Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

Photographers: What EXIF fields?

21 Mar 2016, 09:37

I am working on an option to display image EXIF data in the X3 popup, and would like to get some feedback from you photography people about what fields you would like to display ...

The current values are the ones we are displaying on image-landing pages:
Would you remove any of them, and is there anything missing? I will likely remove the DATE item, as that is already an optional separate field in the popup caption.

Likely I will include a way to configure the EXIF, but I would still like to get some feedback ... Half of these settings require parsing to normalize values between different cameras, and to convert some values into human-readable values.

Does anyone know if F_Stop is useful? In my test images, it seems to be the same as the Aperture value, although there seems to be some differences in how it is computed. Perhaps it is different some times?

I am trying to keep it minimalistic, displaying the EXIF tags in the popup caption. I am also not showing any EXIF field-titles, as it seems those who are interested in this, would be also able to figure out each value ... Besides, field-titles would take much more space in the limited caption area, and would require translation settings.
There simply isn't room to display this exif in a vertical list. Where would it be? What about mobile? The above is a fair compromise.

esteban94

Re: Photographers: What EXIF fields?

21 Mar 2016, 09:53

I think Model, focal, exposure, shutter speed and ISO are enough !

margouillat
Experienced

21 Mar 2016, 16:43

model, focal, exposure, shutter speed and ISO 8)
Margouillat
loeildumargouillat.fr

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

21 Mar 2016, 23:20

Thanks guys!

perch1k

22 Mar 2016, 05:59

mjau-mjau wrote:I will likely remove the DATE item, as that is already an optional separate field in the popup caption.

Likely I will include a way to configure the EXIF, but I would still like to get some feedback ... Half of these settings require parsing to normalize values between different cameras, and to convert some values into human-readable values.
Hi!
Do I understand correctly that DATE will not be displayed by default, and as an option you can select the DATE myself? Date display in EXIF very important to me.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

22 Mar 2016, 11:08

perch1k wrote:Do I understand correctly that DATE will not be displayed by default, and as an option you can select the DATE myself? Date display in EXIF very important to me.
Actually, DATE already exists as an option for the popup caption. You can enable it from settings->popup->caption->show date:

In the new pending release, the DATE value is inherited from the images EXIF date.

My point was, the DATE label itself will not be categorized directly with the other EXIF data tags:

perch1k

22 Mar 2016, 12:25

mjau-mjau wrote:In the new pending release, the DATE value is inherited from the images EXIF date.
Thank you for the clarification! Waiting for the new release.

localhost
Experienced

23 Mar 2016, 02:44

I like the Test2 Copy screenshot... I will remove the date and the f/stop value as it is the same with Aperture already.

Camera Make and Model, Lens used, Shutter speed, aperture, ISO and Focal length <-- This is what I'd like to see.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

26 Mar 2016, 02:43

localhost wrote:Lens used
I did some research, and "Lens used" does not seem to be a standard value in EXIF. Do you have an image you can send to me which includes lens-info?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

26 Mar 2016, 11:32

So, we have completed EXIF integration in a pending X3 release, available in a weeks time. I thought I would summarize it in this post for reference, while it's fresh.

EXIF popup display
I have purposely tried to keep it as compact as possible, as to not interfere with the image, and also so it displays nicely on mobile screens.

Default EXIF items
The following EXIF values are displayed by default: Model, Aperture, Focal Length, Exposure and ISO. This is based on feedback from this thread, and is also how they display items on Flickr [ref]:
PS! Shutter speed seems to be the same as Exposure, and is therefore hidden.

Responsive
Keeping it nice and simple so it also works well on small devices. If you add more items, they will wrap to new lines. Screenshot below from iPhone vertical orientation:

Disabled by default
Most websites may not need to display technical information for each image, so it is disabled by default. To enable EXIF, simply enable settings › popup › caption fields › EXIF.

Enable/disable per page
I know some of you will ask "Can I show EXIF only for some galleries?". Yes. In page settings, go to gallery, scroll down to "Show EXIF in Caption". This setting is inherited from your global settings (see above), but can be toggled per-page.

Hide items
Instead of adding a complex panel interface for EXIF, you can easily hide items with custom CSS.
Code
.popup-exif-caption > span.aperture {
  display: none;
}
Pre-hidden Items
There are a few additional hidden items, that can be made visible with custom CSS:
* Make - Seems unnecessary, as this is usually included in the model name.
* Date Taken (date string) - Date is already a separate caption option.
* Shutter Speed - Seems to be a duplicate of Exposure.
* F_stop - Not quite sure what this is, but seems to be the same as Aperture.

* Doubtful you will wish to display any of the additional fields above. If you do, you can use custom CSS:
Code
.popup-exif-caption > span.make {
  display: inline-block;
}
Titles
Except for ISO, all EXIF values are displayed without titles. It seems likely that any visitor who is interested in this technical data, would also be able to read them easily. If you really need to add some title/explanation before or after the value, there is custom CSS available for that. It uses the same technique as we use by default to add "mm" after focal_length and "ISO" before Iso:
Code
.popup-exif-caption > span.aperture:before {
  content: "Aperture";
}

localhost
Experienced

27 Mar 2016, 05:56

Can't wait for this feature...

DmMc28

27 Mar 2016, 21:59

Thanks, Karl - waiting for this feature!

Can you also add some IPTC fields for geo-positioning:

CountryName
ProvinceState
City
Sublocation

(These fields filled automatically based on GPS data in Lightroom, for example)

Or maybe allow gallery owner to add custom fields from EXIF and IPTC using "code" section?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

28 Mar 2016, 05:51

DmMc28 wrote:CountryName
ProvinceState
City
Sublocation
Unfortunately for now, I have to say no to this proposal. These values are not part of EXIF, and not part of anything the camera creates automatically either. The optional IPTC specifications that can be used for apps is massive, and we can't take all this info into consideration and try to format it for design. Furthermore, how would all that data display in the caption? Vertically on new lines? It is simply out of scope technically and by design currently.

You will be able to use GPS data to open a "map link" in an update soon.

DmMc28

28 Mar 2016, 06:01

Parser code you used in X2 deals with IPTC without any issues...
I used to have all my travel photos properly described (speaking about place) automatically.
Example http://makurin.info/x2/#/2016/2016_01_05/lipe-001.jpg or any other photo from the site.
Caption at the left side.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

28 Mar 2016, 06:26

DmMc28 wrote:Parser code you used in X2 deals with IPTC without any issues...
I used to have all my travel photos properly described (speaking about place) automatically.
Example http://makurin.info/x2/#/2016/2016_01_05/lipe-001.jpg or any other photo from the site.
Caption at the left side.
Interesting. Did you configure this from somewhere?