation."
We will definitely look into a rotate-image feature. The operation itself is quite simple ... Also, the impact of quality degradation might not be that bad, but I need to study it properly and make some tests.
didier wrote:The most annoying problem is when photographs are saved in the wrong direction. The problem began when you took the picture. After all, you don't hold your smartphone or digital camera the same way for each picture.
If you're taking a photo of city's skyline, you might turn it so it's in landscape, to capture as much of the skyline as possible. If you're taking an up-close shot of a baby, you might orient the camera to portrait. Everyone does that...
Just wanted to comment on this: Most cameras (mobile and pro cameras), will normally always rotate the image correctly depending on how the device was held when the photo was taken. If you hold a camera to take a "portrait" shot, then the camera knows this, and will rotate the image appropriately when saving it to the memory. That's why I don't hear about many users who request a rotate-feature these days. I am curious about what camera your photos are taken from?

pueblo23

16 Jul 2017, 21:14

hello, i am curious about picture rotation as well. i have uploaded tens of photos from single source, iphone 6s and lots of photos are badly oriented altough i have checked the autosize tool before upload...

imgur pic

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Jul 2017, 07:52

pueblo23 wrote:hello, i am curious about picture rotation as well. i have uploaded tens of photos from single source, iphone 6s and lots of photos are badly oriented altough i have checked the autosize tool before upload...
Never heard about iphone with incorrectly rotated images, unless you have disabled this feature from settings somehow. iPhones save the image physically rotated relative to the orientation it was taken. Do you have a direct link to an image uploaded taken from iphone? Sounds like it was physically rotated incorrectly somehow (there could be many reasons for that).

You can read my in-depth post replies about incorrectly rotated images, and why it's not a good idea to rotate them after they are uploaded:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... ate#p41888

But YES, it seems we will have to add a rotate feature, although we don't recommend using it.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Nov 2017, 11:04

All questions in this post are effectively resolved in new release X3.24.0.
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9445
  • Automatic image-orientation (on upload resize) is now fixed and enabled by default.
  • New fallback option to automatically fix image orientation by server after upload (instead of on upload).
  • Auto image orientation options available from panel settings > panel.
X3 Panel wrote:Auto Image Orientation
Although most cameras rotate images to the correct orientation as they are taken, some cameras and smartphones do not. Instead, they store the image orientation as a value in the image's EXIF meta data. While desktop applications and cameras are capable of reading this data and displaying the images in correct orientation, web browsers unfortunately are not. Therefore, images that are not physically rotated to the correct orientation, should be corrected on upload.

resizer
The most effective option, is to allow the uploader image resizer to auto-correct orientation before uploading the image. The advantage is that there is no loss of quality while rotating the image, as it is handled in the same process that resizes the image.

* This method requires the resizer to be ENABLED
* Since the upload resizer is browser-based, it cannot write the corrected EXIF value back to the image. This is mostly harmless, as images will display correctly in the website, but if someone downloads the image, the EXIF orientation value will be incorrect.

server
This option will auto-correct image orientation on server after upload, and will also set the correct EXIF rotation meta tag in the image.

* This method involves re-compressing the JPG image as it is rotated on server, incurring a slight quality degradation on the image (mostly unnoticeable).
* This method requires that your server has sufficient memory available to rotate full size images. If this is not the case, you will get an error on upload.

no
No automatic image orientation will occur.

geektech

01 Apr 2018, 04:05

i´m missing the rotating function that was in x1 and x2 but not in x3 :( can we please have it back in the panel again on image editor.

geektech

01 Apr 2018, 04:14

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Apr 2018, 08:09

Did you just upload those photos? Or were they uploaded some time ago?

It shouldn't really be necessary with a "rotate" action, since this should be dealt with on UPLOAD. See Settings > Panel > Uploader > Auto Image orientation.
X3 Panel Help wrote:Auto Image Orientation
Although most cameras rotate images to the correct orientation as they are taken, some cameras and smartphones do not. Instead, they store the image orientation as a value in the image's EXIF meta data. While desktop applications and cameras are capable of reading this data and displaying the images in correct orientation, web browsers unfortunately are not. Therefore, images that are not physically rotated to the correct orientation, should be corrected on upload.

resizer
The most effective option, is to allow the uploader image resizer to auto-correct orientation before uploading the image. The advantage is that there is no loss of quality while rotating the image, as it is handled in the same process that resizes the image.

* This method requires the resizer to be ENABLED
* Since the upload resizer is browser-based, it cannot write the corrected EXIF value back to the image. This is mostly harmless, as images will display correctly in the website, but if someone downloads the image, the EXIF orientation value will be incorrect.

server
This option will auto-correct image orientation on server after upload, and will also set the correct EXIF rotation meta tag in the image.

* This method involves re-compressing the JPG image as it is rotated on server, incurring a slight quality degradation on the image (mostly unnoticeable).
* This method requires that your server has sufficient memory available to rotate full size images. If this is not the case, you will get an error on upload.

no
No automatic image orientation will occur.
Did you have this disabled on upload? If you could send me one of the images, I would be happy to diagnose it. There are a couple of reasons why your images might NOT have auto-rotated on upload, including 1) No "rotate" value stored in the image from the device that took the photo. 2) Image meta data (including rotation data) has been deleted at some point. 3) You did not "resize" images on upload. 4) Your server is missing the EXIF extension.

geektech

01 Apr 2018, 11:56

well i have tried that , but it seams it still does not work . 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Apr 2018, 12:02

Can you send me one of the images? I would like to diagnose. You can just paste a direct link to an image, or send in private message.

Could be that the image is simply incorrectly rotated, without rotation data stored in the image.

pokepix

20 Apr 2018, 03:35

Dear users,

I followed all the topics about image orientation with great interest.

I have some jpeg pictures with no Exif informations. These pictures are supposed to be landscapes. But the importation process rotates the pictures.

I tried all the options describe in the topics, but even with 'resize option uncheck', it still import the pictures in portrait orientation.

Any clue ?

Math

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Apr 2018, 04:16

I checked your images, and I can confirm the following:
  • Some of your images are incorrectly rotated [ref].
  • The same images DO have their rotation value stored as EXIF.
  • Having rotation values stored in EXIF will display images correctly on desktop applications, but does NOT work for images embedded in websites unfortunately, and therefore these images MUST be rotated ON or BEFORE upload.
  • These images have NOT been rotated by X3 in any way.
  • You SHOULD allow X3 to rotate incorrectly rotated images for you on upload (see options in my post above).