X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

_hidden _files

15 May 2016, 11:56

Hidden files and folders with _underscores
Previous, all files with _underscore were hidden from the gallery. This was not really a good thing, because many users have valid image file names that start with _underscore. Therefore, image names starting with _underscore (for example _file.jpg) are no longer hidden. Instead, files with DOUBLE __underscore are hidden (for example __file.jpg).

- Images are no longer hidden with single _underscore.
- Images are now hidden with double __underscore, for example __filename.jpg.
- Hidden __images can be used as preview images, or for plugins.
- Folders/pages are still hidden with single _underscore, for example /_pagename/.
- * Users upgrading will need to rename their hidden files from _file.jpg to __file.jpg.
I know this may seem like a simple change. But for me this means hours and hours and hours of changes. 100s of filename changes, content changes, preview selection changes. The whole idea behind this is one personal preference over another. I mean, what's to stop someone from saying, "oh man, I have lots of files with double dashes that I'd like to not be hidden". Instead of forcing this change on us, can't you just make a selection in the panel that lets the user select what he/she would like as the hidden file prefix? That way those of us who are fine with a single underscore can happily roll along and those who need another option can have their way also.

Thank you for all the speed improvements for those of us with heavy folder websites
Joe

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: _hidden _files

15 May 2016, 12:33

Yes I see your point, but does that mean that you have 100s of HIDDEN files in your gallery starting with single _underscore? For what purposes?

Keep in mind, the panel now sets preview images automatically when you rename a file, and/or create a file preview.jpg and/or you can use tools -> previews.

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

15 May 2016, 12:47

mjau-mjau wrote:Yes I see your point, but does that mean that you have 100s of HIDDEN files in your gallery starting with single _underscore? For what purposes?
Yes, I have 100s of HIDDEN files in the gallery for the purpose of intermixing content and pictures (story telling above the gallery) that are not part of the gallery.
mjau-mjau wrote:Keep in mind, the panel now sets preview images automatically when you rename a file, and/or create a file preview.jpg and/or you can use tools -> previews.
When you say "the panel now.." what version of X3 are you referring to here. I'm on version 0.17.1. I can't even begin to think about upgrading to 0.18 because all these hidden images would instantly appear on my site. When I rename an image with 0.17.1 I rename the image lets say from _file.jpg to __file.jpg. When I check the details tab, "preview image" is still set to _file.jpg

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 May 2016, 13:00

sprocket wrote:When you say "the panel now.." what version of X3 are you referring to here. I'm on version 0.17.1. I can't even begin to think about upgrading to 0.18 because all these hidden images would instantly appear on my site. When I rename an image with 0.17.1 I rename the image lets say from _file.jpg to __file.jpg. When I check the details tab, "preview image" is still set to _file.jpg
Yes I mean the new panel ... After uploading/deleting/renaming from the panel gallery in latest version, if the current preview image does not exist (for example if you renamed or deleted it), new preview image will be set from first in the folder.
sprocket wrote:Yes, I have 100s of HIDDEN files in the gallery for the purpose of intermixing content and pictures (story telling above the gallery) that are not part of the gallery.
So, we have an unfortunate situation ... I really wish to avoid having to add superfluous settings, although it wouldn't be difficult technically. Let me think about it and get back to you tomorrow ...

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

15 May 2016, 13:11

I'm really not looking forward to all the work involved with updating my site, with this underscore change. Thanks for considering this.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 May 2016, 04:06

Fixed.
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... f=9#p40099
Since double __underscore is default, you will need to set it to "Starting with _".

sprocket
Experienced
Topic Author

16 May 2016, 13:47

Greatly appreciated Karl. Now looking forward to upgrading to version 0.18.1