X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

Information message

03 Jun 2016, 05:09

Hi Karl,

I'm interested by a functionality I hope you'll be able to add.

Is it possible to have an automatic message (with text and an small image) when a visitor comes to the website (homepage) ?

The goal is to inform about new exhibition, new photos, new event...

I don't know if you're agree with the idea and if it's easy to implement.

I don't know which solution : pop-up, ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Information message

03 Jun 2016, 05:15

A global "announcement" plugin is a good idea, and would not be too hard to implement. I will add to list, and will look into it for next major update likely within a couple of months (after we launch new imagevuex website). There are many feasible ways to display a global notification: popup/modal box, or a dismissible notification at top/bottom screen, possibly as plugin options. Let me know if you have further suggestions ...

MikeR
Experienced
Topic Author

03 Jun 2016, 05:20

great !!

I don't have any experience about which kind of information message is better but I have no doubt the solution will be good :D

davidlehner

03 Jun 2016, 16:21

It would be great if we can to choose the message position and size. Banner on the top, block in the center or LT, LB, RT, RB

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

04 Jun 2016, 07:06

davidlehner wrote:It would be great if we can to choose the message position and size. Banner on the top, block in the center or LT, LB, RT, RB
TOP or BOTTOM at full width, yes ... I'm having problems envisioning announcements in corners though, and can't see how that would be functional or useful. It's important to keep settings at a minimum, and focus on a well-planned, well-designed implementation.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Sep 2016, 01:20

For reference, since X3 release [0.19], you can use the new modal plugin to display an announcement on page-load. View the modal plugin in action from the demo sample page (scroll down to "modal plugin").

To use the modal-plugin as a global announcement, you would generally add the following code to main settings -> footer:
Code
<div id="myModal" class="reveal-modal" data-reveal data-reveal-open aria-hidden="true" role="dialog">
<a class="close-reveal-modal" aria-label="Close"><i class="fa fa-close"></i></a>
<h2>TITLE</h2>
<p>Add your modal content here. Any HTML is supported.</p>
</div>
They key attribute here is data-reveal-open, which tells the alert-box to immediately open on page-load. Optionally, you could instead use data-reveal-open-once, which will do the same, but the visitors browser will remember if the modal was opened and make sure it never displays again.

andreamarucci
Experienced

23 Sep 2016, 08:58

Wow! Beautiful tip! That way I can notice all my users about the latest Gallery news. Thank you!!!

andreamarucci
Experienced

26 Sep 2016, 06:44

Karl, once I've changed the code to display something other, how can I reset the cookie so that when I change the notice it appear again?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

26 Sep 2016, 11:33

andreamarucci wrote:Karl, once I've changed the code to display something other, how can I reset the cookie so that when I change the notice it appear again?
Give the modal a new ID:
Code
id="myModal2"
Just increment the ID each time you want a fresh modal. Modals opened are stored in visitors browser per ID.

andreamarucci
Experienced

27 Sep 2016, 09:28

Fantastic! Thanks!