Search…

Kat
Experienced
Topic Author

Some requests-wishlist

07 Nov 2016, 16:54

Hi Karl,

My suggestion for the any next release :

-  collapsible panel plugin like this http://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/boot ... llapse.asp
-  Instagram widget/plugin,  like instafeed, to add on the sidebar, as a small thumbs,  in a page, or like a carrousel on the bottom of the page like this Image
with support  for hashtags, followers, or comments
-  the possibility to add another custom page content/context after gallery in  modules.
-  the choice for bottom pagination  when long galeries, into pages (already discussed)
-  sidebar menu  with subfolders : i wish that the dropdown close when clicking to another page where there is no child-pages like "contact".

That's all for now :sparkles:

Thank you anyway for your great work on X3 and your attention to the community

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Some requests-wishlist

07 Nov 2016, 23:23

Kat wrote:-  collapsible panel plugin
Will add soon likely next major release (not the one coming this week).
Kat wrote:Instagram widget/plugin,  like instafeed, to add on the sidebar, as a small thumbs,  in a page, or like a carrousel on the bottom of the page like this
Added to list.
Kat wrote:the possibility to add another custom page content/context after gallery in  modules.
Would be good, although would need to solve this without adding additional levels of complexity to the panel.
Kat wrote:the choice for bottom pagination  when long galeries, into pages (already discussed)
Will look into this. It can get complicated with all the different gallery layout methods, since "appending" new images to a layout would essentially require re-processing the layout for all images, and we need to select "split" sections based on when a grid ends it's "row".
Kat wrote:sidebar menu  with subfolders : i wish that the dropdown close when clicking to another page where there is no child-pages like "contact".
Will look into this.

Kat
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Nov 2016, 06:54

mjau-mjau wrote: Would be good, although would need to solve this without adding additional levels of complexity to the panel.
 What i tried achieve in the panel - did in firebug :

Just thinking... calling the  gallery module first in this way ?
for pagination would  look like this :
mjau-mjau wrote: Will look into this. It can get complicated with all the different gallery layout methods, since "appending" new images to a layout would essentially require re-processing the layout for all images, and we need to select "split" sections based on when a grid ends it's "row".
This is why, among others content,  i wanted add a context module after gallery and one can decide when to split they gallery. It would be the same principe as the top  Nav  which allows to navigate between pages.

Well sure you could arrive to a cleanest solution than mine !

mjau-mjau wrote:
kat wrote:sidebar menu  with subfolders : i wish that the dropdown close when clicking to another page where there is no child-pages like "contact".
Will look into this.
Thank you for that !

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Nov 2016, 01:57

Kat wrote:What i tried achieve in the panel - did in firebug :
Yup. That would of course require us to have multiple CONTEXT modules available to create/edit from the panel, which could easily get frustrating for any user (context1, context2, context3 etc?) . Furthermore, CONTEXT is not the same as CONTENT ... Content is the main custom content/html element INSIDE context, which also includes optional elements like title, description, date, images_amount, folders_amount etc. It makes sense to stack these items into the CONTEXT module, as in 99.99% of cases, you want these elements grouped together anyway ... You can set order if items within the context-module, from the context tab.

If anything, we would likely just add a setting to the gallery module [content after gallery], which would be a basic input field for any html.
Kat wrote:Just thinking... calling the  gallery module first in this way ?
Not sure about this ... You are aware that you can already SORT the order of elements in MODULES, so for example to call the gallery before context? Also, as mentioned, context is not the same as content so it's easier said than done to just imagine "injecting" the gallery module in the middle of "content".

Also, not sure why you would add html for pagination like that? If added, it will for sure be a programmatic feature with settings in the gallery module. Not sure what X3 should do with what you add to the html anyway. Amount of pages will depend on the device, layout and total amount.
Kat wrote:This is why, among others content,  i wanted add a context module after gallery and one can decide when to split they gallery.
How you gonna decide "when" to split the gallery? You want to see X for amount of images before pagination appears? Of course, that means you have no control if a gallery row will just stop in the middle of a row or not. Also, I am not sure what adding a context module AFTER gallery has to do with pagination. Even if context module is BEFORE the gallery, the pagination would always appear AFTER the gallery. Pagination would also NOT be set from your CONTENT ... How is that supposed to work? Pagination is a complex feature function, where the page links will need to be calculated and rendered based on the all the variables (max_amount, layout, device, total_amount) ... and the links obviously need advanced behavior to inject a new "batch" of images when they click a page.

Actually, I am strongly opposed to "pages", and I believe I expressed this view earlier. Why not use some infinite scroll method, or [Load More] button, both which simply APPEND more images below the current scroll point? This is how all top image services work (for example google, flickr, pinterest, instagram etc). Furthermore, what will a page-link in pagination link to? yourdomain.com/gallery/page2/ etc? No visitor and no SEO will have any benefits from that.
Kat wrote:It would be the same principe as the top  Nav  which allows to navigate between pages.
Not quite sure what you are referring to here in top nav, or how that would be similar to any page nav. You mean the carousel?

Anyway, thanks for feedback!

Kat
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Nov 2016, 05:56

mjau-mjau wrote:If anything, we would likely just add a setting to the gallery module [content after gallery], which would be a basic input field for any html.
Basically, it is what i was thinking about. For some custom content after gallery, like quotes, text, link...

mjau-mjau wrote:Not sure about this ... You are aware that you can already SORT the order of elements in MODULES, so for example to call the gallery before context? Also, as mentioned, context is not the same as content so it's easier said than done to just imagine "injecting" the gallery module in the middle of "content".
Yes, i know that. I was just testing a way to put context2 after gallery. If i do like you say, sorting  Modules >gallery>context,  i lose the description above gallery  because there is just one context module available.  But, obviously it's not the right way to do. I was a bit confused between context/content/modules. Thanks for this clarification.
mjau-mjau wrote:Pagination is a complex feature function, where the page links will need to be calculated and rendered based on the all the variables (max_amount, layout, device, total_amount) ... and the links obviously need advanced behavior to inject a new "batch" of images when they click a page.
Understand .
mjau-mjau wrote: Why not use some infinite scroll method, or [Load More] button, both which simply APPEND more images below the current scroll point?
Yes,  i saw that you proposed this solution on the forum to another person. It would be a great alternative if you could implement this option.
mjau-mjau wrote: This is how all top image services work (for example google, flickr, pinterest, instagram etc
Well, i see a bottom pagination on Flickr and Google. Not on instagram, it's like an infinite flow. I  need adapt to X3 and modern layout. With X2 we had this pagination system.
mjau-mjau wrote:Not quite sure what you are referring to here in top nav, or how that would be similar to any page nav. You mean the carousel?
nav pagination between siblings pages.

Thanks again for your time,